Split California into four new states ?

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

David Hilditch

Split California into four new states ?

Postby David Hilditch » Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Many members may be aware of California's recent economic troubles, which have added to the state's already existing ungovernability. Issues include gerrymandered local boundaries and too many special interest groups, a preference for too much government/state spending and an unwillingness on the part of citizens to pay the bills.

Here is an article which proposes a radical solution, ie. to split the state into four new states. This may be interesting to some members....

Here is the nub : 1) San Diego, Orange County, Inland empire, 2) Greater Los Angeles, 3) Sacramento, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, 4) North and Central Valley. The political, ethnic and economic substance underlying each of these proposed new zones is very different and compelling.

http://www.breakingviews.com/2009/05/21 ... sg=nytimes

Sickbag

Re: Split California into four new states ?

Postby Sickbag » Sun May 24, 2009 10:25 am

Balkanisation has a poor track record.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Peminu

Postby Peminu » Mon May 25, 2009 10:57 pm

So, you are disappearing 2 of the 3 existing states?

What about Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur?

They will split with the other block when the Saint Andrew's fall make the move. :roll:
Just another cast away from AD.com that reached AD.info island.

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:59 pm

Many members may be aware of California's recent economic troubles, which have added to the state's already existing ungovernability. Issues include gerrymandered local boundaries and too many special interest groups, a preference for too much government/state spending and an unwillingness on the part of citizens to pay the bills.
You know what bothers me the most about our government, especially Arnold in CA? The fact that when faced with budget problems the first thing they want to cut is education, health care, and police. They do that in order to pressure people to pay more taxes and pass their ridiculous bills. There are so many programs that California could cut but all those liberal interest groups won't allow that to happen. One thing they could do would be to repatriate all those illegal immigrants that cost the state $13 billion a year in EXTRA expense.

It is interesting to note that the states that are doing well, like Texas, are the less taxed. And the ones that are doing really bad have the highest taxes (NY, NH, CA).

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:16 pm

The fact that when faced with budget problems the first thing they want to cut is education, health care, and police. They do that in order to pressure people to pay more taxes and pass their ridiculous bills. There are so many programs that California could cut but all those liberal interest groups won't allow that to happen.
That's pretty funny. So there aren't any powerful liberal interst groups that support education and government-sponsored health care expenditures? Hahahahahaha.
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:55 pm

They will split with the other block when the Saint Andrew's fall make the move. :roll:
That would be the San Andreas Fault, but thank you for playing.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Peminu

Postby Peminu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 pm

That's a nice "governator's" point of view, my friend.

The correct name is "Falla de San Andrés".

Like most names in California, this one is of Spanish origin. So, leave it in Spanish, like "Los Angeles", "San Francisco", "San Bernardino", etc., etc.

Andrea is a female name in Spanish.

But I thank you for correcting me, anyway, and encouraging my participation!
Just another cast away from AD.com that reached AD.info island.

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:48 am

The fact that when faced with budget problems the first thing they want to cut is education, health care, and police. They do that in order to pressure people to pay more taxes and pass their ridiculous bills. There are so many programs that California could cut but all those liberal interest groups won't allow that to happen.
That's pretty funny. So there aren't any powerful liberal interst groups that support education and government-sponsored health care expenditures? Hahahahahaha.
I am sure there are, but even conservatives tend to support education for their kids and affordable health care. The programs I am talking about involve a myriad of "green" programs, benefits for illegal immigrants (some of which fall under education, just not education of american kids), huge amounts of money spent on social programs that don't work, etc... I lived in California for many years and a lot of money is wasted, believe me. You don't run a 24 billion deficit just because. And the money is not going to hospitas (ER average wait time is 7 hours in SoCal) or schools...they rank pretty low in education compared to other states, not to mention other countries. And I'm sure you are pi$$ed gay marriage is not allowed there anymore. That means you and your bit-ch won't be able to marry and have couple benefits there.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:52 am

That's a nice "governator's" point of view, my friend.

The correct name is "Falla de San Andrés".

Like most names in California, this one is of Spanish origin. So, leave it in Spanish, like "Los Angeles", "San Francisco", "San Bernardino", etc., etc.

Andrea is a female name in Spanish.

But I thank you for correcting me, anyway, and encouraging my participation!
If you want to leave it in spanish then call it San Andreas not Saint Andrews. Otherwise with your logic we would call it, "The Angels", "Saint Francis", "Saint Bernard" etc., etc.

As far as splitting our state...only Texas has the legal right to divide itself (look it up).
La Vida Es Un Carnival- Celia Cruz

Procede

Postby Procede » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:35 pm

So, which part gets stuck with the debt and sold to investors using credit default swaps?

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:27 am

So, which part gets stuck with the debt and sold to investors using credit default swaps?
No need to worry about such trivial matters, she's got it all figured out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxe_kwc8klw

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”