you'd be a fool not to

This forum is about German issues.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

Giles

you'd be a fool not to

Postby Giles » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:12 pm

In the movie "The Bourne Identity" Marie says to Bourne in German after being offered $10,000 to drive him to Paris "Sie halten mich wohl für total bescheuert" which according to the English subtitle translates to "you probably think im totally crazy". Bourne's reply, also in German, is "Ich denke nicht, daß Sie bescheuert sind" which the English subtitle says is "you'd be a fool not to take it". However, according to an internet translation it means "I do not think that you are crazy".

Which one is it?

ZeroAltitude

Re: you'd be a fool not to

Postby ZeroAltitude » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:33 pm

"I do not think that you are crazy" is it.

Great movie series btw.
space intentionally left blank

el

Postby el » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Great movie series btw.
I found the books much better than the movies.

FrankM

Postby FrankM » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:12 pm

At least she is a real Kraut talking. As opposed to "Die Hard" (1 or 2, the one where the Krauts hijack that business tower in LA). "Los, Hans, schieß auf das Glas". The dialogs were dubbed by a Americans who spoke fairly good German, but certainly not without accent. Watched that movie in the Stanford movie theatre in Palo Alto. Took me a while to realize I was the only laughing ...
Wir sind dann mal oben !

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

Postby Dmmoore » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Great movie series btw.
Without exception, any movie made from a book will be the Readers Digest version. A lot of details will be left out.

I have found that reading the book enhances the movie experience.
Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 am

Great movie series btw.
Without exception, any movie made from a book will be the Readers Digest version. A lot of details will be left out.

IF the book was written independently from the movie production. I have found that reading a book that was written "based on the screenplay" is a total waste of time.

But as you say, Don, reading the book, then watching the movie really enhances the experience.
The reason is that books and movies have almost completely different sets of possibilities to carry their messages, starting from the duration of the experience (the last big novel I read took me all of three months to read - and I had my share of enjoyment from 15 to 120 minutes each day), while a movie is from 1 1/2 to 3 hrs max.

el

Postby el » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:58 pm

I usually find myself rather disappointed watching a movie made after a good/exciting/thrilling book which I have already read before watching the movie.

Giles

Postby Giles » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:31 pm

thanks, ZA.

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:38 am

I usually find myself rather disappointed watching a movie made after a good/exciting/thrilling book which I have already read before watching the movie.
I just ordered "No country for old men" from amazon. The book. Let's wait and see.

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Actually, I saw a movie made after a good,exciting and thrilling book and I must say that it was like in the book. But I must admit that it was a docu-movie, so it based on facts how it really was. And to deviate from the book would kill the story.

The book is called : "Touching the Void" and the movie is called the same way.
Touching the Void is a book by Joe Simpson recounting the true story of Simpson's and Simon Yates' disastrous and near fatal attempt to climb the 6,344 metre (20,813 foot) Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985. The book won the 1989 NCR Book Award. In 2003, fifteen years after it was first published, the book was turned into a documentary film of the same name directed by Kevin MacDonald. The film won the Alexander Korda Award for Best British Film at the 2004 BAFTA Awards and was featured at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.
Touching the Void at Wikipedia

Return to “Kraut Corner”