The Massacre Continues

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

Sickbag

Re: The Massacre Continues

Postby Sickbag » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:44 am

The just thing: as the great majority voted for them, the population can be blamed for it, and hence bomb victims can experience directly their voting results.
At least some feeling of direct democracy.
Some people might not like Merkel's fiscal policies, maybe they'll seek you out and murder your family.
That would be alright then, wouldn't it?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:41 pm

The just thing: as the great majority voted for them, the population can be blamed for it, and hence bomb victims can experience directly their voting results.
At least some feeling of direct democracy.
Some people might not like Merkel's fiscal policies, maybe they'll seek you out and murder your family.
That would be alright then, wouldn't it?
I must say for representing the morally untouchable defender of the women and children you easily fall back to insult.
You seem to consider your own arguments and way of arguing so poor that you cannot help to go without insult.
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:25 pm

I must say for representing the morally untouchable defender of the women and children you easily fall back to insult.
You seem to consider your own arguments and way of arguing so poor that you cannot help to go without insult.
So you think the reflection of your own views is an insult when applied to you?
You, sir, are a moral hypocrite.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Guys, you left me with no choice.
ice_lollies_of_peace.jpg
ice_lollies_of_peace.jpg (19.11 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 pm

I think you are being some what disingenuous so say the least. As was previously discussed in this thread,the Gaza strip is the most populated place in the world, not only that it has been under a state of constant siege for years, with the Israelis deliberately degrading the civilian infrastructure during this time. The population currently is forbidden to flee its confining walls by either Israel or Egypt. The 'gangsters' of Hamas ' as you put it, where elected with a large majority in the Gaza strip under impeccably held elections, one of their chief attractions being their lack of corruption and honesty when compared to Fatah. I would suggest to you that the gangsters are those in the Israeli government, the Prime minister of which ,has announced his resignation and is expected to face charges for corruption after the coming elections . The 'threat' that Israel is now using as an excuse for this attack the population of Gaza has killed eight people in the last five years.The Israelis were the ones to break the six month ceasefire in order to implement this attack, an attack,by the way that they were planning and training for for months, for political reasons to try and ex-purge the defeat they suffered in 2006.
I think maybe you've been exposed to US media for too long.
Well, there are few issues in world affairs which are more polarized, which is why perhaps the Economist this week calls it the new Hundred Years War (and that's 100 years and counting). I'm not giving Israel a free pass - I mentioned the use of phosphorus ordnance yesterday, I dislike the settlements policy, and they are certainly always very heavy-handed. The bias in favor of the Palestinians in Europe, though, seems every bit as heavy and blind as the bias in favor of Israel in the US. I accept you have a point about proportionality of response, but I still maintain that Hamas instigated this conflict in a rather cynical way, given that they knew civilians were in the front line. I don't think the moral values of the two sides are the same.

We can have a discussion about who are the bigger gangsters. I am sure the current conflict has to be seen in the light of the coming Israeli election, while Olmert is certainly crooked. But, you know, Israelis don't throw their political opponents off the top of tall buildings. Is that lack of corruption ? Hamas did also bludgeon their way into overall power in 2007 by effectively carrying out a coup against the PNA (which is why I said "more or less" in reference to the election above).

I think one interesting aspect of all this going forward will be the relationship between Israel and Fatah. Will the latter want to side with Israel or with Hamas ? Israel could influence this in their favor if they were to dial back on their crazy settlements policy.

As for media, well, all I will say is that the mainstream US media form only a small component of my reading.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm

But, you know, Israelis don't throw their political opponents off the top of tall buildings. Is that lack of corruption ? Hamas did also bludgeon their way into overall power in 2007 by effectively carrying out a coup against the PNA (which is why I
i seem to remember that Israeli terrorist killied lots of British troops, including hanging two NCO's with wire nooses in cold blood. I remember Israeli terrorists planted bombs in hotels, I recall Israeli terrorists murdering the UN representative Folke Bernadotte.

Guess what? those terrorists became the Israeli government. The murderer of Bernadotte the future Prime Minister of Israel Yitzhak Shamir

I think you know very well that Israeli government throws it opponents off tall buildings as welll, both figuratively and literally.

The Israeli government's policy , no matter which party is in power, is NEVER to create a relationship with any Palestinian politcal organisation that will create the reality of a Palistinian state, if the IDF were to wipe out every single member of the Hamas party (A party that recieved Israeli funding, by the way to counter Fatah and the PLO , back in the day )do you honestly believe they would sit down and negotiate with Fatah? History tells us the answer.

