F.A.O.: Flyboy

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: el, FrankM, Dmmoore

User avatar
flyboy2548m
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Re: Comments made [i]there[/i]...

Postby flyboy2548m » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44 pm

3WE wrote:I think we need to get busy on finding Flygirl.


Little late now, seven years with the same Flygirl already.
Chief Pilot/ACJ Program Manager, Vandelay Industries, Inc

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: Comments made [i]there[/i]...

Postby 3WE » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 pm

flyboy2548m wrote:
3WE wrote:I think we need to get busy on finding Flygirl.


Little late now, seven years with the same Flygirl already.


Very well, then.

Good luck with your further atypical pilot relationship status.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Sat May 14, 2016 9:30 pm

For the record, I am aware that the Flight aware has a few inaccuracies with respect to weather and aircraft location.

And mildly surprised that our 50,000 hour pilot took the bait.

In his defense, I'm sure that boxes don't check their smart phones and question their pilots regarding storm avoidance.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 am

3WE wrote:And mildly surprised that our 50,000 hour pilot took the bait.

Time to ask about downwind turns?
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
flyboy2548m
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

3WE wrote:For the record, I am aware that the Flight aware has a few inaccuracies with respect to weather and aircraft location.



Noted.
Chief Pilot/ACJ Program Manager, Vandelay Industries, Inc

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Mon May 30, 2016 7:42 pm

flyboy2548m wrote: One checkie sort of under his breath muttered "you know they don't pay you extra for hand-flying, right?"

flyboy2548m wrote:Myself, I'm not a real big fan of autobrakes.

Time to change your username to "cowboy2548m"?
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Mon May 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Not_Karl wrote:
flyboy2548m wrote: One checkie sort of under his breath muttered "you know they don't pay you extra for hand-flying, right?"

flyboy2548m wrote:Myself, I'm not a real big fan of autobrakes.

Time to change your username to "cowboy2548m"?


This is flyboy2548m...

...He knows his procedures.

...If he uses lots of not_autobrakes, I'm sure that the FCOM for the A320-2548m says "Autobrakes as needed, with super genius former regional pilots knowing exactly when they should be used and when they can be off".
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:35 pm

3WE wrote:This is flyboy2548m...

...He knows his procedures.

...If he uses lots of not_autobrakes, I'm sure that the FCOM for the A320-2548m says "Autobrakes as needed, with super genius former regional pilots knowing exactly when they should be used and when they can be off".

While I'm in no way doubting Flyboy's super-geniusness, I would still like to know Evan's opinion :ugeek: :mrgreen: .
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 pm

Not_Karl wrote:
3WE wrote:This is flyboy2548m...

...He knows his procedures.

...If he uses lots of not_autobrakes, I'm sure that the FCOM for the A320-2548m says "Autobrakes as needed, with super genius former regional pilots knowing exactly when they should be used and when they can be off".

While I'm in no way doubting Flyboy's super-geniusness, I would still like to know Evan's opinion :ugeek: :mrgreen: .


I would start a new thread, there.

Since you struggle with Englais, (though not nearly as much as I struggle with Espanol) let me suggest the following wording:

Not_Karl, there will wrote:Hi, I am an aviation enthusiast. As you can tell by my avatar, I love genius pilots who take tail-dragging, single-engine, autopilot-lacking, fly-by-direct-mechanical-linkage, biplanes and drop toilet paper rolls, and then chase them down and shred the paper...

From playing MSFS and a little internet searching, I have learned that a lot of airplanes have autobrakes. I was wondering if any of the aviation experts here (Boeing Bobby, especially or V-Nav) could advise me as to the specific situations where autobrakes must be used, or if the pilot ever has the option to turn them off, or how soon the pilot can turn them off during the landing roll out...and any other specific situational details calling for the "Level 1, 2, 3 or Max".

I am particularly interested in what the procedures are for the A320 series of aircraft. If you happen to know them for the B737 fine, but I'd worry that the procedures may differ by aircraft.

Also, it is my understanding that Vandelay Airlines is so desperate for pilots that they are offering a program to hire anyone showing an honest enthusiasm for aviation, a reasonable IQ, and a solid sense of humour? Can anyone steer me to this company and their web-job-application portal?

By the way, I'd also like to know if Vandelay Airlines is on Evan's not_fly list or not.

Thanks in advance and take it easy.


The phrase "any of the aviation experts here" is key to this effort.

You're welcome :mrgreen:
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Thank you.

I should also ask if we should punish manual flying and not using auto-aids in any specific way.
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:09 pm

Not_Karl wrote:I should also ask if we should punish manual flying and not using auto-aids in any specific way.


I'm kind of ashamed to have put Boeing Bobby and VNav in such a similar context.

