I.....am.......angry.

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Ancient Mariner

I.....am.......angry.

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am

Saturday, driving down town to pick up a copy of Car Magazine to kill time on the 10:00 o'clock ferry to Sweden, one needs to stock up on Akkevitt since the Yuletide will soon be upon us.
Wife driving for once, then big BANG shakes the car. Two minutes later, Low Tyre Pressure alarm.
Paid extra for spare wheel, but that's no wheel, that's a f***ing max 80 km/h emergency spare.
Snow forecasted for the weekend, not going to head for home and put on summer tyre.
Can't make ferry now, drop wife at home, order her to book new ferry departure.
Self head for nearest tyre repair shop, tyre has split sidewall, a no can fix, but they don't have Nokians in stock. No other shop open locally.
Head for Skoda dealer, wait outside until 10:30,
they have no tyre, but dealer call other tyre shop's owner at home. He says branch open 15 minutes away, but they don't stock that particular dimension (235/70-18) , but advices me to drive there. He will pick up correct tyre at main store and deliver.
Thirty minutes later all is well, but the tyre costs a f***ing NOK 3.081. :shock:
That's A lot of f***ing money for a tyre and that's the price of just the tyre, no extras.
Good service though on behalf of both dealers.
Stern email, with pictures and copy of receipt, send to local council. Also included my bank account number. They better pay.
Per

elaw

Re: I.....am.......angry.

Postby elaw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Ouch! If I did the conversion correctly that's about US$370... I've never paid more than about $150 for a tire.

You definitely did the right thing though... performance of that mini-spare in snow might have been worse than the summer tire.

It's also a little surprising/scary that the low-pressure warning didn't come on for 2 minutes even though pressure loss was probably almost instantaneous.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:03 pm

It's also a little surprising/scary that the low-pressure warning didn't come on for 2 minutes even though pressure loss was probably almost instantaneous.
My interpretation (might be wrong) is that the bang was a bump in the road that damaged the tyre, which finally burst two minutes later. And that's why he's asking the guv'ment for his money. But we should wait for the final report.

That was some costly magazine :(.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

elaw

Postby elaw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 pm

That's possible... I was thinking it might have had to do with how the tire-pressure warning system works.

Many such systems have a sensor in each wheel. But others, including many VAG products (VAG is Skoda's parent) use the ABS sensors to read the speed of each wheel. When a tire is underinflated, its effective rolling circumfrence is slightly less so it will turn faster than the other wheels. Those systems sense the wheel's higher speed and turn on the low air pressure warning.

But I suspect such systems use a lot of averaging to prevent false alarms so they would take some time to respond to a loss of pressure, even if the pressure is lost quickly.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm

My interpretation (might be wrong) is that the bang was a bump in the road that damaged the tyre, which finally burst two minutes later. And that's why he's asking the guv'ment for his money. But we should wait for the final report.

That was some costly magazine :(.
Indeed and indeed.
Per

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Ouch! If I did the conversion correctly that's about US$370... I've never paid more than about $150 for a tire.

You definitely did the right thing though... performance of that mini-spare in snow might have been worse than the summer tire.

Norway is an expensive country, Nokians are expensive tyres and that was a particular expensive, high end dealer.
It all adds up.
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Expletive-laden, ban worthy, personal attack flame directed to Per.

Over the last month, through normal wear and tear, Mrs. 3BS AND Mr. 3BS's cars BOTH needed tire replacement...

all 4 or them...2 times 4 = 8...can you say NEAR TOTAL BUDGET DISASTER!!!!!!

You had to buy a tire...booo expletive-hooo...I feel soooooo NOT sorry for you!!!

You are ANGRY????...tough doo doo....I am broke.

SO THERE!
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 am

Expletive-laden, ban worthy, personal attack flame directed to Per.

Over the last month, through normal wear and tear, Mrs. 3BS AND Mr. 3BS's cars BOTH needed tire replacement...

all 4 or them...2 times 4 = 8...can you say NEAR TOTAL BUDGET DISASTER!!!!!!

You had to buy a tire...booo expletive-hooo...I feel soooooo NOT sorry for you!!!

You are ANGRY????...tough doo doo....I am broke.

SO THERE!
"normal wear and tear" is, well, normal and to be expected, and you are for that responsible.
f***ing up a new, perfectly good tyre due to local councile negligence is something totally different and not to be expected.
Hence, I have reasons to be angry, you have not and you should plan your car maintenance better.
So there!
Per

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:44 am

f***ing up a new, perfectly good tyre due to local councile negligence is something totally different and not to be expected.
...in Norway. Here in "the greatest country in the world", it happens all the time. :(

Back when I used to live in the city, I would joke to friends that they should put up signs at the city limits warning about potholes... not because of vehicle damage, but because there might be homeless families living in them. :?

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm

...in Norway. Here in "the greatest country in the world", it happens all the time. :(

Back when I used to live in the city, I would joke to friends that they should put up signs at the city limits warning about potholes... not because of vehicle damage, but because there might be homeless families living in them. :?
We pay them shitloads of money in form of taxes, we expect better, I'm not going to give up easily.
They are in for the fury of the Ancient Mariner. :twisted:
Per

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 am

Per, good luck with your resolution.

monchavo bought four new tyres for his small Opel the other day, and they were £300 in total. That's irritating (but the back set dated from 2004 and had done 41000 miles, so I am NOT complaining).

Let's do good tyre stories:

- 1993 - ~55mph on a large bus of 60 seats, on the M4, going west out of London with a group of Polish tourists, monchavo was a tourguide (aged 20). Bus blew a back right EXPLOSIVELY at 55 and began to rock and shudder. Pulls over to hard shoulder, all tourists descend and wait (!) for driver and mate to change tyre in the hard shoulder (this is a monumentally stupid thing to do). Tyre changed, we continue on our way.
You will note that we drive on the left in the UK so the back right on the hard shoulder faces the traffic. .........

- 2012 - LINCOLN town car blows back left with car heavily laden with 240KG of monchavo cargo/luggage going to JFK on the beltway.
SERIOUSLY scary moment, dark night, irritated driver, hits a pothole at 60 and curses loudly. 20 seconds front left tyre pops and we shudder to a halt. Pulls over on the beltway, 2 miles from JFK. No hard shoulder. monchavo gets rechargeable surefire torch out of luggage and flags down / alerts passing cars. Not before long passing car smashes off the offside mirror whilst driver faffing about changing tyre for donut.
donut lasts less than 200 metres before crapping out and starting to burn up (!)
monchavo flags down passing nigerian fake taxi and climbs in with several boxes of luggage, and paying nigerian 20 USD for a 2 mile ride.

both scary.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm

All too often, I find a puncture to be unrepairable...(Not always, but...)
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Those bloody, f***ing retards at the local council refused to pay. Two local rags brought the story today. 8-)
They haven't heard the last of me. :twisted:
This be one of those imbeciles pointing at a road, "look no potholes". Well, wrong f***ing road, mate.
From the story.
peke.png
peke.png (274.1 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Per

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 am

Those bloody, f***ing retards at the local council refused to pay. Two local rags brought the story today. 8-)
They haven't heard the last of me. :twisted:
This be one of those imbeciles pointing at a road, "look no potholes". Well, wrong f***ing road, mate.
From the story.
peke.png
Per
"Archive photo", so it is "look, no potholes in this particular road, at the particular moment this roadphoto was taken" :mrgreen: . Fight them, Per! :evil: :twisted:
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”