Our Journey Through The Wilderness

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

J

Re: Our Journey Through The Wilderness

Postby J » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:12 pm

During a restless overnight flight in the middle seat, row 27, of an MD88 I was wondering if we'd ever get there. Approaching the time of arrival, flashes of lightening could be seen outside the window and our flight crew seemed to have "happy feet" on the rudder pedals as we dodged and weaver through sharp gusts of wind. The flight attendants had been sent to their stations leaving behind the cubs and napkins from the minimal service. I glared at the brimming cup of tomato juice sliding about on my corpulent seat mate's tray table. Traveling light because there would be no overhead bin space for someone in Boarding Zone 8, I only had my one blue button down shirt for this trip. Big splashes of red juice across my front would certainly be a distraction during my upcoming speech. A sudden burst of power from the engines was followed by a stomach- churning drop. The plastic interior panels groaned and squeaked as the fuselage flexed in the storm.
How could our moderators have taken us such a journey? Would I ever see my virtual friends again? Why hadn't I just remained with that other site? True, teenagers obsessing over airplane liveries was tiring but at least one could expect ......wait a minute, we just dropped below the cloud deck. The rocking has suddenly ceased; the engines settled down to a steady whine. Glancing past my seat mate's enormous girth I can see the lights of a great city spread out far below. I hear a hydraulic whine; it must be the slats. Smoothly the lights below glide past slowly rising to meet us. We pass gleaming new towers and rush along a busy highway. No one on the plane seems to care what kinds of cars are speeding along. There is a thump and rush of air as the landing gear drops. My shirt is going to make it. The pool of tomato juice on the tray table is slowly dripping away on the fat man's leg. The plane hovers above the runway and, dropping below stall speed, lightly touches down. A groan of the brakes is followed by a brief roar of the engines. We veer onto a taxiway and roll to a stop, apparently adjacent to a parallel runway. I can hear the roar of a departing aircraft and we are cleared to proceed. Soon we slide to a stop beside a gleaming new terminal building. The gate agent must have been waiting on the jetway; the cabin door opened almost before the passengers bumped and shoved their way into the aisle. A yelp of pain could be heard as a skateboard fell from one of the bins. Being located so far back in the plane it would be many minutes before I could walk down the aisle. Papers and magazines scattered on the floor gave way to pillows and blankets as I passed through the first class section. Exiting the door I stepped into the jetway still smelling of fresh paint. The brightly shining walls told me we had finally arrived. Surely there would be many interesting posts ahead as I stepped through the door to see our wonderful new home.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Good stuff.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

J

Postby J » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:14 am

Since our journey could be coming to an end I took the liberty of bumping this one last time. Thanks for the memories!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Indeed and Concur.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Since our journey could be coming to an end I took the liberty of bumping this one last time. Thanks for the memories!
I think there's a good chance that the old bird will carry on for a bit longer.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Return to “Off Topic Forum”