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:49 am

i seem to remember that Israeli terrorist killied lots of British troops, including hanging two NCO's with wire nooses in cold blood. I remember Israeli terrorists planted bombs in hotels, I recall Israeli terrorists murdering the UN representative Folke Bernadotte.

Guess what? those terrorists became the Israeli government. The murderer of Bernadotte the future Prime Minister of Israel Yitzhak Shamir

I think you know very well that Israeli government throws it opponents off tall buildings as welll, both figuratively and literally.

The Israeli government's policy , no matter which party is in power, is NEVER to create a relationship with any Palestinian politcal organisation that will create the reality of a Palistinian state, if the IDF were to wipe out every single member of the Hamas party (A party that recieved Israeli funding, by the way to counter Fatah and the PLO , back in the day )do you honestly believe they would sit down and negotiate with Fatah? History tells us the answer.
Well, as you know from closer to home, we always end up negotiating with our terrorist opponents, so yes I know how Begin became a statesman after his Irgun years. You probably know as well that Arabs/Palestinians also attacked and killed British troops in the 1930s and 1940s as well as the Zionists. Arabs and Jews also attacked each other. The British had a mandate to keep the peace, ha ha, but just gave up the ghost after WW2. It's a mess, yes, ergo the Hundred Years War. But we're not in the 1940s now.

I don't know, but right now, yes, I doubt Israel would negotiate immediately with Fatah in the event they conquered Hamas. They might in time, but they'd have to give ground on the settlements. I admit, that's less likely given the likely political outcome from next month's election. Giving ground on the settlements is, I think, the only way the two-state solution will survive, and Obama, for one, needs to try to get involved in such a process. Do we still believe in the two-state solution ? Problem, I guess, is Hamas don't, and Hamas, while taking a beating, will probably survive in some form.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Do we still believe in the two-state solution ?
Did "we" ever?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

rattler

Postby rattler » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:05 pm

I know you just hit on the same themes as well, but allow me to copy you into a discussion from another forum and my reply, take what you need for this one here:
-snip-

Over the top retaliation would be carpet bombing Gaza City or tactical nukes to root out Hamas, just for example. I think they are being as judicious as they can be. They know how this plays around the world.

How should Isreal respond to rocket attacks from a neighboring territory? What would be a proportionate response?
Simple, just some of a wide spectrum of options to be applied single or joint (not even have tried one of those fuels my suspicion of plain cynism on their - and the others, with different reasons - side):

- get international backup and an SC consensus to agree on acting on HAMAS
- turn off the money to HAMAS
- turn off Egypitan/Syrian/Iranian support via international consensus AND/OR selective elimination (dont tell me Mossad has no clue who is feeding Hamas?)
- get EU/US/UN troops to secure the areas rockets get fired from, also the tunnels
- get your SpecOps going and anihilate leaders and actors with their hand in the mass
- 24/7 TUAV/JLENS etc. (which I suppose they have up anyway), strike on the guys when they´re about to fire
- Negotiate other cease fire
- Separate the civilian pop from their leaders by offerenig alternatives (youth in gaza have ablolutely *no* perspective because of the enforced blockade)
- More creative stuff: Offer $ 500.000/5.000.000 and asylum incl. family in the EU to each Hamas fighter/leader resigning

etc. etc.
Why is it so easily forgotten that... -snip-
... Israel (its later political leaders respectively) came 2k years later than the palestinians to the same area and *started* the whole story by getting their state through sheer terrorism (Irgun - = Etzel - vs. King David Hotel, Massacre of Deir Yassin, Haganah, Balfour Declaration, Ben Gurion, Ze'ev Jabotinsky, etc, google for youself and you get an idea of the amount of brainwash we have been going through the last 50 yrs, history is always the history of the winners...).

Interstingly they called all those terrorist acts with more than 1k death toll "defense"... :-) Sounds familiar?

Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:19 pm

You probably know as well that Arabs/Palestinians also attacked and killed British troops in the 1930s and 1940s as well as the Zionists. Arabs and Jews also attacked each other. .
With the important diffrence, I hope you will allow, that the Palestinians were doing so from a perspective of defending their country, whilist the Zionists were perpetrating their violence, much like the British, as Colonial settlers.We are certainly not in the 40's but Israel still uses violence and murder against its political opponents.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Why is it so easily forgotten that... -snip-

... Israel (its later political leaders respectively) came 2k years later than the palestinians to the same area and *started* the whole story by getting their state through sheer terrorism (Irgun - = Etzel - vs. King David Hotel, Massacre of Deir Yassin, Haganah, Balfour Declaration, Ben Gurion, Ze'ev Jabotinsky, etc, google for youself and you get an idea of the amount of brainwash we have been going through the last 50 yrs, history is always the history of the winners...).

