F.A.O. All

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

David Hilditch

Re: F.A.O. All

Postby David Hilditch » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:52 pm

........But the point I wanted to get at was the importance the old forum had up to a certain extent, contrary to David Hilditch's opinion. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am exaggerating the importance of the findings we had then concerning some accidents.
I understand, Carlos, and thanks for the response you wrote earlier up in the thread. I think you do have an elevated sense of the importance of these forums, even the old one. There's nothing remarkable been going on here. All internet forums have experts, non-experts and interested parties slugging it out. You can read and participate and use their experience to informally 'lead' an investigation, and with time you know whom to take seriously and whom to screen out, in the sense of eliminating certain lines of inquiry and/or pointing towards probable causes. They can be informative, provided you know how to use them, so 'reader beware' applies as always. It's not just those romantic 'old days', though, when you seem to think things were always better. In more recent times I recall the Comair CRJ, TAM A320, British 777, Spanair MD-80, Aeroflot 737, Continental 737 and Dash 8Q400, US Airways A320, Turkish 737, which this and the other forums have all discussed pretty well. In the Comair CRJ case the accident was basically "solved" (at least the 'what', even if not the 'why') after about three hours of internet discussion.

That's all great. It has always seemed to me that the "social" aspects of forums can function simultaneously with the professional and industry aspects. So, we just take our gold where we find it. I just don't know why you took the "social" side so seriously, but that's your business, which is fair enough, so life goes on. I think you always had enough to contribute on aviation themes or off-topic serious issues alone.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks, David, good and fair reply.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Duuuuhh, the drama!

Nothing spectacular to see here: Baseless accusations, innuendo, calumny, lots of hot air ................ that´s our "Pilot, Author, Genius" - I translate to IT ASS - for years now.
Guess what Charlie Boy: You´re wrong again, I´m not Karl.
Still, bring it on. I could contribute with some clarifications about multiple and shared user accounts. Something you condemn so vehemently ...

Think about it, could be real fun. :mrgreen:
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:10 pm

....[Carlos,] I think you do have an elevated sense of the importance of these forums, even the old one. There's nothing remarkable been going on here.....
AD.kilroy.com, AD.resurected.info.com.... no they were/are not reknown, respected epitomes of expert anlysis.

But this group here is special. Everytime I visit jet photos or pprune, I never want to stay long.

Great posts at photos like...."The 727-300 would have been a great plane- don't you think?"......AND THEN SOMEONE TOLD THEM NO, IT WOULD BE INEFFEICENT AND HAVE TERRIBLE TAKEOFF PERFORMANCE. Ok, let's not gloss over any details here.......

PPrue.....there's a lot of experts, but it seems like there's 3 times as many idiots and people maybe even stupider than me.

There is something remarkable here. ;)
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 pm

....[Carlos,] I think you do have an elevated sense of the importance of these forums, even the old one. There's nothing remarkable been going on here.....
AD.kilroy.com, AD.resurected.info.com.... no they were/are not reknown, respected epitomes of expert anlysis.

But this group here is special. Everytime I visit jet photos or pprune, I never want to stay long.

Great posts at photos like...."The 727-300 would have been a great plane- don't you think?"......AND THEN SOMEONE TOLD THEM NO, IT WOULD BE INEFFEICENT AND HAVE TERRIBLE TAKEOFF PERFORMANCE. Ok, let's not gloss over any details here.......

PPrue.....there's a lot of experts, but it seems like there's 3 times as many idiots and people maybe even stupider than me.

There is something remarkable here. ;)
This "something remarkable here" is in part what David calls "the social aspect", somethig you don't find in pprune (where you don't feel the urge to stay long). We know many personal details of many of the more important contributors, we know their way of thinking (and feeling) and we know how to interpret their opinions/findings when things go really sour out there in the aviation world. And on top of that - the social aspect - we have had in the past real moments of pure fun, don't you guys forget this. But I must recall Pipe's words to me about a year ago or so, these times have passed. "Mike, the Deputy", Coy, TDU, the so famous "email ring" and so many other aspects which really represented a bond between most of us (inlcuding personal aspects of us) were basically what is so remarkable here. Including the different episodes with our Aussie members of the "kimono club"... But unfortunately it got diluted with time. I think the real world and what has been going on these last 18 months has probably an effect on it as well.

But getting back to the originator of this thread: is it once again our texan friend putting some logs on the fire and hiding himself behind the trees laughing his ass out? Brilliant once more... Charles, you belong for sure to the so-called "remarkable somethings" of this forum...

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:47 pm

But the point I wanted to get at was the importance the old forum had up to a certain extent, contrary to David Hilditch's opinion. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am exaggerating the importance of the findings we had then concerning some accidents.
I hope you're just wrong and not downright delusional. Even if it was appropriate for you to send those pics to Al (who's not qualified to determine anything whatsoever from them), that hardly means the forum was "weighty and important". I have to agree with Mr. Hilditch here (not a common occurrence) that it seems that you have historically attached a lot more significance to these fora than they ever had coming.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:57 pm

But the point I wanted to get at was the importance the old forum had up to a certain extent, contrary to David Hilditch's opinion. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am exaggerating the importance of the findings we had then concerning some accidents.
I hope you're just wrong and not downright delusional. Even if it was appropriate for you to send those pics to Al (who's not qualified to determine anything whatsoever from them), that hardly means the forum was "weighty and important". I have to agree with Mr. Hilditch here (not a common occurrence) that it seems that you have historically attached a lot more significance to these fora than they ever had coming.
I am aware that my point-of-view regarding this subject is not shared by all of the usual membes here. But on the other side there are other members who have given an even bigger significance to this "dancing floor", some even have disputed sentimental matters here, made threats which have a criminal underlying and some even got married...

