Steep Banks at 10K feet, 250 knots and 45 degrees in the sim...

Have a question regarding commercial aviation? Get an answer from a real airline pilot!

Moderators: el, ZeroAltitude, flyboy2548m

3WE

Steep Banks at 10K feet, 250 knots and 45 degrees in the sim...

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I don't recall what altitude or speed we did steep banks in aluminum 172s* (safety was a major consideration), but the objectives of said banks were too:

-Hone stick and rudder skills to maintain altitude with healthy back-pressure without stalling...

-And to remember that steep banks are something that might just occur much closer to the ground where you might encounter a wake vortex or something...and that while a super steep bank at 500 feet might be your undoing- at least don't freak out and relentlessly pull up and simply stall spin crash and burn.

What I heard Bobbieeee saying was 10,000, 250 knots, 45 degrees, and in the sim...and zero mention of what the purpose was of the maneuver.

Memorize and barf back the procedure, but to hell with fundamental airmanship.

As I have stated before, I have no doubt that the Domestic Super Genius Airbus Pilot of the Millennium recites the procedure flawlessly, and executes it flawlessly, and recognizes the objective of what he is doing (all 3).

I ass-ume the same of the Domestic Super Genius Dummy Conventional Control Pilot of the Millennium is much the same.

The International Average IQ Freight Pilot of the Millennium...I occasionally have my doubts (even though my life is limited to Flying Mag, Parlour talk and my wife unhooked my damn yoke, so no MSFS either).

Much more importantly- do you have an ElCamino, or just a Dodge Pickup and your hobby is riding LH-747's to watch soccer matches?

*Footnote: We did go for a 60-degree bank.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Re: Steep Banks at 10K feet, 250 knots and 45 degrees in the sim...

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Additional ramblings:

Do steep banks only occur at 10,000 feet and 250 knots? Can't they happen at other altitudes and speeds. (And regardless if it's wake turbulence or weather or some sort of collision avoidance maneuver.)

...and you are in the sim, right? Why not try it at 1000 ft AGL, full flaps and 150 knots where your performance is going to matter? (Real plane- yeah, 10K and 250 makes sense)

Again what is the objective- I Ass-ume it's more than just knowing you need some back pressure on the yoke to maintain altitude.

While I fantasize that you might make a lengthy reply of, "Yes, 3BS, I understand what you are saying", realistically, I am hoping this all ranks a simple
Yes.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: Steep Banks at 10K feet, 250 knots and 45 degrees in the sim...

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 am

What?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Return to “Airline Pilot Q&A”