About GWB

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

ZeroAltitude

About GWB

Postby ZeroAltitude » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:17 am

Here in Germany, we currently hear lots and lots about:
Clinton
Obama

A little less about:
McCain
Romney

But next to nothing about HIM.

Question: Does anybody really keep on taking notice of the current president? :twisted:

I'm almost tempted to say that if GWB wants the world to listen to him and take him seriously once more, he'd have to invade Iran :twisted: :mrgreen:
space intentionally left blank

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Re: About GWB

Postby GerryW » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:43 pm

It's funny ZA, here in our Newspapers, there is still a lot about him and not that they are big fans of him.

el

Postby el » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:25 pm

In Africa we don't hear anything about either of them. Not that I have the feeling that I am missing much.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:31 pm

It's not much different in the old U.S. of A. The latest news seems to be that Dubya admits that the U.S. has used waterboarding but that it's still not torture and it's legal because the Justice Department said it was. Goody.

Oh yes, and he's smiling because he's giving every taxpayer $600 to jump-start the economy. I'm sending a thank-you card to my future grandchildren.
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:40 pm

I thought he's gone to some African countries that no ones ever heard of ,maybe he 's hoping his reputation does'nt precede him?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:26 pm

GWB has proven to be a nightmare for everyone from the moment on when the world got to know the whole premises of the Iraq invasion were false. While at first everyone agreed with the theory of "let's attack them in their homelands before they keep attacking us in ours" the way he did it led to a full blown catastrophe. And noone knows how the US should get out of Iraq and Afghanistan without opening a huge Pandora box. This is to blame entirely on GWB and his administration. The only one who IMHO comes out unharmed is Gen. Colin Powell who resigned when he saw what was really going on.

This leads us to the point where everybody is eager to see GWB out of office. What comes next, be it B. Obama, H. Clinton or McCain, noone has a crystal ball to see into the future and guesses are wild speculation. But this does not belong to this thread.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:16 pm

The only one who IMHO comes out unharmed is Gen. Colin Powell who resigned when he saw what was really going on.
I think you'll find a lot of people who beg to differ, I'll just say the words 'power point presentation' and let Pipe fill you in on the details ...
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 pm

While at first everyone agreed with the theory of "let's attack them in their homelands before they keep attacking us in ours" the way he did it led to a full blown catastrophe.
Everyone ? Another of your sweeping statements, Carlos. I think you'll also find that not everyone agreed with this "theory" either.

On Powell, his reputation is damaged but remains stronger than many associated with Bush's first term, but he himself says he bitterly regrets the infamous UN presentation. He also didn't resign when he "saw what was really going on" - he stuck it out to the end of Bush's first term.

On the original question, it's all about the legacy - Bush knows his term is just about over, so he's spending his last year traveling overseas, as many presidents do, to try to look statesmanlike. That said, here there's still plenty of coverage of Bush because of his continuing role in domestic affairs, eg. the economy, intelligence matters. It's reasonable to suppose that non-American media will look less at US domestic matters.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:06 pm

While at first everyone agreed with the theory of "let's attack them in their homelands before they keep attacking us in ours" the way he did it led to a full blown catastrophe.
Everyone ? Another of your sweeping statements, Carlos. I think you'll also find that not everyone agreed with this "theory" either.

On Powell, his reputation is damaged but remains stronger than many associated with Bush's first term, but he himself says he bitterly regrets the infamous UN presentation. He also didn't resign when he "saw what was really going on" - he stuck it out to the end of Bush's first term.
Obviously not "everyone" in absolute terms, yet "everyone" in general terms to give him freedom of movements to do what he did.

Yes, Powell did not "resign" before the term of the mandate but refused to continue in the team for the reasons we know. He stayed in the government to avoid a huge discussion which would obviously start if he resigned before, maybe out of loyalty for the image of the US government. Or is this yet another sweeping statement of me?

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:59 am

GWB has proven to be a nightmare for everyone from the moment on when the world got to know the whole premises of the Iraq invasion were false. While at first everyone agreed with the theory of "let's attack them in their homelands before they keep attacking us in ours" the way he did it led to a full blown catastrophe. And noone knows how the US should get out of Iraq and Afghanistan without opening a huge Pandora box. This is to blame entirely on GWB and his administration. The only one who IMHO comes out unharmed is Gen. Colin Powell who resigned when he saw what was really going on.

