Daytona 500

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Sir Henry

Daytona 500

Postby Sir Henry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 am

Has anybody been to the Daytona 500 yet? Anybody willing and able to give some advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhoFUI9xEm4

OldSowBreath

Re: Daytona 500

Postby OldSowBreath » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 pm

You absolutely must wear a jersey with your favorite driver's name on it. You must wear a dirty gimme-cap with the name of an auto parts distributor on it. You must drink Bud or Bud Lite beer. You must have a snuff ring on your jeans' back pocket. You must smoke Marlboro Reds in the hard box. Your girlfriend must show cleavage and wear a crumpled straw cowboy hat. You must randomly scream "f***ing restrictor plates!" and "Freebird!" You must wave a Confederate flag. You must share your Red Man with random strangers by saying, "Chew?" As your least favorite driver passes you in the stands you must shout "You sucked at Talladega, asshole!"

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:22 pm

You absolutely must wear a jersey with your favorite driver's name on it.
Like any rule, there are notable exceptions; you may go for this look:

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 am

You absolutely must wear a jersey with your favorite driver's name on it. You must wear a dirty gimme-cap with the name of an auto parts distributor on it. You must drink Bud or Bud Lite beer. You must have a snuff ring on your jeans' back pocket. You must smoke Marlboro Reds in the hard box. Your girlfriend must show cleavage and wear a crumpled straw cowboy hat. You must randomly scream "f***ing restrictor plates!" and "Freebird!" You must wave a Confederate flag. You must share your Red Man with random strangers by saying, "Chew?" As your least favorite driver passes you in the stands you must shout "You sucked at Talladega, asshole!"
I guess these are rather useful hints, thanks a lot.

My English is quite okay, I suppose, but I don't understand this:
You must share your Red Man with random strangers by saying, "Chew?"
Any idea what seating would be best in order to be able to experience most of the above mentionod atmosphere?

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:48 am

You absolutely must wear a jersey with your favorite driver's name on it.
Like any rule, there are notable exceptions; you may go for this look:

I guess I stick to a t-shirt, then. :-)

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Sir Henry: Red Man is chewing tobacco that comes in a foil pouch and has an Indian on it.

Two numbers are sacred in NASCAR; "3" for Dale Earnhardt, Sr., who died at Daytona in 2001 and "43" belonging to the retired Richard Petty. Feel free to wear jerseys with either number.

And for you own protection, take some sunglasses (Richard Petty style) and foam earplugs.

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Sir Henry: Red Man is chewing tobacco that comes in a foil pouch and has an Indian on it.
Got it.
Two numbers are sacred in NASCAR; "3" for Dale Earnhardt, Sr., who died at Daytona in 2001

Yeah, I will stand up in lap 3 and raise three fingers.

What about:

Putting up a rainbow flag?
Wearing an Airbus cap?
Driving in a Toyota to the race?
Wearing a shirt saying "God Does Not Exist!" or "Jesus Doesn't Know You"?
Drinking red wine and telling everybody "Bud sucks"?

Procede

Postby Procede » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:37 pm

I'd go with"Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole".

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Marcos Ambrose that is all.
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

Marc 1

Postby Marc 1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:10 am

Got it.
Two numbers are sacred in NASCAR; "3" for Dale Earnhardt, Sr., who died at Daytona in 2001

Yeah, I will stand up in lap 3 and raise three fingers.

What about:

Putting up a rainbow flag?
Wearing an Airbus cap?
Driving in a Toyota to the race?
Drinking red wine and telling everybody "Bud sucks"?
You could combine a few of these as the Top Gear team did when they drove through the deep south with cars adorned with "gay pride" "Man Love" and "Hillary for President"

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:58 am

You could combine a few of these as the Top Gear team did when they drove through the deep south with cars adorned with "gay pride" "Man Love" and "Hillary for President"
Yeah, I remember this very show. Quite funny.

But this raises the most interesting point about the whole topic. I am, obviously, aware that NASCAR is mostly connected to the South and it's way of living. But what about races that are held in the North of the country? Do only Southern "ex-pats" join these races?

For me, I am only interested in the racing. Concluding from your comments, however, I am afraid I got to take a class in Southern Life first?! Where is AmyB when she is most needed?

Procede

Postby Procede » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:03 pm

You forgot "Nascar sucks".

Lomcevak

Postby Lomcevak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:20 pm

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:29 pm

But this raises the most interesting point about the whole topic. I am, obviously, aware that NASCAR is mostly connected to the South and it's way of living. But what about races that are held in the North of the country? Do only Southern "ex-pats" join these races?

For me, I am only interested in the racing. Concluding from your comments, however, I am afraid I got to take a class in Southern Life first?! Where is AmyB when she is most needed?
What do you want to know? I have frequented many Nascar races though I am from the "North". Yes it is a predominantly "Southern" flavoured event but as you head to Dover (DE), Pocono (PA), Loudon, (NH), Watkins Glen (NY)...and even Michigan, you get many different walks of life because, let's face it, there aren't a lot of races up here. Montreal (QC) has it's own Nationwide Series race but I seriously doubt if the Nascar Sprint Cup series will ever come north of the border. The racing in both these series can be intense...it just depends a lot on the track. Some tracks breed more cautions than others. The competitors are just that...competitors. They ALL want to win which makes it an interesting series. I'm not sure what exactly you wanted for information - but I hope this has helped a little bit. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ~ WOW, what a ride~!!!

