Frogs

Ask a real life Air Traffic Controller

Moderator: ATCBob

Melissa
Mrs. ISGPOTM

Frogs

Postby Melissa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:03 am

Why do the French Air Traffic Controllers suck so much?
Melissa* PPL SEL, Instrument Airplane, Complex Airplane Endorsement, IGI.
Official Winner of the ASF (Version 1.0) Aviation Safety Quiz 2006
Official Winner of the ad.info (Version 1.1) Fantasy Football League "Cleared For Touchdown" 2009

J

Flying Frogs

Postby J » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:14 pm

In a related observation, was at IAD recently to pick up Mrs. J who was coming in on a Lufthansa 747. I brought my ATC scanner to pass the time while waiting in a parking lot adjacent to one of the runways and listened to aircraft on approach and checking in with the tower. A weather front was passing through and all operations ceased for about 20 minutes. The first aircraft to call in was Lufthansa. Winds were still a little choppy and after getting the clearance to land the crew advised the tower that if a go around was necessary they proposed to steer a certain direction, etc. and the tower agreed. I was impressed. Here is a crew thinking ahead and briefing the tower.

As the wife had to clear customs, etc. I remained in the parking lot for a few more minutes to hear an Air France A330 checking in. After acknowledging their landing clearance the tower asked about their ride the last few miles, the cloud conditions, etc. There was no response so the tower called again and got a fairly unspecific description. Realizing final approach is a prttty busy time, I was struck by the differences in style of the two crews, one focused and thinking ahead, the other some what lackadaisical.

VectorForFood

Re: Frogs

Postby VectorForFood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:06 am

J, you have no idea how far your observation carriers out .

Return to “Air Traffic Control Q&A”