Log Books

Have a question regarding commercial aviation? Get an answer from a real airline pilot!

Moderators: el, ZeroAltitude, flyboy2548m

3WE

Log Books

Postby 3WE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Yes/No?

1. Transport pilots predominantly use some sort of fancy, electronic cloud thing for their flight log.

2. Regardless of where Bobby stores 'his' OFFICIAL aircraft log, paper exists in the cockpit with A RECENT 'LOG' OF MAINTENANCE in most instances.

This isn't that big of a deal, to me but Prof. Robert got a bit impassioned. I dunno, I found it handy to have my flight log for instructor sign offs and a couple other things... yeah, if I crashed and burned, or got 172-jacked, I'd be SOL... but hey, there's pros and cons to almost everything...
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: Log Books

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Yes/No?

1. Transport pilots predominantly use some sort of fancy, electronic cloud thing for their flight log.

2. Regardless of where Bobby stores 'his' OFFICIAL aircraft log, paper exists in the cockpit with A RECENT 'LOG' OF MAINTENANCE in most instances.

This isn't that big of a deal, to me but Prof. Robert got a bit impassioned. I dunno, I found it handy to have my flight log for instructor sign offs and a couple other things... yeah, if I crashed and burned, or got 172-jacked, I'd be SOL... but hey, there's pros and cons to almost everything...
1. Yes, but you'll be surprised how many people still use paper. Mostly because they're too lazy to transfer all their stuff to an electronic platform. Back when I transferred all of mine to LogbookPro, it took me nearly 4 moths to input everything. This is why some electronic log providers now offer the service of transferring stuff for you (provided it's legible) for a fee.

2. For transport, air-carrier aircraft, yes. Procedures vary as to how entries are made as well as how many actual AMLs are carried (some carriers have separate airframe and powerplant logs).
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Re: Log Books

Postby 3WE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 am

...Transport pilots predominantly use some sort of fancy, electronic cloud thing for their flight log...
...Yes, but you'll be surprised how many people still use paper. Mostly because they're too lazy to transfer all their stuff to an electronic platform...
1. Thanks.

2. For ALL of the computer enhancements and power, it's pretty damn sad how inefficient (or much sheer work) that computer systems can be (speaking of cow manure and corn yields). Not overly surprised that there are a lot of pen & paper hold outs, nor do I fault Bobby for not wanting to lose 'everything'.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Airline Pilot Q&A”