Quitter

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

Half Bottle

Quitter

Postby Half Bottle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:12 pm

It's getting to the point that if you want to know what Sarah Palin is going to do, just imagine the choice that demonstrates the worst possible judgment and go with that.
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

Sweetheart

Re: Quitter

Postby Sweetheart » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:11 am

Spenard Builder's Supply.....remember this....

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:30 am

It doesn't seem to smell right, does it ? If she wanted higher office, she would/should have finished her term in 2010, which would still allow time for a campaign run in 2012. If she complains she doesn't have time to travel the country, that doesn't sound right, as it seems she's in the lower 48 every other week. And why announce it at the start of the holiday weekend, and leave the job so promptly as well ?

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:01 am

Nah, she is afraid that it is going to be discovered that she is having an affair with the father of her daughter's child and she doesn't want that to leak while she is in office....
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Digger

Postby Digger » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Scary to think that she was actually in the running to be the proverbial "one heartbeat away from the Presidency". I don't know whether it's just as scary, or even scarier, that the guy that chose her for that role would've been the President.

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:17 pm

You know it's funny...from a neighboring state I got to watch Mitt Romney ramp up his Presidential Campaign while he was still Governor of Massachusetts. He spent a lot of time out of the state visiting foreign countries and attending economic summits in an attempt to build up his credentials. The Press was all over him saying that he was doing a great disservice to his constituents and that if he couldn't give his full attention to his Governor's duties, he should resign and allow someone who can devote their full time run the State. Now you've got Palin who clearly has her eyes on a bigger prize and when she resigns the Press says she is 'quitting' on her constituents.....really, a politician can't win in this case.

My guess is that she has decided (or has been advised) that simply being governor of Alaska is not going to give her the gravitas required for a serious run at the oval office and she has wants to venture out into the world to go fill out her resume...with what I have no idea. I also think she is being financially bankrupted defending herself in these never ending probes. And while there may clearly be some smoke, nobody has yet found any fire. She may simply be moving on to a position with far greater financial compensation. I can imagine a whole lot of high paying figure head jobs that she might pursue.

In my personal opinion her star power in the post election timeframe has been greatly diminished and she should probably just remain a big fish in a small pond (i.e. Governor of Alaska). However, 3 years (or 7 years) is a long time in the political world and anything can happen, though lets be honest, she probably wants to get this done before grey hairs, wrinkles, and sagging boobs arrive.

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:37 pm

Since she is despised by the media, I'm all for her, whatever she does.

BTW - our Community Agitater sure had a lot of experience before being elected to the highest office in the land.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Please enjoy reading reading the transcript of her resignation announcement. It seems clear she wrote it herself as no speechwriter would have used so many capital letters for Important Things or put quotes around "points of emphasis" or used the amazing construction of the final sentence....
In the words of General McArthur said..."

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/exec-column.php

*InsertNameHere*

Postby *InsertNameHere* » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Please enjoy reading reading the transcript of her resignation announcement. It seems clear she wrote it herself as no speechwriter would have used so many capital letters for Important Things or put quotes around "points of emphasis" or used the amazing construction of the final sentence....

words fail me :shock:

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:18 am

Who´s turning in his grave: Douglas McArthur or Oliver P. Smith?

Doesn´t matter: After eight years Dubya, nothing would shock me anymore.
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:09 am

I like this line
We took government out of the dairy business and put it back into private-sector hands – where it should be.
At last a politician who openly acknowledges that her government is up for sale! :D

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:37 pm

The Alaska government was in the dairy business??

If so - remember: The milkman always rings twice!
space intentionally left blank

Digger

Postby Digger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Stolen from elsewhere on http://www.internet.com:
What is the difference between Sarah Palin and a hockey mom?

A hockey mom doesn't get up and leave in the middle of the game.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Stolen from elsewhere on http://www.internet.com:
What is the difference between Sarah Palin and a hockey mom?

A hockey mom doesn't get up and leave in the middle of the game.
Wink, wink. She was just "passing the puck" in order to give others the Chance to Score. So sayeth the metaphor maven.

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:53 am

Wink, wink. She was just "passing the puck" in order to give others the Chance to Score. So sayeth the metaphor maven.
No doubt, Halfie. From my rink-side seat, this is one slap-shot for a woman, one hat trick for the GOP. It's time to put the left in the penalty box for their high-sticking attacks on Sarah and her family. I, for one, am ready for the power play, so lets suit-up for the face-off and drop that puck. And watch out for the right winger.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 pm

There's very little doubt in my mind that Palin's family was on the receiving end of more bad press / bad humor than they deserved.

