What's "wrong" with Left and Right runway designations...

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

What's "wrong" with Left and Right runway designations...

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:42 am

Mispost....would Monchavo delete this?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: What's "wrong" with Left and Right runway designations..

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:56 am

no
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

reubee

Postby reubee » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 am

Nothing wrong if you use L for the left one, and R for the right one :-)

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 pm

If ITS were here, he'd tell us it should be "port" and "starboard".
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Nothing like a mis-post to create the most popular thread on the forum...

I wanted to put there where Flyboy could OFICIALLY comment, and free from all of this other parlour talk; however, your interest seems high.

There's a small rinky dink regional airport in Northwest Arkansas (corporate home of Wal-Mart). They added a second parallel runway. Instead of calling it 16R-34L (and declaring the "old runway 16L-34R), they called the new runway 17-35.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1511/09274AD.PDF

You have to have a superior mind like Boeing Bobby or Flyboy or Dummy to remember which runway is which (or follow the magenta line). I would envision myself (in my best deep voice) saying, "Tower, Cessna 71H....ummm which one of these suckers do you want me to land on...the right one, or the left one, or can I just pick one (including the taxiway)? (I know, I should have briefed for all of that but I don't have an autopilot or first officer to take care of the flying while I study the diagram).

Even more crazy- in another 10 (100?) years when they add more runways on the East side of the airport to handle simultaneous approaches, who knows how they'll handle it. More magenta lines, or perhaps fully-automated, pilotless planes.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Well, it IS Arkansas...
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Well, it IS Arkansas...
KXNA is a big deal! Regional Jet flights to all the major hubs...might even get a real airliner in from time to time! And now it's a two-runway affair! (Just like KLIT) So takeoffs and landings can be concurrent, or they could even do semi-simultaneous stuff if the weather's good enough!

Quite the contrast from:

Welcome aboard Lone Star Airlines flight ????...Metro liner service from DFW to Harrison, Arkansas and Springfield, MO...your captain today is In The Shade...

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Well, it IS Arkansas...
KXNA is a big deal! Regional Jet flights to all the major hubs...might even get a real airliner in from time to time! And now it's a two-runway affair! (Just like KLIT) So takeoffs and landings can be concurrent, or they could even do semi-simultaneous stuff if the weather's good enough!
It actually is a pretty nice airport. We used to stay at the Staybridge over there, yummy breakfast...
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Well, it IS Arkansas...
It actually is a pretty nice airport. We used to stay at the Staybridge over there, yummy breakfast...
I've never actually been to XNA, but see from time to time between McAlister OK and Springfield MO.

I had a fun out-and-back-in-one-day from Drake in the olden days in a "NWA" Saab in a big winter rainstorm, with a touch of icing on the tail (in fact, it may have been the day that the Roselawn ATR fell out of the sky)...Drake is nicely nestled down between the hills, making the weather more interesting and the minimums higher. In fact, the flight I was supposed to be on to MEM could not get in, but there were plenty of seats on another flight that was delayed due to the ceilings and fog. Fortunately, on the way home, the ceilings were not super low (nor the icing rates overly high). Not sure about the pilots, but seat 9A broke out of the clouds over Razorback stadium.

It was at Chickendale (on another day) where I watched a charter dude cancel IFR while we were still in the clouds. :roll:

Arkansas is a great place to visit...not sure about living there...(along with Avion).

reubee

Postby reubee » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:09 am

Well theres a few more brain cells gone taken up with trivia that won't get asked during a Trivia Night ... http://www.airportimprovement.com/conte ... icle=00361
... apparently the newer of the two runways is temporary whilst the original runway is reconstructed.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”