FAO: Per

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

FAO: Per

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Young Ms. 3WE is giving the parental units a full-court press to visit Iceland.

I much prefer watching paint dry and reading aviation fora, but this would be a chance to monitor flap usage and photograph beverage services- probably in beautifully-handing A319/20/21 composite crackerbox religious worship pods.

And, being more serious- I do enjoy the outdoors and beautiful places and geology.

Would you offer some thoughts / insight?:

Hell yes, absolutely go to Iceland?

Be sure to see this, but avoid that?

Absolutely do NOT go, it's an ugly, cold, cloudy, God-forsaken place where the sun doesn't shine and the visibility averages below 1 mile?

Thanks in advance.

-3BS
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

J

Re: FAO: Per

Postby J » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:35 pm

It is interesting seeing wisps of steam coming from cracks in the sidewalk and the air is clean after being scrubbed by hundreds of miles of ocean. The yards of many homes are mostly lumps of moss-covered lava and you will see 2-3 trees. (Understand there are more of them in the northern part of the island). In the center of Reykjavik are a few square blocks of what would pass for a European city. The rest is modern sprawl with amusingly tiny traffic jams. The famous Blue Lagoon hot springs is large and it is an odd experience to trot from the locker room through sleet prior to reaching the steaming waters. If you go,'consider renting a car and seeing the stark , beautiful landscape.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Visited Iceland this February. Fantastic place, a top ten on any sane person's bucket list.
Rent a car, don't rush, pick the best restaurants, eat cod, relax, enjoy. Nothing like it.
Weather? Out of your control, but who cares, on Iceland?
Go, go, go!
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks fellow forumites...

The visit will be this month and not February and the question is evolving to less of "SHOULD" we go to more of "WHAT ADVICE FOR WHEN we are there".

If the timing changes recommendations (other than maybe I don't need a heavy coat), please let me know.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks fellow forumites...

The visit will be this month and not February and the question is evolving to less of "SHOULD" we go to more of "WHAT ADVICE FOR WHEN we are there".

If the timing changes recommendations (other than maybe I don't need a heavy coat), please let me know.
How long will you stay?
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Roughly 1 week.

reubee

Postby reubee » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:33 am

I much prefer watching paint dry and reading aviation fora, but this would be a chance to monitor flap usage and photograph beverage services- probably in beautifully-handing A319/20/21 composite crackerbox religious worship pods.
Chances are it will be a Boeing

I spent a few days there just after 9/11. Reykjavik is in effect a small town so make sure you plan to get out and about. I recall Blue Lagoon, and getting out on a tour to see a waterfall that also took in a Geyser and a graphic view of the fault line, and a whale watching tour with no whales. Also if Mrs 3WE wants to sleep in, the downtown airport is within walking distance of downtown.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:34 am

I would very much like to visit at some point in the future. It's on my list of must visits.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 pm

There was much geology, and little vegetation. Both beautiful and ugly-stark-dead at the same time.

The temperatures were around 50F....I consider that comfortable. In fact, this soft, xenophobic, monolingual American was dressed somewhat lighter than other tourists and locals.

It was July and there was significant amounts of light at Midnight.

The place is extremely travel friendly. except for San Jaun...I mean Reykjavik.

The culture is a little bit unhelpful, uninformative...but then again refreshing.

The food was good.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:27 am

There was much geology, and little vegetation. Both beautiful and ugly-stark-dead at the same time.

The temperatures were around 50F....I consider that comfortable. In fact, this soft, xenophobic, monolingual American was dressed somewhat lighter than other tourists and locals.

The culture is a little bit unhelpful, uninformative...but then again refreshing.

The food was good.
My observation is that the Icelanders are a bit like the Finns. I would love to hear Per's opinion of Finland.
Glad you had a nice trip, Mr 3WE
____

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 am

The food was good.
My observation is that the Icelanders are a bit like the Finns. I would love to hear Per's opinion of Finland.
Glad you had a nice trip, Mr 3WE
Boring scenery and the Finns themselves needs to be even more pissed than us Norskies before they open up, and then you don't understand one word of their slurrings. One hour after the final shot of Koskenkorva they enter a deep depression before finally committing suicide.
Check out their TV dramas before considering Finland as a tourist destination. Do not watch more than two or you will also consider suicide.
Oh, and they stole our Satan Clause. :evil:
Per

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Bloody good drivers though!
____

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Bloody good drivers though!
Mostly failed suicides or from rushing through the forest trying to reach the local Alko before it closes, while in desperate need of another Koskenkorva.
http://www.alko.fi/en/
Per

reubee

Postby reubee » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:33 am

The food was good.
what about the flap deployment, food service, etc

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:07 am

http://airdisaster.info/10/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6083 ;)
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:26 am

The food was good.
Do you remember the name of the restaurants you honoured with your presence and USD?
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Do you remember the name of the restaurants you honoured with your presence and USD?
Per
Cannot remember names, apologies. (and apologies for my spelling of these places).

Day 1: Rekyavick, some fancy seafod place. Menu items: Catch of the day for 3BS and some other fish thing for young one. Very good.
Day 2: Small town on the water, somewhat Northwest- though Not_In the Western Fijords. Menu items: Fish and chips for3 BS and Lamb for young one. This was AWESOME!

Day 3: Ayeuri, some fancy place on the fifth floor. Menu items- some fish thing for 3BS and Sushi for young one...it was OK- but more fancy than quality.

Day 4: Some outskirt's settlement a few KM NE of Rekyavick. Menu items Lamb for 3BS and salad for young one. It was good.

Day 5: A 'traditional' icelandic bar in Rekyavick. Menu items: Fermented shark (nasty and wreaked of NH4), Fermented whale (I swear it was beef chunks), Dried fish (Ok)...Main course, 'Catch of the day' (awesome). Young one's main course- I forget.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:57 pm

http://airdisaster.info/10/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6083 ;)
Thanks...I think I did a farily good job describing flap usage (including unanswered questions), (along with covering the Not_so_free beverage service).

Return to “Off Topic Forum”