I think they both could provide some outstanding, entertaining commentary, even though there'd be some important, type-specific, subtle differences in their replies.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
flyboy2548m
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby flyboy2548m » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:57 am

I'm honestly not real sure what the sudden interest in autobrakes is. Why are they such a big deal all of a sudden?
Chief Pilot/ACJ Program Manager, Vandelay Industries, Inc

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:26 am

flyboy2548m wrote:Why are they such a big deal all of a sudden?


They're not that big of a deal.

I was kind of curious, you kind of answered my inquiry and Not_Karl jumped on your comment that you don't like them all that much...

...because it fuels the irony, contrast and humor of Evan and his Uber-procedural-computers-not-people mindset.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:04 am

3WE wrote:...because it fuels the irony, contrast and humor of Evan and his Uber-procedural-computers-not-people mindset.

Indeed.

Sorry for our cryptic, obscure "humor" :oops: :mrgreen: .
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

elaw
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby elaw » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:59 pm

flyboy2548m wrote:I'm honestly not real sure what the sudden interest in autobrakes is. Why are they such a big deal all of a sudden?

Because we wish Evan had them? 8-)
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:41 pm

elaw wrote:
flyboy2548m wrote:I'm honestly not real sure what the sudden interest in autobrakes is. Why are they such a big deal all of a sudden?

Because we wish Evan had them? 8-)


I think if Not_Karl put any kind of post asking for the autobrake procedures on an Airbus, Evan would be spewing all kinds of possibly out-dated, acronym-laden FCOM procedures...

...although, based on Flyboy's comments, the FCOM autobrake procedures may be a tad dull.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 pm

3WE wrote:I think if Not_Karl put any kind of post asking for the autobrake procedures on an Airbus, Evan would be spewing all kinds of possibly out-dated, acronym-laden FCOM procedures...

No need to do it there, Evan is here!
(Yes, I know, he said he only came here to explain Verbie's and PP's dumb and illogical AP limits, but I'm hoping he stays...)
...but I don't think he enjoys our humour and sarcasm :cry: .
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
flyboy2548m
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:04 am

I've elaborated on this autobrakes business in the Q&A section, maybe "we" can move on now, St Pelagea of Thessaloniki willing....
Chief Pilot/ACJ Program Manager, Vandelay Industries, Inc

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Who cares about autobrakes?

Here is some much more critical, and complicated automation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9jHC9zRJA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dain-lD2Gv0

Sooo many parallels, complexities, near total disaster potential, hydraulic valves, operate-by-wire, cheap composites...
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:20 pm

3WE wrote:Who cares about autobrakes?

Here is some much more critical, and complicated automation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9jHC9zRJA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dain-lD2Gv0

Sooo many parallels, complexities, near total disaster potential, hydraulic valves, operate-by-wire, cheap composites...

I'd hate to experience a "what's it doing now?" moment in one of those.... Or, God forbid, losing an AP during a critical phase of the "flight".

I don't trust that erectile water nozzle :? .
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:46 pm

We like the 757.

We thought it was much more modern and efficient than all the 1960's era stuff.

We think it should be reworked and reintroduced.

Besides, it's a Boeing!

We also like disco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFbn8EbB4k

So there!
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

User avatar
flyboy2548m
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:29 am

3WE wrote:We like the 757.



As do I.
Chief Pilot/ACJ Program Manager, Vandelay Industries, Inc

elaw
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby elaw » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:46 pm

3WE wrote:We also like disco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFbn8EbB4k

Mmm... not bad for a disco tune. But musically and videographically, I'll take this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhUAWRYcRc
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

User avatar
Not_Karl
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:43 pm

elaw wrote:
3WE wrote:We also like disco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFbn8EbB4k

Mmm... not bad for a disco tune. But musically and videographically, I'll take this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhUAWRYcRc

Meh... Not enough toilet paper.
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

User avatar
3WE
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Flyover, America

Re: F.A.O.: Flyboy

Postby 3WE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:04 am

Not_Karl wrote:
elaw wrote:Mmm... not bad for a disco tune. But musically and videographically, I'll take this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhUAWRYcRc

Meh... Not enough toilet paper.


Many thoughts:

-Indeed, more TP would be an improvement.

-I don't like the music nor the liveries (are you BlueBlack?)

-I'm thinking there is much cowboy improvisation here.

-I'm also concerned that we are seeing actors and not pilotos del genio super?

-I find the photography and focus and lighting, albeit artistic, to not meet the current standards of 3BS (meaning it's doomed elsewhere).

-Nevertheless, it does involve aircraft, and that does make it good, by definition. (and I guess this is an aviation site, isn't it?)

-I am impressed that the video ends with photography of a weed...very agricultural and I'd like to kill it.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.


Return to “Off Topic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest