US army murder footage released

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

Sickbag

US army murder footage released

Postby Sickbag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 am

A secret video showing US air crew falsely claiming to have encountered a firefight in Baghdad and then laughing at the dead after launching an air strike that killed a dozen people, including two Iraqis working for Reuters news agency, was revealed by Wikileaks today.
yet more examples of the true face of the US military.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ap ... raq-attack
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Sabre

Re: US army murder footage released

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm

But the video shows there is no shooting or even pointing of weapons.
I'm curious as to whether you or the author actually viewed the entire video. And, as to what you think the guy was doing peering out behind the building from about 4:07 until 4:19 when he pops out and appears to raise something in the direction of the Apache, and what that object may have been.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm curious as to whether you or the author actually viewed the entire video. And, as to what you think the guy was doing peering out behind the building from about 4:07 until 4:19 when he pops out and appears to raise something in the direction of the Apache, and what that object may have been.
A loaded and lethal camera?
And what about the car that tried to pick up the wounded, did they aim with their loaded dicks? Or was it the lack of a red crescent that gave them the free for all.
Sorry, Sabre. I'm not impressed.
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 pm

And what about the car that tried to pick up the wounded, did they aim with their loaded dicks? Or was it the lack of a red crescent that gave them the free for all.
Per
You know, Per, I've always thought you an asswipe, but this is a bit much even for your ever-drunk ass. What free-for-all? They described what they were seeing, requested permission to engage, then received it. They never said they encountered a firefight, only that they were possible hostiles.

I'm curious what all those people were doing walking around in the open with an Apache circling overhead, I'd be running for cover as soon as I heard those T700s overhead.

Or was the Apache pilot somehow to know he was shooting at Saheed Mahmadi (or whatever his name was), the best war photographer in Iraq's glorious history?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:05 pm

A loaded and lethal camera?
Per
Indeed it is Per, indeed it is. After all, what else would a photographer be carrying? Of course that's pretty easy to say when one is looking for a photographer, and can pause and review the video many times. In a chopper, in a combat zone*, the better part of a mile away**, I'd guess its not that easy to tell. If you were looking for a camera with a long lens, and someone a mile away pointed a RPG at you, you'd probably see a camera.

* No I've never been in combat, or even in the military, my career ended in AFROTC when I failed my physical.
** I say a mile away because the rounds take around 2 seconds to hit from the time they are fired.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:15 pm

It has been noted elsewhere that the photographers were embedded with an insurgent group. And as Sabre pointed out, the guy crouching by the building on the corner ain't brandishing no camera.

In war zones, some really f*cked-up sh*t happens. Who knew?
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Puts the US army at the same moral level as those who plant IEDs

Who would of thought it?

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Puts the US army at the same moral level as those who plant IEDs

Who would of thought it?
A. Would you care to elaborate on that?

B. You, even prior to this footage.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:04 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 060395.ece

A night raid carried out by US and Afghan gunmen led to the deaths of two pregnant women, a teenage girl and two local officials in an atrocity which Nato then tried to cover up, survivors have told The Times.

The operation on Friday, February 12, was a botched pre-dawn assault on a policeman’s home a few miles outside Gardez, the capital of Paktia province, eastern Afghanistan. In a statement after the raid titled “Joint force operating in Gardez makes gruesome discovery”, Nato claimed that the force had found the women’s bodies “tied up, gagged and killed” in a room.

A Times investigation suggests that Nato’s claims are either wilfully false or, at best, misleading. More than a dozen survivors, officials, police chiefs and a religious leader interviewed at and around the scene of the attack maintain that the perpetrators were US and Afghan gunmen.
Not just in Iraqi but in Afghanistan too, there is a relentless regime of cover up and lies to hide the real truth of what is happening out there.

But you guys keep jerking off over the stars and stripes and pretend every thing's alright...

KABUL, Afghanistan — After initially denying involvement or any cover-up in the deaths of three Afghan women during a badly bungled American Special Operations assault in February, the American-led military command in Kabul admitted late on Sunday that its forces had, in fact, killed the women during the nighttime raid.
The admission immediately raised questions about what really happened during the Feb. 12 operation — and what falsehoods followed — including a new report that Special Operations forces dug bullets out of the bodies of the women to hide the true nature of their deaths.

A NATO official also said Sunday in an interview that an Afghan-led team of investigators had found signs of evidence tampering at the scene, including the removal of bullets from walls near where the women were killed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/world ... ?ref=world

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm

The botched raid in Afghanistan sounds like those responsible tried to cover their mistake so as not to incur the wrath of their commanders. As egregious as it was, I don't see extrapolating it to a systemic policy. In other words, it is highly doubtful that members of the military are being told to go out and kill innocent civilians and then cover it up.

Basically, they screwed up, and they lied to their NATO commanders about what happened. But there is no "relentless regime of cover up and lies" there, whatever that is supposed to mean.

And for the last time, it's "would have", not "would of". Hope this helps.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Basically, they screwed up, and they lied to their NATO commanders about what happened. But there is no "relentless regime of cover up and lies" there, whatever that is supposed to mean.
All is well all is well, the attempted cover up of torture,renditions ,secret prisons, targeting of civilians, unlawful executions and missile strikes all just building good will and bringing American peace and freedom to the world.

Carry on.

“We have shot an amazing number of people, but to my knowledge, none has ever proven to be a threat,”
Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal,

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/world ... fghan.html

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:42 pm

The botched raid in Afghanistan sounds like those responsible tried to cover their mistake so as not to incur the wrath of their commanders.
BTW Can't wait for the trial
How's the criminal investigation going?

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Per
You know, Per, I've always thought you an asswipe, but this is a bit much even for your ever-drunk ass. What free-for-all? They described what they were seeing, requested permission to engage, then received it. They never said they encountered a firefight, only that they were possible hostiles.

I'm curious what all those people were doing walking around in the open with an Apache circling overhead, I'd be running for cover as soon as I heard those T700s overhead.

Or was the Apache pilot somehow to know he was shooting at Saheed Mahmadi (or whatever his name was), the best war photographer in Iraq's glorious history?
Apaches overhead? I thought you smart, but as Sabre indicates they were likely a mile away, so how could they feel threatened? When you shoot unarmed people trying to help the wounded, that is a free for all. Permission to engage or not.
Piss poor performance and the cover-up does not help.
Does the name calling make you feel smarter, slimmer, richer, more beautiful or is it just a confirmation of you being a complete loser? Just wondering.
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Apaches overhead? I thought you smart, but as Sabre indicates they were likely a mile away, so how could they feel threatened? When you shoot unarmed people trying to help the wounded, that is a free for all. Permission to engage or not.
Does the name calling make you feel smarter, slimmer, richer, more beautiful or is it just a confirmation of you being a complete loser? Just wondering.
Per
The video doesn't show anyone trying to "help the wounded" being shot at. The van is mentioned, but never shown, much less shown being engaged. Pesky things, facts.

An Apache a mile away is a threat. If you don't believe me, how about you stand somewhere and I'll open up at you with that gun from a mile away?

If you are the definition of a winner, I'll take the loser comment as a compliment.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Per
The video doesn't show anyone trying to "help the wounded" being shot at. The van is mentioned, but never shown, much less shown being engaged. Pesky things, facts.

An Apache a mile away is a threat. If you don't believe me, how about you stand somewhere and I'll open up at you with that gun from a mile away?

If you are the definition of a winner, I'll take the loser comment as a compliment.
Then I watched another video, because I saw the van arrive, unarmed people came out and started to carry/drag the wounded person in the direction of the van. They have censorship in the USA? The helicopter then shot the crap out of the van, before the guys on foot arrived and carried the kids to safety. Pesky things those facts.
I do not underestimate the threat of a Apache from a mile away, but did it at any time look like they on the ground did? Did the crew of the Apaches feel threatened by those on the ground?
Me a winner or a loser? That's funny since I never bother to even think about it. A little insecure, are we?
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 pm

Then I watched another video, because I saw the van arrive, unarmed people came out and started to carry/drag the wounded person in the direction of the van. They have censorship in the USA? The helicopter then shot the crap out of the van, before the guys on foot arrived and carried the kids to safety. Pesky things those facts.
They must, because the video I saw stops shortly after the mention of the van at around 8:58.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm

The full 17 minute video is here:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=42b_1270489420

It shows the attempted van rescue. Warning: the dialogue on the audio will cause Sicky and Per to implode.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Carry on.
Will do.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:58 pm

The full 17 minute video is here:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=42b_1270489420

It shows the attempted van rescue. Warning: the dialogue on the audio will cause Sicky and Per to implode.
Having seen the rest of the video, I must say I would have blasted that van too. With a Hellfire.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 pm

It will commence as soon as we round up all the guilty parties and send them to a gulag.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 pm

It will commence as soon as we round up all the guilty parties and send them to a gulag.
Indeed.There are so many CIA prisons to choose from.

http://assembly.coe.int/CommitteeDocs/2 ... mbargo.pdf

Marc 1

Postby Marc 1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am

War is seldom 'just' or 'right'. War is just nasty - particularly a COIN war where civillians and 'bad guys' dress alike. I don't like what I saw on that video, but some of the guys did have weapons. I don't subscribe to the idea that you have to be receiving fire before engaging the enemy - if you have a weapon in a country that is under occupation, and you are not part of the occupying forces, then you are a target. If you chose to associate with insurgents as the photographer/reporter did, then you too may be killed. The other 'fact' is that attrocities are committed by all sides in wars - the vanquished are called to account - the victors manage to escape under 'the fog of war'.

As to children being injured - what parent would drive their van with their kids in it to an area where Apache's were still circling after taking out 8 insurgents. That seems crazy to me. Maybe the bloke in the van didn't know the AH-64's were around - either way I'd be keeping my kids and family far away from doing anything risky, regardless of whether I could hear choppers or not.

There was a way to avoid these killings - not to have invaded in the first place.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 am

What makes you all think that the 'targets' were aware of the Apache?

Cam

Postby Cam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 am

I've seen other video of Apache attacks and these guys are way up there. I don't know the distances, but in one instance they zoomed out to regular (or what seemed like regular) view and they must have been a couple miles away.
You should all know by now....so please stop asking.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:49 am

War is seldom 'just' or 'right'. War is just nasty - particularly a COIN war where civillians and 'bad guys' dress alike. I don't like what I saw on that video, but some of the guys did have weapons. I don't subscribe to the idea that you have to be receiving fire before engaging the enemy - if you have a weapon in a country that is under occupation, and you are not part of the occupying forces, then you are a target. If you chose to associate with insurgents as the photographer/reporter did, then you too may be killed. The other 'fact' is that attrocities are committed by all sides in wars - the vanquished are called to account - the victors manage to escape under 'the fog of war'.

As to children being injured - what parent would drive their van with their kids in it to an area where Apache's were still circling after taking out 8 insurgents. That seems crazy to me. Maybe the bloke in the van didn't know the AH-64's were around - either way I'd be keeping my kids and family far away from doing anything risky, regardless of whether I could hear choppers or not.

There was a way to avoid these killings - not to have invaded in the first place.
I bet that those in the van who tried to save lives would be considered heroes if circumstances and nationalities had been different.
Per

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”