But her political career has to be over after this, doesn't it? If she can't handle the slings and arrows now, would anyone think that the White House (should that be her goal) would be anything but a hundred times harder on her? Or if she were elected to a second term, would she just immediately resign to avoid lame duck status?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 pm

The fact that Palin is even discussed as a potential candidate in 2012 is a grim commentary on the state of the Republican Party today. Their incompetence and ideological bankruptcy are mitigated only by the fact that the Democratic Party will surely take its mandate (presidency and both Houses) and f*** up.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm

. And why announce it at the start of the holiday weekend, and leave the job so promptly as well ?
To coincide with Mark Sanford's hiking trip to Alaska this past weekend :shock:

On a serious note: who has lied to her into believing that she has a shot at the 2012 presidency? Does she really think that her cute personality can override her total lack of experience and basic knowledge of what it entails to run this country? Is she going to take a three-year crash course on Presidency I and Presidency II? Even some Republicans had an issue with her being the VP candidate.

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm

There's very little doubt in my mind that Palin's family was on the receiving end of more bad press / bad humor than they deserved.

But her political career has to be over after this, doesn't it? If she can't handle the slings and arrows now, would anyone think that the White House (should that be her goal) would be anything but a hundred times harder on her? Or if she were elected to a second term, would she just immediately resign to avoid lame duck status?
Honestly, I can see no logic in the resignation. Although, I saw an opinion on Drudge that likened her resignation to Nixon leaving politics in 1962. But I'm not buying it; she's no Dick Nixon.

I don't see her as a viable candidate in 2012, but didn't before she decided to bolt, so no change there.The only thing that remotely makes sense is that she feels she can do more outside of elected office (and earn more too).

Funny thing, I think she could have been the ideal VP candidate in 2008. Had she been vetted and prepped 6 months earlier, I think she may have been able to hold her ground. She was a kick in the pants for shoring up the base, if only she didn't scare the bejesus out of the middle. Would I have wanted her as el presidente, well, no, not really. But still, I'd take her over what we have now.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:32 am

Does she really think that her cute personality can override her total lack of experience and basic knowledge of what it entails to run this country?
Worked for Barack Hussein, didn't it?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Does she really think that her cute personality can override her total lack of experience and basic knowledge of what it entails to run this country?
Worked for Barack Hussein, didn't it?
Yes, it did! :lol:

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:03 pm

No doubt Obama was quite inexperienced upon being elected president. Almost certainly the least experienced politician to be president in modern times (depending on how you evlauate Eisenhower's miltary service). He did, though, have the advantage of at least being familiar with the Constitution and seemed to grasp the concepts therein (he was a constitutional lawyer). I think (but cannot prove) that he also had a passing familiarity with the non-constitutional governmental agencies. These are both things that Palin spectacularly lacks.

Then there is the matter of having a temperament suited to the office.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:37 pm

No doubt Obama was quite inexperienced upon being elected president. Almost certainly the least experienced politician to be president in modern times (depending on how you evlauate Eisenhower's miltary service). He did, though, have the advantage of at least being familiar with the Constitution and seemed to grasp the concepts therein (he was a constitutional lawyer). I think (but cannot prove) that he also had a passing familiarity with the non-constitutional governmental agencies.
Halfie,

Are you suggesting it was his outstanding familiarity with the Constitution as well as the non-constitutional yada-yada that got him elected? I admit I misjudged his chances, but c'mon! This was a triumph of very clever marketing. So is Red Bull.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:41 pm

No doubt Obama was quite inexperienced upon being elected president. Almost certainly the least experienced politician to be president in modern times (depending on how you evlauate Eisenhower's miltary service). He did, though, have the advantage of at least being familiar with the Constitution and seemed to grasp the concepts therein (he was a constitutional lawyer). I think (but cannot prove) that he also had a passing familiarity with the non-constitutional governmental agencies. These are both things that Palin spectacularly lacks.
Halfie,

Are you suggesting it was his outstanding familiarity with the Constitution as well as the non-constitutional yada-yada that got him elected?
Nope, I never suggested any such thing. Only that they are desireable traits in a politician, irrespective of ideology.

I admit I misjudged his chances, but c'mon! This was a triumph of very clever marketing. So is Red Bull
Are you suggesting that anyone in modern times is elected president absent a triumph of very clever marketing?
Last edited by Half Bottle on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Nope, I never suggested any such thing. Only that they are desireable traits in a politician, irrespective of idealogy.
Concur. I, for one, find Barack Hussein's speeches very calming. A great alternative to chamomile tea after a long day of work.

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”