Rattler
That´s what cannot be discussed in PC World and yet is the Mother of all points: Israel´s right of existence. Where´s JJ when you need him?

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm

That´s what cannot be discussed in PC World and yet is the Mother of all points: Israel´s right of existence.
Israel (or any other nation) has exactly as much right to exist as it has the ability to defend its existence.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 pm

That´s what cannot be discussed in PC World and yet is the Mother of all points: Israel´s right of existence.
Israel (or any other nation) has exactly as much right to exist as it has the ability to defend its existence.
OK, that´s one POV. Is this valid for Palestine as well?

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 pm

The old "survival of the fittest"?
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm

OK, that´s one POV. Is this valid for Palestine as well?
It absolutely is, which is why any kind of a "two-state solution" is hogwash. You can't have a "two-state" solution when the only thing either one of those states is interested in is complete annihilation of the other. The only difference is that one of them actually admits it.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 pm

The old "survival of the fittest"?
Of course. There is truly nothing new under the Sun.

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:00 pm

With the important diffrence, I hope you will allow, that the Palestinians were doing so from a perspective of defending their country, whilist the Zionists were perpetrating their violence, much like the British, as Colonial settlers.
I would tend to agree with this statement, for sure. Pre-Zionist Zionism (ie. promotion of Jewish emigration before Zionism really got going) was very much part of British imperial strategy as far back as the first half of the 19th century. Still, much later on, much Jewish emigration (mandate or no mandate) resulted from the effects of various European policies (ie. pogroms, antisemitism, ghettos, gas chambers.........).

rattler

Postby rattler » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:02 am

Interesting take from another forum:
(Author: von Staudt, http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/index. ... 27#msg1527)

Here is a little "mind experiment" for ya'll: ???

Scenario #1: Suddenly the Palastinians throw their arms into the sea, and declare a unilateral end to the fighting, and agree to recognize Israel's right to exist. What happens next?

Scenaio #2: Suddenly the Israelis throw their arms into the sea, open the borders, declare a unilateral end to the fighting and agree to give the Palastinians Gaza and the West Bank for their own state. What happens next?

Post what you think will happen in each case.
My take:

Based on my firm belief that this is all about the money, (we are talking the serious stuff here: Hundreds of millions Euros/$ and related commisions), I would guess something like the following to happen:

Re Sc1: The Palestinian Leader deciding that will get killed. A big terrorist actioin that kills a few hundred Israelis will take place on Israeli soil and will be auto-attributed by a formerly unknown fighter formation (of cause, this would have been staged by Iran, Syria and Israel services together). Israel will be pressed by its citizens to retaliate in force, and the thingy goes on.

Re SC2: The Isarel Leader deciding that will get killed. A series of terrorist actions that kill a few hundred Palestinians will take place and will be traced back to some radical settler group formerly unknown (of cause, this would have been staged by Iran, Syria and Israel services together). Some Palestinians will retaliate in force, and the thingy goes on.

Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Sickbag

Tell us something we didn't know

Postby Sickbag » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Israel's military was rocked on Thursday by Gaza war veterans' accounts of soldiers' killings of civilians and allegations that deep contempt for Palestinians pervaded its ranks.

The soldiers, alumni of a military academy, gathered last month to discuss their experiences in the 22-day Israeli offensive that ended in January, a campaign that Palestinians and human rights groups have said warranted war crimes probes.

Disclosing details of the session, the institution's director said the soldiers pointed to an atmosphere within the military of "unbridled contempt for, and forcefulness against, the Palestinians"....

The squad leader said most of the men under his command felt "the lives of Palestinians ... is something very, very less important than the lives of our soldiers, so as far as they are concerned, they can justify it that way".

Zamir said he conveyed the veterans' accounts to the Israeli military. Israeli leaders have said Hamas bears ultimate responsibility for civilian deaths because its fighters operated in crowded Palestinian areas.

Another squad leader who attended the academy said at the gathering that a company commander had ordered an elderly Palestinian woman shot as she walked on a road about 100 metres (yards) from a house that troops had taken over.

Describing vandalism carried out by soldiers, the squad leader said: "To write 'death to the Arabs' on the walls, to take family pictures and spit on them, just because you can -- I think this is the main thing, to understand how much the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) has fallen in the realm of ethics."
http://www.reuters.com/article/middleea ... USLJ974036

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:17 pm

nice.

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”