"Gay" or "Not Gay"?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

jcamp2112

Re: "Gay" or "Not Gay"?

Postby jcamp2112 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:02 am

Yes, I meant the difference between "lossy" formats.

Such is also true that these issue are not only limited to the IPOD, but is a gripe I have with mp3 players in general, and the IPOD being the biggest offender for obvious reasons. (mainly because it's the most popular)

The problems I have with the ipod are not necessarily the AAC files themselves, but the choice of form over function. They do too many "pretty" or "cool" things, and not enough useful things (like even a simple 3 band graphic or parametric eq would be nice!)

And I don't think I'm the only one who feels that Ipod Ear Buds are pure unadultered garbage either!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:29 am

f*** lossy compression. I am talking about the iPod as a source for lossless, uncompressed music. .WAV - I made that clear. Defaults? Again - a complete side issue.

I'm complaining because you're trashing a product on groundless gripes.
If you wanted to gripe about the iPod's closed API, unreplaceable battery, and feature bloat with coverflow, games etc then fine - but this was a focussed argument on the sound quality delivered by the unit.

I am not an Apple fanboi. I do not own a Mac or any other Apple product. Even if I were,
my statements are debunking your bullshit rather than propping up Steve Jobs'.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 am

Gerry, Gerry.

Do your research. Hitachi and Sony fell out over a number of reasons - they talked for a LONG time. No talking took place around the time of VHS and Beta - DVD was a result of Sony not having a good enough technology at the time to be able to put up a good credible alternative. They decided not to get left behind with DVD and put a lot of corporate balls into the ring. The two camps fell out because Sony wanted too big a cut and Toshiba wouldnt swallow it.

watch out for HVD coming soon, Holographic disks.... :-)
And still with a lot of talking there were (for computers) different DVD standards which in the beginning only one player could read, like DVD+R or the DVD-R. O.K. today that's no problem because almost every computer system comes with a multiformat DVD player. But why this hassle? It's the customer who has to pay for this failure.

Gerry, the war is over. Blueray has won. With the existing DVD camp, multiformat drives were available when the market got really mature - back in 2002 - which is a long time ago now. In any case, DVD-RAM was only supported by one major manufacturer exclusively (Panasonic) and the spec for - and + were essentially merged into other vendors products early in the game. Bit of a non-issue IMHO and certainly much less inconvenient than the terrible format war that we could have had if Toshiba had belligerently stuck to their guns and pushed cut price HD-DVD machines onto the market for another year or 3.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

einesellesenie

Postby einesellesenie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:26 am

f*** lossy compression...

That is a great signature line, thnx :D
From listening comes wisdom, and from speaking repentance... and f*** lossy compression

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 am

f*** lossy compression...

That is a great signature line, thnx :D
How about "fk lssy cmprssn"?

jcamp2112

Postby jcamp2112 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 am

f*** lossy compression. I am talking about the iPod as a source for lossless, uncompressed music. .WAV - I made that clear. Defaults? Again - a complete side issue.

I'm complaining because you're trashing a product on groundless gripes.
If you wanted to gripe about the iPod's closed API, unreplaceable battery, and feature bloat with coverflow, games etc then fine - but this was a focussed argument on the sound quality delivered by the unit.

I am not an Apple fanboi. I do not own a Mac or any other Apple product. Even if I were,
my statements are debunking your bullshit rather than propping up Steve Jobs'.
Trashing a product on groundless gripes? You yourself have listed the numerous issues with it, and those are also contributing factors as to why I MYSELF don't like them.

Ok, great, it's estblished, IPOD's can play .wav files. Wooopy friggin dooo! That and a whole bunch of $40 basic flash mp3/wav players.

I don't understand why, if you don't even own one, why you're sticking up for them? I've used one extensively, and I can't stand them. Period.

So maybe I took my "apple bashing" too far, fine. I apologize then. Don't get so worked up monchavo, I don't wanna make an enemy over a stupid Ipod thread, seriously!

