FAO Per: The sinking of the SS Faro

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

monchavo
Site Admin

FAO Per: The sinking of the SS Faro

Postby monchavo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:08 am

All,
seriously interesting summary of this event from 2016

https://imgur.com/gallery/qMJUlWX
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

AnMariner

Re: FAO Per: The sinking of the SS Faro

Postby AnMariner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:14 am

I've already read the report.
A Swiss Cheese where the holes were drilled by poor ship design, poor seamanship, poor decision-making, total amateurs the whole bunch.

Surprised that no-one has picked up on the frigate that presently hughs the cliffs on the west coast of Norway.
Google KNM Helge Ingstad. A 400.00.000 GBP war machine sunk due deep and profound incompetence on so many levels that it's hard to believe. I've been laughing for days. At least they all survived, physically.
Per

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 pm

A Swiss Cheese where the holes were drilled by poor ship design, poor seamanship, poor decision-making, total amateurs the whole bunch.

Surprised that no-one has picked up on the frigate that presently hughs the cliffs on the west coast of Norway.
Google KNM Helge Ingstad. A 400.00.000 GBP war machine sunk due deep and profound incompetence on so many levels that it's hard to believe. I've been laughing for days. At least they all survived, physically.
Per
This is both hilarious and quite baffling and troubling. I mean. What? It sounds silly but these ships move relatively slowly, there's plenty of time to relax. They're loaded with excellent quality observational equipment and they had a warning. Several warnings. I note on the translation the navy guy says "I have myself coming in a few degrees off" or some such - does this indicate he was overly reliant on a machine reading and not using common sense ....
____

AnMariner

Postby AnMariner » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:35 am

Per
This is both hilarious and quite baffling and troubling. I mean. What? It sounds silly but these ships move relatively slowly, there's plenty of time to relax. They're loaded with excellent quality observational equipment and they had a warning. Several warnings. I note on the translation the navy guy says "I have myself coming in a few degrees off" or some such - does this indicate he was overly reliant on a machine reading and not using common sense ....
They, the frigate, were warned several times. By both the tanker that rammed them and Traffic Control. The deck monkey sounded confused and bewildered, SNAFU for the navy and bridge personnel. No surprises there.
I refer you to two of similar USN vessels which collided with merchant ships in quick succession.
All the electronic gizmos are aids, decisions has to be taken by humans, which deck monkeys are not. QED.
Per

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Per
They, the frigate, were warned several times. By both the tanker that rammed them and Traffic Control. The deck monkey sounded confused and bewildered, SNAFU for the navy and bridge personnel. No surprises there.
I refer you to two of similar USN vessels which collided with merchant ships in quick succession.
All the electronic gizmos are aids, decisions has to be taken by humans, which deck monkeys are not. QED.
Per
So, if I interpret what you're saying correctly -the vessel was under the command of someone who was simply incompetent - and who didn't escalate to a higher authority when he realised he was out of his depth, or worse - actively ignored what he was being told, through some sort of arrogance(?). I am just not sure I see how the event could happen other than through over-reliance on automation and not using ALL the available tools.

What an outcome though - jesus that's going to be an expensive repair job........
____

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Per
The plot thickens: https://wtkr.com/2018/11/18/us-navy-sai ... collision/
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

AnMariner

Postby AnMariner » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 am

I don't think this was a case of over-reliance on automation, but a case of lack of decision making. He was told what to do, he clearly knew what to do, but he froze.
Been there, had it done to me. Many moons ago, one chapter in "Ancient Mariner's Maritime Mishaps.".
Per

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

Per
The plot thickens: https://wtkr.com/2018/11/18/us-navy-sai ... collision/
"That content not available in your region". Can you stick it on pastebin or screenshot it and whack it on IMGUR for us?
____

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 am

HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks, yes that link is available internationally.
It will be miltdly interesting to establish if the exchange -programme officer's actions had any bearing in the outcome - however, ultimately, it's of peripheral interest. A complete and utter breakdown of the command and communication structure has occurred here.
____

AnMariner

Postby AnMariner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:45 am

I knew I could blame the Americans. 😁
Per

Return to “Off Topic Forum”