Nair: Oh the ironing!

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Nair: Oh the ironing!

Postby 3WE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:26 pm

The following is true:

I'm getting a little old...and hair grows out of my ears.

I've been trying Nair, and found it marginally effective (I'm needing 2 and 3 sequential applications of the stuff).

I've mostly been using the facial stuff- and am wondering if the other stuff might not be more 'industrial strength' and work better?

Anyway, if there is anyone on the forum, who has any advice for an old man trying to use Nair...you know..."up there", please let me know.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Nair: Oh the ironing!

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:36 pm

There are some electric, somewhat phallic looking devices made especially for the task. The most popular are/were the Panasonics, at least here (but the competition from cheap composite chinese crackerboxes has increased lately, and some of them have interchangeable... heads? cartridges? for trimming beard, hair, etc.).
If you are manly enough, you could try with hot wax :mrgreen: .
am wondering if the other stuff might not be more 'industrial strength' and work better?
Stop looking for excuses.
Anyway, if there is anyone on the forum, who has any advice for an old man trying to use Nair...you know..."up there", please let me know.
If you ever come to Good Airs, we could meet and interchange hair-removal experiences ;) . -El Sobrino No_Carlos.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Just adopt a hipster look and wear headphones all the time. 8-)

To increase your cred on the forums, this type is highly recommended:
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Just adopt a hipster look and wear headphones all the time. 8-)
But then he would not hear his family and other people... Excellent!!! :clap: :D

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 pm

...Stop looking for excuses...some electric, somewhat phallic looking devices made especially for the task...
Oh great...Parlour-talk-judgementalism-from-a-keyboard. While you sit there, TYPING about ear hair, I'm out there growing it and removing it! I have 56 years of experience growing hair, so dream on!

And, there you go again, always running to electronic automation to the exclusion of traditional hairmanship!

Please know that as the dePapilatory Facilitator (PF) I consulted the QRH and followed all procedures.

I applied the product and then stood there for five minutes, asking, "What's it doing now?"

This was a single-crew operation and when exercising good CRM and functioning as the dePapilatory Monitor (PM), I noted little response.

I referred to the memory checklist to repeat the procedure and then, thank goodness, things slowly began to lift away.

More recently, again found the response somewhat slow- and resulted to reckless Cowbowy improvisation and applied a third application in direct violation of the QRH. (Thus my question if Nair-236A is a weaker formulation than Nair-200). This resulted in my ears getting into the red AOA zone (amount of attack)...Evidence that using the hairremovalspeed indicator is not 100% accurate to prevent an inadvertent scald.

Nevertheless, I am also considering just getting some tweezers and pulling up relentlessly.

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Kidding aside, personally I would have some qualms about putting evil chemicals near/in my ear canal. The stuff is probably okay for skin, but has it ever been tested on an eardrum?

I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AVANTEK-Trimmer- ... ir+trimmer

It won't trim the hairs to 0.000" length but fairly close and is quick and easy to use. And it has an electric motor and at least one semiconductor device in it, so per Evan's criteria it's not outdated and unsafe.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 pm

...Kidding aside, personally I would have some qualms about putting evil chemicals near/in my ear canal. The stuff is probably okay for skin, but has it ever been tested on an eardrum?

I use something like this:...
Kidding somewhat aside, the evil chemical is Sodium Hydroxide as best as I can tell. And, Indeed, the QRH cautions about direct contact with the ear drum. While concentrated NaOH is kinda caustic, I was once reminded that the natural hydrochloric acid in your stomach- given enough time can burn a hole in a rug, so I do use genius hairmanship to keep the Nair-236A out of my ear canal, but also take some comfort in the human body's ability to deal with dilute acids and bases...and we can now cue up a discussion of the importance of pH in reproductive processes as this thread rapidly descends towards it's inspiration, there.

And, my great Nair experiment is the result of not really liking the item you linked too...despite it's design by scientific engineers, as someone who actually uses the thing, I find there's just some places it doesn't get to all that well. And after two tries with non-electric trim, I am fairly pleased, although the repeat-application/slow response stories I tell above do contain large amounts of truth.

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:38 pm

My father was (briefly in WW2) a Royal Marine, and he explained to the gullible young fellow that I once was, that the recommended technique for the removal of a Royal Marine's facial hair was not to shave it, but to...."beat the stubble in with a hammer, and then bite it off on the inside" :o
Unfortunately this method is not applicable to auricular pilosity.
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Cut them ears off, you have no use for them anyway. There's always lenses.
Per

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh great...Parlour-talk-judgementalism-from-a-keyboard. While you sit there, TYPING about ear hair, I'm out there growing it and removing it! I have 56 years of experience growing hair, so dream on!

And, there you go again, always running to electronic automation to the exclusion of traditional hairmanship!
Imagine the drama if the thing reverted to alternate or, God forbid, direct law during a delicate phase of the hair removal procedure... :o
(By the way, I don't know if it has a clear visual/audible trim change indication.)
Per
And then he can become a famous painter after his death! :clap:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Per
And then he can become a famous painter after he did died! :clap:
Fixed.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”