How does one copy a CD...

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

How does one copy a CD...

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Seemed like it used to be simpler...and now it acts like it doesn't want to do it.

Just want a copy that lives in the car with to get dusty and scratched up....not trying to mass produce the dang thing.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

elaw

Re: How does one copy a CD...

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Can the unit in your car play MP3s (on a CD)?

If so I'd suggest ripping said CD to MP3 files, then do the same with a few of its friends, then burn the MP3s onto a data disc and use that in the car.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 am

Can the unit in your car play MP3s (on a CD)?

If so I'd suggest ripping said CD to MP3 files, then do the same with a few of its friends, then burn the MP3s onto a data disc and use that in the car.
MP3's...a technical loss in fidelity that the ear cannot hear...still, I feel cheated.

7? Years ago- pop a CD in and a big "you wanna copy it?" button would pop up (sort of).

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:33 am

What operating system are you using?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:34 pm

What operating system are you using?
I dunno exactly. Mrs. 3WE has the only computer with CD drives.

Windows media player would not let me 'drag in' tracks to burn.

It did rip tracks. AND the machines second drive does not work any more...Although I remember making copies with single drives.

Since none of our vast forum reports that there's new copy protection features, I will try some more hacking.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:29 am

...Windows media player...
So a version of Windows, I assume. I also assume that no specific burning software (like Nero) is installed.
I can recommend ImgBurn, a free software that works all the way from Windows 9x to 10. Choose the TechSpot, MajorGeeks or ImgBurn mirrors, as I don't trust the others (Digital Digest, for example, make you download an "ImgBurn Downloader"...).
Beware of the software that it tries to make you install. Even if my OS is in English, it detected my regional settings and the "offers" are in Spanish, but I hope they serve as an example:
Click the highlligted text and uncheck the checkboxes:
Put the CD you want to copy in the drive and click "Create image file from disc":
Choose where to save the image, read speed and tick "add to write queue when done" (that way the image is automatically selected when you go to burn). If there are multiple drives, choose the one with the CD you want to copy below "Source". Then click the large CD to image icon:
Creating the image. You can tick the "eject tray" option, so it would eject the CD when the copying is done:
When it finishes, go to Mode/Write:
Then you can choose the image path (should be automatically selected), destination drive, writing speed... (you can tick "verify", to check the finished disc for errors).
Writing. You can choose to eject the tray when done, automatically delete the image, etc:

I used an external image hosting because the images kept disappearing when I tried to attach them to the post.
Since none of our vast forum reports that there's new copy protection features, I will try some more hacking.
I believe (hope) that copy protection was discarded after the huge backlash caused by readability problems in some CD players and the Sony rootkit scandal. I remember buying a pretty expensive CD back in the day (A Night at the Opera 30th Anniversary, I think) only to have it play crappily in my players (it had a warning telling that it may not work in car stereos and some home CD players), trying to make a copy of it so I could play it in any player without difficulties and discovering that in my PC i could only access some crappy compressed versions of the songs. Not_Karl was extremely Not_happy and bowed to Not_buy a copy protected CD never again.
Of course, if the CD you are trying to copy is from that era, there may or may Not_be some problems. Make sure that it is recognised as an audio CD and Not_a data CD-ROM.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 pm

...Windows media player...
So a version of Windows...Nero...TechSpot...MajorGeeks...ImgBurn...mirrors...I don't trust... (Digital Digest, for example, make you download an "ImgBurn Downloader"...)....Beware...tries to make you...settings.....blah blah blah blah blah... Click...uncheck...checkboxes... click...Choose...save...read...add to write queue... choose...click the large CD to image icon...tick...eject tray" option...,go to Mode/Write...choose...image path, destination drive, writing speed...tick "verify"...check choose...

I believe (hope) that copy protection was discarded after the huge backlash caused by readability problems in some CD players and the Sony rootkit scandal...[story]...

[additional advice]
1. Are you Evan, or a modern FMS cockpit CRM engineer?

2. Damn...oh for the good ole days when your computer CAME with a basic fundamental CD copier...From D to E- or if you phugging understood it...buffer to hard disk and burn back.

3. Back to Media player- I was able to Rip to Library- THEN add the files to the burn list...

...Yeah, I think I MP3'd them in the process (or effectively degraded them to MP3-levels)... :(

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 pm

1. Are you Evan, or a modern FMS cockpit CRM engineer?
No. I didn't died give you a lecture on CDDA or Red Book rules and procedures, only the basic cowboy disc and CD-RW drive audio CD burning fundamentals.
2. Damn...oh for the good ole days when your computer CAME with a basic fundamental CD copier...From D to E- or if you phugging understood it...buffer to hard disk and burn back.
Many moons ago, there was a free, basic Nero Burning Rom version -generally bundled with CD-RW and DVD-RW drives and store-bought PCs- which allowed to do that. But the last version of Nero I used was 8 some 10 years ago, before opting for freeware: ImgBurn in Windows and the very nice, very Nero-like K3b -not to be confused with 3WE- in Kubuntu Linux. No, I'm Not_a Linux hippy, I don't have a beard an have to run to them interwebz for help when my Kubuntu total-computer-disasters itself.
3. Back to Media player- I was able to Rip to Library- THEN add the files to the burn list...

...Yeah, I think I MP3'd them in the process (or effectively degraded them to MP3-levels)... :(
Probably WMA'd them. Pray Airbus you didn't also add DRM... :o :shock:
I would recommend foobar2000 and its free encoder pack for such task.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Props to Not_Karl for a very kind explanation.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:43 am

have you tried Fortran?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Return to “Off Topic Forum”