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:04 am

The nationwide racing is by far the best...

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:13 am

[quote="sindeewell"What do you want to know? I have frequented many Nascar races though I am from the "North". Yes it is a predominantly "Southern" flavoured event but as you head to Dover (DE), Pocono (PA), Loudon, (NH), Watkins Glen (NY)...and even Michigan, you get many different walks of life because, let's face it, there aren't a lot of races up here. Montreal (QC) has it's own Nationwide Series race but I seriously doubt if the Nascar Sprint Cup series will ever come north of the border. The racing in both these series can be intense...it just depends a lot on the track. Some tracks breed more cautions than others. The competitors are just that...competitors. They ALL want to win which makes it an interesting series. I'm not sure what exactly you wanted for information - but I hope this has helped a little bit. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.[/quote]

Talking about Daytona, I wonder if you would prefer being in the infield or on the stands? Second, if I will go for a seat on the stands, do you think it is better to be seated higher up in order to get a better overview or do you prefer to be seated lower in order to be closer to the action?

I understand you can rent some headsets giving you the possibility to listen to the chatter between the crew and the driver. Is it worth it?

Do you think the Daytona 500 is overrated and I will get the same racing experince for better money elsewhere?

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:53 pm

The infield is filed with drunks. The stands are just filed with alcoholics.

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:31 pm

The infield is filed with drunks. The stands are just filed with alcoholics.
As long as the alcoholics are sober during the race I couldn't care less.

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Talking about Daytona, I wonder if you would prefer being in the infield or on the stands? Second, if I will go for a seat on the stands, do you think it is better to be seated higher up in order to get a better overview or do you prefer to be seated lower in order to be closer to the action?

I understand you can rent some headsets giving you the possibility to listen to the chatter between the crew and the driver. Is it worth it?

Do you think the Daytona 500 is overrated and I will get the same racing experince for better money elsewhere?
Its a 2 mile track and you honestly can't see anything from the infield. I definitely suggest the stands as high up as possible. My first time @ Daytona we were very low (Row 2 or 3) - couldn't see anything and when the cars went by it was a blur....but what a rush!

I strongly recommend renting the headsets. About $50 for the weekend and well worth it. Being an avid fan, its cool to hear what's going on "behind the scenes".

Daytona is an experience. I've been - and may go again sometime but there are many other tracks that I personally would rather see. Because they attain speeds of almost 200 mph it can be pretty wild. It just depends on what you want to see. If you want to go to another super-speedway, Talladadega is pretty awesome. I have never been but the races are usually pretty competitive there. Personally I prefer short track and want to go to Bristol - a half-mile soup-bowl like track. Now that is competitive! LOL

Hope this helps.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ~ WOW, what a ride~!!!

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:26 pm

Make sure to check out Tony Stewart's pit crew and look for Donkey

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 am

Its a 2 mile track and you honestly can't see anything from the infield. I definitely suggest the stands as high up as possible. My first time @ Daytona we were very low (Row 2 or 3) - couldn't see anything and when the cars went by it was a blur....but what a rush!

I strongly recommend renting the headsets. About $50 for the weekend and well worth it. Being an avid fan, its cool to hear what's going on "behind the scenes".

Daytona is an experience. I've been - and may go again sometime but there are many other tracks that I personally would rather see. Because they attain speeds of almost 200 mph it can be pretty wild. It just depends on what you want to see. If you want to go to another super-speedway, Talladadega is pretty awesome. I have never been but the races are usually pretty competitive there. Personally I prefer short track and want to go to Bristol - a half-mile soup-bowl like track. Now that is competitive! LOL

Hope this helps.
A lot!

Do the headsets work as a hearing protection as well? Or do I have to plug in the yellow foam stuff?

I tend to go for a restrictor plate race, either Daytona or Talladega.

Do you think that the extra money for being right opposite to the pit road would be worth it?

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:25 pm

The headsets are "insulated" and do provide protection from the noise so no need for the squishy yellow ear protectors.

Tickets on the front stretch are very good. Warning though if you sit at the entrance to pit road (as they come off turn 4) you will not be able to see the other end where they come off of pit road back onto the track. If possible try to get something as close to the Start/Finish line to give you a better view of it all.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out for you.

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:11 am

Can you switch the channels on these headsets or do you have to stick to a driver once you got it? What if this driver screws up in lap 1?

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Can you switch the channels on these headsets or do you have to stick to a driver once you got it? What if this driver screws up in lap 1?
You can switch drivers through out the race no big deal. Very efficient apparatus. I will not go without one again.

Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Can the drivers actually talk to each other via radio during the race?

Return to “Off Topic Forum”