Castro retiring

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

RadarContactLost

Castro retiring

Postby RadarContactLost » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm

I almost wish he'd stay through next January just so he could say he out lasted JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush2. Gave Haile Selassie a run for the record book.
You're not a Freight Dawg unless you've shot the ILS to 23L at KYIP in a transport category aircraft no longer used in passenger service. You're OG if it had a tailwheel or BMEP gauges.

ZeroAltitude

Re: Castro retiring

Postby ZeroAltitude » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:27 pm

The end of an era. Almost 50 years.
Will they now replace those old vintage Cadillacs and Chevrolets with new composite cracker boxes?
space intentionally left blank

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:35 pm

The end of an era. Almost 50 years.
Will they now replace those old vintage Cadillacs and Chevrolets with new composite cracker boxes?
I doubt there'll be any immediate moves to lift the embargo, sadly. Presumably it'll hang on what reforms follow (if any) and also on who wins in November.

I can't wait though - Havana Club and Cohibas for everybody!

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Too bad, I liked the old bugger.
Per

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

Postby Dmmoore » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:37 pm

I did too Per.
He's 82.
He has been better for the people of Cuba than Batista ever was.
Its too bad the US and Castro couldn't find common ground somewhere.
Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

RadarContactLost

Postby RadarContactLost » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Havana Club would be common enough terreno for me.
You're not a Freight Dawg unless you've shot the ILS to 23L at KYIP in a transport category aircraft no longer used in passenger service. You're OG if it had a tailwheel or BMEP gauges.

Cam

Postby Cam » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:57 pm

It's still a commie hole.

Let the people be free.
You should all know by now....so please stop asking.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:31 am

Put this asshole on trial. Quick, before he burns in hell!
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 am

I really don't care one way or another...just so long as it doesn't f**k up my vacation next week.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ~ WOW, what a ride~!!!

einesellesenie

Postby einesellesenie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:32 am

You guys that "kinda liked the ol' fart" should not.

What Pipe said...100 times.

I still hope to see he get a taste of his own "paredón". I dream...
From listening comes wisdom, and from speaking repentance... and f*** lossy compression

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am

Viva Castro
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:28 am

Why not, I have a long list of Presidents and Prime Ministers I kinda not liked . Most of them from "democracies" and most of them responsible for more humane sufferings that Castro.
Per

Peter_K

Postby Peter_K » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 am

Make that 1000 times. Let’s not forget that besides Cuba he and that murderous pervert Che attempted to spread the sick Marxist ideology from Latin America all the way to Africa. They have blood of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people on their hands.

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:55 am

I doubt there'll be any immediate moves to lift the embargo, sadly. Presumably it'll hang on what reforms follow (if any) and also on who wins in November.
It's pretty ridiculous that the Americans allow trade and investment in numerous other dictatorships and repressive countries (such as China) and don't allow the same in a little country like Cuba. I thought we were always told that trade, commerce and cultural exchanges were the processes which encouraged freedom, political change and freer media. Oh, I see, the anti-Castro community in Florida.

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 pm

It's pretty ridiculous that the Americans allow trade and investment in numerous other dictatorships and repressive countries (such as China) and don't allow the same in a little country like Cuba. I thought we were always told that trade, commerce and cultural exchanges were the processes which encouraged freedom, political change and freer media. Oh, I see, the anti-Castro community in Florida.
I couldn't agree more (just to point out - I was commenting on the reality, not approving of it!). The embargo has been a dismal failure on its own terms. It has managed to impoverish the Cubans, but that's about it.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 pm

Politics = logic? No, didn't think so.
Per

Dmmoore

Postby Dmmoore » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:40 pm

I agree David. As far as Castro goes, if the US had treated him differently during the early years, his relationship with the U.S. and other countries would have been much different. Batista was a crook and we supported him. Castro wanted a better life for all Cubans. At that time he wasn't communist. He became one after the U.S. refused to help or worse listen to his rational for the revolution.

A similar condition with Ho Chi Min in Vietnam. Ho fought with U.S. during WW II but we supported the French. Later "WE" supported the crooks that got themselves elected in the South. Using our 20/20 hindsight, dumb moves both times.

I don't claim to know what would have happened "IF" the U.S. had done things differently, only that there would be a different result.
Don
READY - FIRE - AIM!

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:06 pm

I agree David. As far as Castro goes, if the US had treated him differently during the early years, his relationship with the U.S. and other countries would have been much different. Batista was a crook and we supported him. Castro wanted a better life for all Cubans. At that time he wasn't communist. He became one after the U.S. refused to help or worse listen to his rational for the revolution.

A similar condition with Ho Chi Min in Vietnam. Ho fought with U.S. during WW II but we supported the French. Later "WE" supported the crooks that got themselves elected in the South. Using our 20/20 hindsight, dumb moves both times.

I don't claim to know what would have happened "IF" the U.S. had done things differently, only that there would be a different result.
Accurate and frightening history at the same time, isn´t it Don.

May I ask the question what the US have learnt from these events?

Pipe
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Dmmoore

Postby Dmmoore » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Accurate and frightening history at the same time, isn´t it Don.

May I ask the question what the US have learnt from these events?

Pipe
Yes it is.
I'm afraid the answer is, not much.
Don
READY - FIRE - AIM!

Peter_K

Postby Peter_K » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Wasn’t Sadat (Egypt) also ready to bend over backward in order to win American friendship going even as far, as bringing the Tutankhamen exhibit on the road to America? He and some other ME leaders were basically pushed right into Brezhnev’s open arms.

ZilogMan

Postby ZilogMan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I really don't care one way or another...just so long as it doesn't f**k up my vacation next week.
Don't worry, it won't.
Don, Say Hi to Amelia Earhart for us...

einesellesenie

Postby einesellesenie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Why not, I have a long list of Presidents and Prime Ministers I kinda not liked . Most of them from "democracies" and most of them responsible for more humane sufferings that Castro.
Per
Looks like it is an acquired taste, to kinda like mass murderers... so be it, then...
From listening comes wisdom, and from speaking repentance... and f*** lossy compression

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:05 pm

Castro is a great man.

The USA gave the Cuban people a wonderful gift by imposing a economic blockade and side lining the country

long may it continue.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”