pilots with beards?

If your fingers leave deep impressions in the armrests of your seat each time you fly, find out here how flying can be fun once you've left the horrors of the terminal building behind

Moderator: sindeewell

Sickbag

pilots with beards?

Postby Sickbag » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 pm

A good sign or bad?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

ZeroAltitude

Re: pilots with beards?

Postby ZeroAltitude » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 pm

In level flight, a good sign.
While the plane is tumbling toward the ground out of control, a bad sign.
space intentionally left blank

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

Postby Dmmoore » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm

In commercial jets, beards are a no - no. The O2 mask will not seal and work correctly. A neatly trimmed moustache is acceptable.
Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:22 am

Thank you Don. I was actually going to point that out as I had read it somewhere during my research of aviation safety.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ~ WOW, what a ride~!!!

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:50 am

This isn't helping.
I once flew into Cusco , one of the most challenging commercial airports in the world, with a pilot who looked like Captain Haddock.I took his face hair to be a sign of maturity and reassurance but now your telling me I was only moments away from a whiskery death?

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:48 am

This isn't helping.
I once flew into Cusco , one of the most challenging commercial airports in the world, with a pilot who looked like Captain Haddock.I took his face hair to be a sign of maturity and reassurance but now your telling me I was only moments away from a whiskery death?
I once did a glacier flight in Switzerland in a PA-18.
The pilot's face was hardly recognizable behind his beard that was about 10 inches long.
What he said was equally unrecognizable as he didn't speak any language other than Berndüütsch.

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

Postby Dmmoore » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:23 am

Non pressurized aircraft operated below 12000 feet do not require oxygen masks. Only commercial jet liner pilots. :mrgreen:
Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:26 am

Non pressurized aircraft operated below 12000 feet do not require oxygen masks. Only commercial jet liner pilots. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure we stayed below 12000 all the time :mrgreen:
Awesome experience (but not because of the pilot's beard) :mrgreen:

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 pm

I doubt you could get to Cusco without going to 12,000 feet even if you walked.The town itself is at 11000 feet and is situated in a valley.
The fully bearded pilot was flying me and a hundred or so others on a 737 or Airbus equivalent.

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:55 pm

I doubt you could get to Cusco without going to 12,000 feet even if you walked.The town itself is at 11000 feet and is situated in a valley.
The fully bearded pilot was flying me and a hundred or so others on a 737 or Airbus equivalent.
Sickbag, I wish to ask a few questions pertaining to your fear.
Were you at all frightened during this flight?
Did the pilot perform his duties/tasks properly?
Was there something other than the fact that the pilot wore a full beard to cause you concern?
What is it exactly that worried you about a pilot with a beard?

My hypothesis - (in other words - my opinion): Major destinations in North America, Europe & Asia adhere to the 'no beard' rule but in areas where aviation has less stringent regulations, there is more tolerance.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I am by far, no where's near being an authority on the matter of pilot regulations.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ~ WOW, what a ride~!!!

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Was there something other than the fact that the pilot wore a full beard to cause you concern?
I think you misunderstand me,I liked the beard, I found it reassuring,I think more pilots should wear beards to reassure fearful fliers.

What caused me a slight concern was when I went to take the return flight to Lima I discovered the airline had run out of serviceable aircraft to fly and had suspended all flights countrywide.
Last edited by Sickbag on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 pm

I think you misunderstand me,I liked the beard, I found it reassuring,I think more pilots should wear beards to reassure fearful fliers.

What caused me a slight concern was when I went to take the return flight to Lima I discovered the airline had run out of serviceable aircraft to fly and had suspended all flights countrywide.[/quote]

Indeed - missed that part. I would find that VERY disconcerting to find that there were no serviceable aircraft within the airline...and that the flights were cancelled. That would scare the crap out of me...and at that point, I would care if the pilot looked like Chubaka.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:42 pm

[

Indeed - missed that part. I would find that VERY disconcerting to find that there were no serviceable aircraft within the airline...and that the flights were cancelled. That would scare the crap out of me...and at that point, I would care if the pilot looked like Chubaka.

Maybe pilots could wear false beards to reassure their passengers that they are mature and dependable and then remove them in the cockpit to conform to regulations?

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Maybe pilots could wear false beards to reassure their passengers that they are mature and dependable and then remove them in the cockpit to conform to regulations?
Possibly some kind of 'quick-release' beard arrangement could be devised, using a pin and cable system similar to that found on the doors of some aerobatic aircraft. In the event of cabin pressure loss, the crew would jettison beards immediately prior to donning emergency O2. I suppose there might be a risk of control jams due to unrestrained beards in the cockpit - perhaps further investigation is required before I email the FAA.

There is also the thorny question of female crewmembers. Should each airline be given discretion to determine their own procedures in this respect?

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I found my bearded pilot here:
http://www.swissaviation.ch/aktuell/19990910/port.htm
(sorry, only in German).
I like the part where it says that on sunny days on the glacier, he hardly has time to eat and sometimes eats his potato salad during the flight, explaining the surrounding landscape to his sole passenger in the Piper, pointing with his fork.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Possibly some kind of 'quick-release' beard arrangement could be devised, using a pin and cable system similar to that found on the doors of some aerobatic aircraft. In the event of cabin pressure loss, the crew would jettison beards immediately prior to donning emergency O2. I suppose there might be a risk of control jams due to unrestrained beards in the cockpit - perhaps further investigation is required before I email the FAA.

There is also the thorny question of female crewmembers. Should each airline be given discretion to determine their own procedures in this respect?
Good ideas, and how about if the oxygen masks had hirsute appendages around the face seal, that way even in an emergency there would be continuity of the beard illusion.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I found my bearded pilot here:
http://www.swissaviation.ch/aktuell/19990910/port.htm
(sorry, only in German).
I like the part where it says that on sunny days on the glacier, he hardly has time to eat and sometimes eats his potato salad during the flight, explaining the surrounding landscape to his sole passenger in the Piper, pointing with his fork.
He has a beard,smokes a pipe in the cockpit and is Swiss.
Could there ever be a more reassuring pilot?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 pm

So, a Gulfstream V, which, as you may have heard, flies higher than any jetliner except for the Concorde doesn't require O2 masks, what with it not being a "commercial jetliner"?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Speaking of which, I once flew in the jumpseat on a couple of United revenue flights (pre-9/11, of course). As soon as the pilots were in the cockpit, they removed their hats and ties. The ties were clip-ons, no less.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:47 pm

I wonder if Ed is going to be pissed when he sees this thread necromancing. I realise in this case it was the 'freshest' thread in the forum, but it's still smelling pretty bad.

IntheShade
ISGPOTM, 2nd only to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger

Postby IntheShade » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:48 pm

One day I am going to grow a beard like ZZ Top
Aviation Pilot, Author, Genius

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Like Frank Beard's?

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:57 pm

If you can grow a beard like that in one day I will be mightilly impressed

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 am

I love ZZ Top....cool guys and an even cooler car!

Return to “Fear of Flying Forum”