Great Moments in American Funerals

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

J

Great Moments in American Funerals

Postby J » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 pm

Ohio man’s dying wish — to be buried riding his 1967 Harley-Davidson — fulfilled with extra-large casket

(Here he is on his bike. Article shows him in his clear casket.)

A motorcycle enthusiast’s family has fulfilled his dying wish — to be buried astride his beloved Harley-Davidson encased in a see-through casket.
But it hasn’t been easy. The project required an extra-large cemetery plot to accommodate a Plexiglas casket for Billy Standley and his hulking custom-painted 1967 Electra Glide cruiser. Five embalmers worked to prepare his body with a metal back brace and straps to ensure he’ll never lose his seat.
Standley’s family said he’d been talking about it for years and liked to take people to the garage to show off the unusual casket his two sons had built for him. He told people he didn’t just want to ride off to heaven, he wanted the world to see him do it in the big see-through box.
“He was a quirky man,” daughter Dorothy Brown said. “But when it comes to us kids, he loved us, he raised us well and, of course, we wanted to help him.”
The Dayton Daily News reported that Standley died of lung cancer Sunday at age 82. He buried Friday.
A newspaper photo of the prepared casket shows Standley with his eyes closed astride the big bike. He’s dressed in black leathers, a white helmet and glasses, his gloved hands grasping the handlebars.
Standley told his family his motorcycle helped him retain his sense of adventure after he settled down to raise four children, which was quite a compromise for the man who made his start at 13 as ranch hand and rodeo rider.
He started the project himself, buying three extra burial plots next to his wife, Lorna. His sons, Pete and Roy, fashioned the casket out of Plexiglas, reinforcing the bottom with wood and steel rods to handle the extra weight.
Enlisting the help of Vernon Funeral Homes, Standley ensured his funeral would be held outside, so all his biker friends could watch his final ride.
His family agreed the processional to the cemetery might be a little bizarre, even shocking.
“He’d done right by us all these years, and at least we could see he goes out the way he wanted to,” Pete Standley said.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/31 ... ge-casket/

Ancient Mariner

Re: Great Moments in American Funerals

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:18 pm

That's what he wanted, that's what he got. Good on him.
I have my own plans, all in writing and certified.
Per

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Per
To be buried in a giant Akkevitt bottle?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:42 pm

Per
That's not burial, that's pickling. Have planned something slightly more subtle.
Per

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 am

Per
That's not burial, that's pickling. Have planned something slightly more subtle.
Per
I've always liked the idea of having one's ashes sprinkled in a local vineyard......
Friends can drink to your memory as your molecules get recycled.
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 am

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

"Rivera had a 5-15 record in the 130-pound weight class."

"Just another journeyman stiff."

"He coudd'a been a cadaver."

Return to “Off Topic Forum”