Railroad Thread

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Not_Karl

Re: Railroad Thread

Postby Not_Karl » Mon May 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Would really, REALLY like to fence... railsideperv at one of those!
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Railroad Thread

Postby 3WE » Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 pm

I put a post there about a light news story that the 797 could be built to be operated by one pilot. I mention that only as a secondary comparison to Discovery/History Channel Whatever "Alaska Railroad".

There's a lot of train cab scenes with one Engineer, Brakeman and Conductor. These guys are very much hams and overly-dramatize a LOT of things.

However, the flipside is to truly watch what they do and how history and "external factors" keep three folks on a locomotive where you only have to speed up and slow down...no left or right, no glideslope and no MCAS with bound up trim!

The engineer never gets up from his seat. Not sure the conductor does either...(Not sure what the conductor does...maybe she helps inspect the train?- I take back what I say about never leaving her seat. Then when there's a problem...the brakeman puts on the warm clothes and gets out in the snow and walks the train for brake problems...

Sure seems to me a train could get by with one operator- not that it's not a good idea to have one walk the train and someone in the cab works the brake controls to check stuff out...same for any hooking/switching.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”