This leads us to the point where everybody is eager to see GWB out of office. What comes next, be it B. Obama, H. Clinton or McCain, noone has a crystal ball to see into the future and guesses are wild speculation. But this does not belong to this thread.
Although the Iraq war is very much connected to GWB, it wasn't exactly his idea. And I dispute that GWB has proven to be a nightmare. A funny change-happy black guy with lots of hope but lack of plan may prove to be equally disastrous, but in a more cozy manner that doesn't make all the lefties in Europe cry out.
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:04 am

Here in Germany, we currently hear lots and lots about:
Clinton
Obama

A little less about:
McCain
Romney

But next to nothing about HIM.

Question: Does anybody really keep on taking notice of the current president? :twisted:

I'm almost tempted to say that if GWB wants the world to listen to him and take him seriously once more, he'd have to invade Iran :twisted: :mrgreen:
All the journalists cover the pre-election and there is a 3-minute limit on daily news for US matters if no "extraordinary" event takes place. I haven't heard much of Roland Koch, either, in the last two weeks.

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 am

All the journalists cover the pre-election and there is a 3-minute limit on daily news for US matters if no "extraordinary" event takes place. I haven't heard much of Roland Koch, either, in the last two weeks.
No not really, eh? ;-)
Sometimes I have a feeling that Koch simply tries to stay in office and hopes nobody will notice :mrgreen: On the other hand, you can't really tell me you want to see him - I mean hearing about him is OK, but seeing him really is not a must :mrgreen:
space intentionally left blank

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 am

Although the Iraq war is very much connected to GWB, it wasn't exactly his idea. And I dispute that GWB has proven to be a nightmare. A funny change-happy black guy with lots of hope but lack of plan may prove to be equally disastrous, but in a more cozy manner that doesn't make all the lefties in Europe cry out.
Obviously not his idea. Did he ever had an own?

But he was idiot enough to be the tool in the hands of those who had this idea way back in the 1990´s. And the damage will be connected to him for ever. Not my kind of President.

You wanna dispute? Based on what? By putting all Bush opponents in the "lefties corner"? Somehow I think we are talking to a Kohl voter here. I suggest a trip to the region most affected by Bush´s desastrous policies. That´s the ME for you, if you have the guts.

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 pm

Obviously not his idea. Did he ever had an own?
I am not one of those people who call him an idiot. I know that is quite fancy but it simplifies things.
But he was idiot enough to be the tool in the hands of those who had this idea way back in the 1990´s. And the damage will be connected to him for ever. Not my kind of President.
Good that you don't have to vote. So many countries have presidents I don't like, while few of those unliked president's countries have aircraft carriers.
The Iraq problem was commonly acknowledged. Many educated critics actually do not dispute that he did it, but more the way it was done. In the end GWB is not in the position to check if a war plan is correct, he must trust his advisers to some extent. Although politically responsible, many responsibilities lie within the chain-of-command and general attitude of the people in charge.
You wanna dispute? Based on what? By putting all Bush opponents in the "lefties corner"? Somehow I think we are talking to a Kohl voter here. I suggest a trip to the region most affected by Bush´s desastrous policies. That´s the ME for you, if you have the guts.
Oh, I actually voted for Kohl. Does that make me bad?
The majority of critic I hear about Bush is exactly on the pathetic level as you demonstrate here: you call him an idiot, a war-monger, you consider all of his supporters "dark lords of evil". Actually, I cannot call that sober arguments. You appear to be trapped in your own limited sets of unquestionable "truths".

FrankM

Postby FrankM » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:17 pm

A funny change-happy black guy with lots of hope but lack of plan may prove to be equally disastrous, but in a more cozy manner that doesn't make all the lefties in Europe cry out.
To me this whole thing looks like another O.J. Simpson case. Although you're bored stiff after 3 days you have to wade through tons of "news" every single day to get through to some stuff you're actually interested in. In both cases a "Let me know when there is a decision, ok ?" to me.

But while we are at it: Why do I always believe this guy will start singing "Oh, happy days" any moment and start collecting money for a new church roof ? Has he ever laid out anything concrete ?
Wir sind dann mal oben !

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:33 pm

No, but it fits exactly in your type of electorate. I wasn´t all wrong about you then, was I.
The majority of critic I hear about Bush is exactly on the pathetic level as you demonstrate here: you call him an idiot, a war-monger, you consider all of his supporters "dark lords of evil". Actually, I cannot call that sober arguments. You appear to be trapped in your own limited sets of unquestionable "truths".
Nonsense!
If ad.com hadn´t gone down the sewer, you´d have a pile of archives where I accused Bush and his cronies when everybody was still in a hype over the Iraq invasion. When it was "unpatriotic" and "un/anti-american", when mud was thrown at a few of us because we were predicting the exact disaster that has become the american Iraq adventure. I´m just too tired to throw it out all again. And anyway, why "throwing pearls before the pigs" to a guy who puts me right away into the "lefties corner" only because I´m critizising Bush since long time, since the times when it wasn´t fashionable at all to critisize him.