Regarding the technical aspect of the forum, David has given already his own view more in depth and we seem to be less apart than it showed in the beginning.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:03 am

I am aware that my point-of-view regarding this subject is not shared by all of the usual members here. But on the other side there are other members who have given an even bigger significance to this "dancing floor"...
Besides Amy, who primarily used the old site to pick up guys, I'm not sure who you mean. Not sure I want to know either.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:29 am

What I don't get is how these so-called moderators around here can tolerate so many flagrant violations of the TOU and still expect the forum to at least appear respectable. Unless they're way past giving a crap, which is entirely possible.

Mr. Snappy
Your Forum Comrade

Postby Mr. Snappy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:00 am

Mr. Snappy does not jerk off to pictures of dead bodies

Mr. Snappy is not a racist

Mr. Snappy is not Mr. Karl

Mr. Snappy is your friend
I like Mick Mouse

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:50 am

What I don't get is how these so-called moderators around here can tolerate so many flagrant violations of the TOU and still expect the forum to at least appear respectable. Unless they're way past giving a crap, which is entirely possible.
While it does seem to be less regulated than the old days I must point out in defence is that we are all grown-up little boys and girls here. That means that we should all converse in a reasonable socially acceptable way. Sometimes the discussion can get heated. You yourself have been known to deliver the odd sharp comment.
To set things straight, the mods cannot ban anyone, just delete, edit or move various posts. Apart from that we can only appeal to the common sense of any antagonists and if things get really deep down and dirty, we can go running to Admin (sir, sir, Jimmy just kicked Bobby!). As far as I know that hasn't happened yet.
Try taking a chill pill and ignore those that piss you off on the site, that doesn't mean never respond to their posts, just try and keep in proportion. It's not always easy I know but it's what I try to do.

Petal

Postby Petal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:29 am

I have not seen my daddy for more than a year!
As I told you, my daddy is a great pilot and my hero.
Does one of you know where I can find him?

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:48 pm

When did you tell us? You only have one post.

BTW - I think they found yer dad (or what was left of him) out in Nevada. He was trying to find a site to establish the world land speed record on a unicycle.

el

Postby el » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:51 pm

It's amazing you are still around to post, isn't it?

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Agree, closing down the TOU brewery in 2003 was a flagrant violation of common sense.
I blame the Danes! Sir G, you listen?
Per
tou beer.jpg
tou beer.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 8369 times

Peter_K

Postby Peter_K » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:00 pm

Look Karl, I have inside information on what you did to Amy.
And I have inside information on what you did to FBN.

Not a pretty sight.
Was UFO over Texas and the infamous anal probe involved?

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Are you my mummy?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:56 am

Your spelling has really improved.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

The Notorious STG

Postby The Notorious STG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:08 pm

ITS, I thought it was Matt Ungers turn to be bashed this month, not Karls.

J

Postby J » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 am

Why all the dissatisfaction? Simultaneous worldwide communication via these pages is a miracle.To wit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Agree, closing down the TOU brewery in 2003 was a flagrant violation of common sense.
Per

Until just now I had no idea of the existence of TOU brewery, and in 2003 I was still in Luxembourg, drinking beers of that region. Even if I had known of TOU, I doubt that my consumption of their brew would have secured their survival....
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Per

Until just now I had no idea of the existence of TOU brewery, and in 2003 I was still in Luxembourg, drinking beers of that region. Even if I had known of TOU, I doubt that my consumption of their brew would have secured their survival....
Probably not, but since you are Danish I still blame you, partially. Carlsberg (Group or whatever) bought TOU and subsequently closet it down and moved the production elsewhere. The locals never forgave them, personally I think TOU tastet shit. :mrgreen:
Per

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Probably not, but since you are Danish I still blame you, partially. Carlsberg (Group or whatever) bought TOU and subsequently closet it down and moved the production elsewhere. The locals never forgave them, personally I think TOU tastet shit. :mrgreen:
Per
Carlsberg? That is a four-letter word in this household! They are bastards through and through.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Per
Carlsberg? That is a four-letter word in this household! They are bastards through and through.
I'll drink to that.........come Friday. Nine "boys" aged from late twenties to.....ahem, slightly older will be heading up high for a few days of sporting activies including the in-official South-to-Mid-Norwegian Championship in Jagermeister-Skijumping, Toboganning while under the influence of Akkevitt and Outdoor Beer and Bar-B-Q.
Per

IntheShade
ISGPOTM, 2nd only to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger

Postby IntheShade » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Carlos, did you ever consider that the name Karl is German?
Aviation Pilot, Author, Genius

Return to “Off Topic Forum”