F.A.O.: Bradley

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

F.A.O.: Bradley

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:09 am

Congrats on the IFR rating.

Please remember to put the wheels down on your high performance 182.

I also recommend having a good autopilot as I have read (in obscure magazines) that it is a great CRM tool. If you are kind of busy, let it hold the heading and altitude while you watch what it's doing now and dig through your QRH's and approach plates. As you are aware, we think that airline pilots (as a pair) sometimes suffer from $20 disorientation words- so it can happen to you too.

As to your question of my light plane status, no, I just sit here and spew BS (with tiny shreds of humor) on aviation forums and think about the $120/hour rental fee + instructor + my cheapness + my life insurance carrier's opinion of cowboy aviation and use it as a lame excuse to not visit the local airport and do the second most fun thing in the world. I do still subscribe to an obscure aviation magazine and read it monthly about how Not_Karl's uncle flies charters, Sam Weigel impresses Flyboy, Un-named poor souls screw up and Lestashture blesses us with his God-like management of 777-something or others.

A couple years ago I rode with a friend PPL on a short 172 hop...he forgot to richen the mixture during his pre-landing checklist, but I pointed at it...He richened the mixture and proceeded to land slightly sideways (like a good airline pilot) and we didn't died. On the way back to base airport (a Towered place with a big long ILS-equipped runway for biz jets and a shorter one for light planes), A business jet checked in on the ILS. I knew we were in the area and tipped a wing up to see them zoom a few hundred feet overhead. They asked the tower if they were talking to us. We had not checked in, but the GSP showed us a full 7 miles out at 500 ft AGL.

Last summer, I also rode a helicopter- that was educational.

Of course the worst part is that my wife is very efficient at disconnecting my yoke and pedals from the good computer :evil: , so I don't eve get to go fake it in MD-80's and hope against hope to 1) be on the same plane with Dummy Pilot and 2) have him and his FO eat fish that will give him debilitating food poisoning. I'm thinking of getting a new computer and hooking it onto the flat screen in the living room...with the yoke and pedals :twisted:
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

PurduePilot

Re: F.A.O.: Bradley

Postby PurduePilot » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:54 pm

It is fun but for sure is a lot more expensive than #1. Otto in the clouds for single pilot ifr is definitely a good thing to have. I have a hard time seeing how people land an airplane with the wheels up...in my experience the thing won't go down if the wheels aren't down. But just in case, I do follow a good GUMPS routine. Hope you can find a way to get back into it.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Some pics from the last two weeks
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.84 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
4 sacks of meat on board, 75 gallons of fuel, and still hitting 1000 fpm at over 100 knots indicated.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.07 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Couldn't find any clouds on Saturday...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:26 pm

As they say on Facebook, "Like"

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:04 am

As they say on Facebook, "Like"
Concur.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:38 am

...4 sacks of meat on board, 75 gallons of fuel, and still hitting 1000 fpm at over 100 knots indicated...
Such power! Do you plan to attempt to four one oh it?

(I do concede that that is impressive. Two folks, full fuel and a cold day and you can easily make 800 fpm in a 160 horse, 172M and have seen the elusive 1000 fpm with two folks in a 172S Not to get overly type-specific with you))

PS, what is that mirror looking thing out on the wing, defense against fast-moving Cirrae?

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:44 am

PS, what is that mirror looking thing out on the wing, defense against fast-moving Cirrae?
I'm sure that it is for taking selfies :mrgreen: .
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 am

Well it's there for making sure the nose gear is down, but more importantly SELFIES!

Return to “Off Topic Forum”