Bush critics = Lefties
Israel critics = Anti-Semites
Why not German = Nazis?

You´re the last one who can accuse me of being " trapped in your own limited sets of unquestionable truths". (But that WAS funny, I give you that!) :lol:

I think YOU must be called an idiot if you still buy the fairy tales of "Poor Bush deceived by his evil advisors about the war reasons". And they lived happily ever after ...

Prost!

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Yet another of your sweeping statements, Pipe...

;)

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 am

No, but it fits exactly in your type of electorate. I wasn´t all wrong about you then, was I.
Nonsense!
If ad.com hadn´t gone down the sewer, you´d have a pile of archives where I accused Bush and his cronies when everybody was still in a hype over the Iraq invasion. When it was "unpatriotic" and "un/anti-american", when mud was thrown at a few of us because we were predicting the exact disaster that has become the american Iraq adventure. I´m just too tired to throw it out all again. And anyway, why "throwing pearls before the pigs" to a guy who puts me right away into the "lefties corner" only because I´m critizising Bush since long time, since the times when it wasn´t fashionable at all to critisize him.

Bush critics = Lefties
Why not German = Nazis?

You´re the last one who can accuse me of being " trapped in your own limited sets of unquestionable truths". (But that WAS funny, I give you that!) :lol:

I think YOU must be called an idiot if you still buy the fairy tales of "Poor Bush deceived by his evil advisors about the war reasons". And they lived happily ever after ...

Prost!

Pipe
I feel sorry that your AD.com legacy has vanished. I cannot (and actually don't want to) research your remarks you made in the last 5 years. You either respond with proper arguments or you don't. That's it. What you wrote here so far is bullshit. And I am surprised that despite you being so much more educated on this issue, so much more experienced in the world (hey, you've been to ME!), you always have to increase the level of escalation in such a discussion. Now, after only two posts we're down to stereotype level. Thanks for it, maybe former AD.com is better off in the sewer.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:43 am

Nonsense!

Bush critics = Lefties
Why not German = Nazis?

Prost!

Pipe
I feel sorry that your AD.com legacy has vanished. I cannot (and actually don't want to) research your remarks you made in the last 5 years. You either respond with proper arguments or you don't. That's it. What you wrote here so far is bullshit. And I am surprised that despite you being so much more educated on this issue, so much more experienced in the world (hey, you've been to ME!), you always have to increase the level of escalation in such a discussion. Now, after only two posts we're down to stereotype level. Thanks for it, maybe former AD.com is better off in the sewer.
Yeah, maybe we should stop here, indeed. Just as a reminder: It was YOU who started the stereotype bullshit by putting all Bush critics into the "Leftie Corner". SO, what exactly did you expect in return?

Glad we´ve sorted that out.

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:47 am

Although the Iraq war is very much connected to GWB, it wasn't exactly his idea. And I dispute that GWB has proven to be a nightmare.
No, Bush is not an idiot, the war was not his idea, and he has not proven to be a nightmare. But Pipe puts it well in saying that he allowed certain people to manipulate policy and him personally into getting the United States out of its depth and invade a country that was not a threat to anyone while other tangible threats were left wanting. It may not be a nightmare, but we are dealing with the resulting bad dreams of Pakistan and Afghanistan now, not to mention nuclear proliferation and a polluted reputation on the subject of human rights. Iraq happened on Bush's watch, and his presidency will be judged by success or failure there and in those domestic and other foreign areas which were neglected as a result of Iraq, for many years. In fact, I can't immediately think of anything good that has come out of the Bush Administration, other than maybe that big wildlife and sealife reservation that was declared in western Hawaii, which, as worthy as that is, was also not Bush's idea and hardly defines a presidency.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

David,

I think you´re a crying lefty! ;)
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

Postby Dmmoore » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Time will tell how GWB's presidency and the Iraq escapade is viewed.
There is no doubt Saddam needed to be removed or Iraq would eventually become a threat again "IF" left alone.
Given the intelligence available at the time, most Western countries (including Germany and France) were convinced he had weapons of mass destruction. After the UN's inspectors were in, out, in, out, in again, they began to doubt the existence and indeed believe Saddam had removed / destroyed the ones he was known to have.
It's not so much that the U.S. removed Saddam, that would have to happen sooner or later, but that he did it without the support of several major allies and a flawed exit strategy.
GWB was convinced he could make Iraq into a democracy that would lead the Middle East into the 21st century. Well, so much for that idea.
Again, 50 years from now the world could have a different opinion of GWB.
Harry Truman was not a popular president by anyone estimation, but fifty years later he's been found to have some very interesting ideas that changed our view of the man. That was Truman, time will tell about Bush.
Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:53 pm

