Trip Reports - Round the World in 24 days

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

reubee

Trip Reports - Round the World in 24 days

Postby reubee » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:03 am

Just got back from the once in the childhood worldwide holiday with the kids. Objectives, a white christmas, visiting friends in Germany, revisiting old haunts in London, Disneyland, Eiffel Tower etc
Routing ... AKL-MEL-DXB-DUS-HEL-OUL-HEL-DUS; Train to Paris and London; LHR-LAX-SYD-AKL
46337km total
3xA380
1xB744
1xB773
1xB738
2xA319
2xE190
3xEK, 4xFI, 1xBA, 2xQF

First deicing experience
First sighting of A350
Landed in easterly direction at LAX
First E190 flights, new favourite aircraft for short-haul, 2x2 beats 3x3
Going from A380 back to 744, you notice the difference. I hate to say it but hopefully no more 744

No go arounds, no aborts, minimal use of seat belt sign.
Ms10 made use of sickness bags. Ms Reubee blames turbulence, I blame an overdose on the freebies in the lounge.

Climate: unusually warm in Europe. We had +1 in Rovianemi on the Arctic Circle on Xmas Day!!!. Wet and rainy in LAX. Warm in Dubai except in the shade, tip: when selecting a hotel, look to see what side of hotel pool is on, if pool in shade not good (except perhaps when really hot)

Politically: lots of firearms about. In France, it is disturbing to see soldiers waking "on patrol" through the crowds with their firearms covering each others back etc. In London on top of Buckingham Palace, a snipper/spotter. On the tube in London, witnessed an undercover cop having to break cover slightly to try and discreetly radio call for uniformed police to come and attend to someone who had collapsed. Didn't see as much in the USA.

Had NYE at Primrose Hill in London trying to watch the fireworks. Thought being in the crowd on the river for the fireworks would've been a terrorist target, as it was with the size of the crowd on the hill and thought this would make a better target.

In Germany my friends house has a new neighbour just down the road in the form of a refugee camp. The benefit for him is it leads to better internet on his street. Surreal moment for us was when walking to the tram to catch a flight, us affluent westerners pulling our wheelie bags passing some refugees walking back to the camp carrying their shopping in their plastic shopping bags. Would've made an interesting photo.

In France, all the illegal traders hanging around the tourist spot. Watching them walk way every-time a policeman came near reminded me of a nature documentary where the predator is spotted by the herd and they all scamper to a safe distance. I'd be quite happy never to visit Paris again.

Next summer, back to a tent on the beach.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Trip Reports - Round the World in 24 days

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Niiiiice!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

(You somehow forgot to tell us abput your visit to Skegness :? :?: )
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Trip Reports - Round the World in 24 days

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:45 pm

...Next summer, back to a tent on the beach...
No reflection on aviation, but, Indeed and Concur.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”