What's it doing now?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

What's it doing now?

Postby 3WE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:30 pm

After several hundred successful stop light encounters, my situational awareness was off a bit this am...I watched a light change to yellow and decided I should proceed. But then I realized I was way too far away and the light went full red! Yikes, ABORT!

I knew that my Toyta had 'autobrakes' of sorts...when you make sudden, hard brake applications it senses the suddenness and significantly increases the braking... I even sensed brief activation of ABS.

So, here I am (without a braking performance monitoring system) seeing that things are good and that I will stop just fine (based on 46 years of braking for red lights)...

...so I let off the brake pressure just a bit, and suddenly the "brake boost" cuts off and goes to normal...Took me a second to analyze that unexpected reduction in braking and darned if I did wind up most of the way across the cross walk...

TOTAL DISASTER!!!!!! averted, but I did pass through a layer or two of Swiss cheese and it does feel weird when HAL gets between you and your inputs and supposedly trying to be helpful...ummm, what's it doing now?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: What's it doing now?

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:59 am

After several hundred successful stop light encounters, my situational awareness was off a bit this am...
(...)things are good and that I will stop just fine (based on 46 years of braking for red lights)...
(...)Took me a second to analyze that unexpected reduction in braking (...)
That's the reason why written procedures are so important and must be always followed, regardless of experience.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”