Lets just agree to disagree and get on with it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 am

What I found to be a major pain in the neck with DVD - and + was simply the name of the formats. Especially the "-" variation lead me to several mis-purchases as I mistook the "-" for a simple dash to separate "DVD" from "4.7 GBytes" (it so happens I have to buy a pack of DVD's only every 2 years or so, and more often than not I find my drive outdated after using it only once or twice ;-)
space intentionally left blank

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 pm

What I found to be a major pain in the neck with DVD - and + was simply the name of the formats. Especially the "-" variation lead me to several mis-purchases as I mistook the "-" for a simple dash to separate "DVD" from "4.7 GBytes" (it so happens I have to buy a pack of DVD's only every 2 years or so, and more often than not I find my drive outdated after using it only once or twice ;-)
This is what I meant when I said, that the customer has to pay for stupidities they could have negotiated much earlier. Some people have already HD-DVD at home, now it's no more supported, money gone. They have to buy now Blu-ray discs and player. Good for the industry.

How much money is lost from starting planning on the HD-DVD until it's thrown in the bin? This shouldn't be.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:35 am

How much money is lost from starting planning on the HD-DVD until it's thrown in the bin? This shouldn't be.
A bit like the Ford Edsel. Like it or not, it is not always the best system that get to go ahead, it is a question of money and advertising.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 am

A bit like the Ford Edsel. Like it or not, it is not always the best system that get to go ahead, it is a question of money and advertising.
See: VHS vs. Betamax.
Betamax used to be the superior system: better quality video, smaller cassettes that took up considerably less space. But VHS had the better marketing and won in the end.
Up to this point, I had invested heavily in Betamax recorders and cassettes ... :cry:

It's not really bad when more than one new system are competing for some time, but the period of competition shouldn't be too long.

This time, I sat it out although from the beginning I'd tended toward blueray because blue is my favorite color ;-)

BTW, the same applies to political campaigns. If it were my choice, I'd just nominate Hillary, period.
space intentionally left blank

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:18 am

For some reason I have about 50 Laser Discs sitting around, they don't see much action these days. But they are big and shiny!
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Absolutely right Sir Gallivant, when you bet on the wrong horse it can cost you some money. And after it's no longer supported, you can forget it. (Or use only the old discs...)

DeskFlyer

Postby DeskFlyer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 am

See: VHS vs. Betamax.
Betamax used to be the superior system: better quality video, smaller cassettes that took up considerably less space. But VHS had the better marketing and won in the end.
Up to this point, I had invested heavily in Betamax recorders and cassettes ... :cry:
Then my friend have I got the perfect hand-made betamax sized cassette rack for you!
True, it was supposed to be VHS sized, but I got carried away with the woodworking tools (quiet down back!) and it ended up beta sized.
I ended up giving it at a Christmas gift to my eccentric Grandfather (NO relation to any other previously featured grandfathers ;) ) being the only member in the family who had a betamax vcr.

Am i correct in thinking beta versus VHS was a defacto battle between Sony and Philips?

DF
Darth: Luke, I know what you are getting for Christmas.
Luke: Noooo! That's impossible.
Darth: I felt your presents.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:51 am

Absolutely right Sir Gallivant, when you bet on the wrong horse it can cost you some money. And after it's no longer supported, you can forget it. (Or use only the old discs...)
At the time the Laser Disc came out, DVD was not yet on the market, but it wasn't long after that it came. I could (in theory) record all my LD's and either keep them on harddisks or burn them on DVD's, but I am not sure I am going to spend the time doing it.

But imagine the amount of data a a 12" disc could contain if made as a DVD or BluRay........
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

einesellesenie

Postby einesellesenie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:14 am

At the time the Laser Disc came out, DVD was not yet on the market, but it wasn't long after that it came. I could (in theory) record all my LD's and either keep them on harddisks or burn them on DVD's, but I am not sure I am going to spend the time doing it.

But imagine the amount of data a a 12" disc could contain if made as a DVD or BluRay........
If it makes you feel better, I still deal with a train simulator group installation that uses LDs as image sources for the training scenarios... 6 Pioneer LD players: great for the job at the time because they had full frame-per-frame, remotely controlled variable speed playback capability.

No, the guys won't buy your collection :mrgreen:
From listening comes wisdom, and from speaking repentance... and f*** lossy compression

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 pm

Am i correct in thinking beta versus VHS was a defacto battle between Sony and Philips?

DF
VHS was invented by JVC. Philips came with the Video2000 system.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”