Digger

ATC staffing--This is well worth a listen

Postby Digger » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:58 pm

A very informative interview with NATCA spokesman Doug Church:

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/files/2008 ... IFRMag.mp3

VectorForFood

Re: ATC staffing--This is well worth a listen

Postby VectorForFood » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 am

IFR staffing here is also in a troublesome state, I won't say critical yet at my facility, but our numbers are reducing not increasing with retirements, we're still filling our shifts but it's definately getting worse other facilities are bordering on critical staffing levels.

That being said the company here has made several major changes to fix the problem but it will take some time for those efforts to take effect, assuming the new efforts are a success.

For those that say "Well the ATC system is still working"

Well you can fly a 747 with one pilot if you have to, but it's not exactly safe, that one pilot is going to be doing a lot more work than they should be to do the job safely and efficently.

Thanks for the post Digger, enjoyed it.

klmn802

You are my life wow

Postby klmn802 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 pm

When you need someone to listen, I'll be there. When you need a hug, I'll be there. When you need someone to hold your hand, I'll be there. When you need someone to wipe your tears, guess what? I'll be there.
you are my life.you're my one and only dream.i love you,and to you that i mean.together for always, i hope we will be.i'll love you always.

- spam deleted - ZA

Cam

Postby Cam » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:35 am

What's the VFR situation like here?
You should all know by now....so please stop asking.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:10 am

There's only the two VFR control towers in the area. YQM and YHZ, AFAIK YQM is training for new positions, I have not heard either way about YHZ, but I would assume they are generally hiring as well.

YQM tower, although a lower paygrade is foolishly busy on a VFR day, having flown into both myself, in the last year or so I would easily rate YQM tower controllers as far busier than those in YHZ.

The difference being as you know the Chinese air force (AKA 100's of Chinese flight students at MFC) are crowding the skies at YQM, and now at the non-radar/uncontrolled YFC.

It's so busy in fact that I take the 1.5 hour drive and $40 bridge toll to rent airplanes from YYG from time to time.

Return to “Air Traffic Control Q&A”