There is no doubt Saddam needed to be removed or Iraq would eventually become a threat again "IF" left alone.
Mmmmmm. There is every doubt that Saddam needed to be removed, even if he became a threat again, which was unlikely given 12 years of the containment policy. Anyway, we just don't go marching into countries whom we deem on a whim to be a threat. There are and have been plenty of other countries who have threatened the US which we have left alone.

Saddam was no longer a threat to anyone other than his own people after 1991 or so. Nuclear and biological programs were abandoned after 1992 and chemical weapons after 1995 or maybe 1997. You can argue that this was not known in 2002/2003 : I would argue that on the basis of a balanced assessment of all available intelligence - and also experience, information in the reasonably public domain and good old-fashioned common sense on the part of people who knew the region and who knew Iraq - there was no evidence that Iraq posed any greater threat in 2002 than in 1990. In fact, the threat was zero in 2002, at least considerably less than before, and declining by the year. While there was a cadre of people who wanted to remove Sadam going back to 1993 or 1996 or so, they had little heft in public policy until 9/11 was used as an excuse to give Bush a platform to appear to be doing something to avenge the hijackers. This was pushing at an open door given the post-9/11 hysteria.

All this aside, the reason Saddam had not been a threat since 1991 was the policy of containment and the no-fly zones over Iraq that the US and UK operated from 1991 until 2003. This operated extremely well in curtailing Iraqi aggression and kept Iraq from being a threat. Saddam, who was no fool, knew he had to behave. This is well documented. We forget how well this worked (yes, there were some collateral costs such as having US forces based in Saudi Arabia). How much longer could it have worked ? Who knows, maybe 5 to 10 to 15 years, or maybe less since it was under some strain post-9/11. It would certainly have been cheaper than the disaster we have had since 2003. Most probably we would either have started bilateral or multilateral negotiations of some sort, which might actually have been possible in a post-9/11 atmosphere, when maybe we could have dealt with Iraq from a position of some moral and actual strength at that time. Or Saddam would have died sooner or later, or just possibly he might have been overthrown.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Time will tell how GWB's presidency and the Iraq escapade is viewed.
Given the intelligence available at the time, most Western countries (including Germany and France) were convinced he had weapons of mass destruction. After the UN's inspectors were in, out, in, out, in again, they began to doubt the existence and indeed believe Saddam had removed / destroyed the ones he was known to have.
It's not so much that the U.S. removed Saddam, that would have to happen sooner or later, but that he did it without the support of several major allies and a flawed exit strategy.
GWB was convinced he could make Iraq into a democracy that would lead the Middle East into the 21st century. Well, so much for that idea.
Again, 50 years from now the world could have a different opinion of GWB.
Harry Truman was not a popular president by anyone estimation, but fifty years later he's been found to have some very interesting ideas that changed our view of the man. That was Truman, time will tell about Bush.
I don´t want to discuss Saddam. Just remember that he was your dear ally. As so many that you later on wanted or still want to have removed. A very tricky policy .............. maybe we can call it hipocrisy.

I must have missed that part where "most Western countries (including Germany and France) were convinced he had weapons of mass destruction." If that was true, Don, how do you explain the ridiculous weakness of the "Coalition of the Willing" (Honduras, Costarica anyone)? In fact, after Colin Powell`s already legendary powerpoint presentation at th UN in the forefield of the Iraq invasion, even the last goat in Turkmenistan understood that the WMD and the "smoking gun evidence" threat didn´t pass a hoax. Apart from other scandals, the Plame affair, CIA explicit warnings, Georg Tenet turned into a scapegoat, suicides in Blairland ...

The political climate between the US and Europe went to a new low over this, exactly because many european countries were NOT convinced.

There was a re-election in Germany in 2002 and Gerhard Schröder got a good part of votes because he was categorically against a german participation in your Iraq adventure. And why would he want to join you given the more than shaky "evidences"?

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 pm

I don´t want to discuss Saddam. Just remember that he was your dear ally. As so many that you later on wanted or still want to have removed. A very tricky policy .............. maybe we can call it hipocrisy.
Allies by heart like Stalin and Hitler allies from September 1st 1939 to June 22nd 1941 or the USA and the Soviet Union from the December 11th 1941 to late 1945.
Understand geopolitics?

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”