Please share some icing stories...

Have a question regarding commercial aviation? Get an answer from a real airline pilot!

Moderators: el, ZeroAltitude, flyboy2548m

3WE

Please share some icing stories...

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:34 pm

I read a lot of "Near-Total-OMG-did-he-died?" icing stories in my obscure magazine of Melmoths and moustaches.

However, it SEEMS like you airline guys never have anything at all whatsoever to say about ice.

I know you have bad-ass anti-icing equipment and that your ability to four-one-oh (or whatever altitude) your aircraft limits your exposure to ice, but I would think you guys would have some stories of impressively-caked-up windshield wipers or random antenna that grew by inches or something...anything?

I know I have at least three experiences of seeing some ice on turboprops at altitudes below 30K- but not sure I've ever seen anything on a 'real' jet airliner.

Seriously- do you guys "never" gather any discussion-worthy ice anywhere on descent or climb out? Something to do with your higher operating speeds?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: Please share some icing stories...

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 pm

However, it SEEMS like you airline guys never have anything at all whatsoever to say about ice.

Seriously- do you guys "never" gather any discussion-worthy ice anywhere on descent or climb out?
I suppose it depends on your definition of "discussion-worthy", but in-flight icing is, in fact, not much of an issue for transport-category jets.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:17 am

3we are you flying these days? As a Cessna driver in Seattle I have a very high respect for the ice machine we refer to as "The Cascades".

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:00 pm

I once had to drink a warm coke on a flight from Gatwick to Dublin due to no ice being available. But this was Ryan air so I suppose they didn't want to incur the weight penalty.

Your welcome.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:45 pm

I once had to drink a warm coke on a flight from Gatwick to Dublin due to no ice being available. But this was Ryan air so I suppose they didn't want to incur the weight penalty.

Your welcome.
Thanks.

That would seem to be relatively consistent with Flyboy's comments as an actual insider.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Airline Pilot Q&A”