In memoriam Don Moore - condolence book

Moderators: FrankM, el

Digger

Re: In memoriam Don Moore - condolence book

Postby Digger » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Don, You've left us far, far too soon, but, even through a connection as tenuous as an internet forum, richer for having known you...

John Martin

Pittsburgh PA

flyingspark

Postby flyingspark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 pm

So sad.

I never spoke to Don, but always read his posts with interest and respect.

Such a shame, Always thought he would be a great guy to go for a beer with and just listen to.

Clive.

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:46 pm

I am very saddened by Don's passing. The guy always had good input and was always willing to share information. He also ignored a lot of criticism and seldom responded in an aggresive way. He will be missed.

Rest in peace, friend.

G.H.
Columbus, OH.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 pm

We have lost a friend for whom we have a lot of respect. The last true enthusiast.
Don, you'll be flying forever.
Margareth and Per Bertelsen
Norway

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:54 am

It's amazing how much respect one person can gain through something as simple as an internet forum.

Don your insight and contributions to everyones lives on here, and no doubt to your family will never be forgotten.

I will miss you, and so will everyone who has had the pleasure to know you.

Rest in peace Don, your family is in my familys prayers.

Chris Wonnacott
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

DeskFlyer

Postby DeskFlyer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 am

For all the online communities that you have left your mark on over the years Don, we are all diminished by your passing.
Your knowledge, wisdom & respect will be missed.

Phil Melville
Melbourne, Australia.
Darth: Luke, I know what you are getting for Christmas.
Luke: Noooo! That's impossible.
Darth: I felt your presents.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:56 am

High
Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth.
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind i've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee Jr.

I too only knew Don from the forums he shared his considerable knowledge with us in. He was always kind, and generous in his candor...I will miss him greatly, as will many others....My condolences to his Family and Friends!

Sparky. aka Dewey

einesellesenie

Postby einesellesenie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:57 am

Since my first contact with AD.com forumites, right after the GOL accident, he was always very kind toward this inquisitive idiot here as well as a very informative poster.

I will sincerely miss his presence here.

Thank you, Don.

ACCS
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
From listening comes wisdom, and from speaking repentance... and f*** lossy compression

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 am

Once a person's internet life is revealed to their family it can be a shocking, unsettling experience -but here in our small corner of the internet, we unequivocally benefited from Don's geneorsity of spirit and years of technical acumen.

Don, you illuminated my murky brain with clear, useful descriptions. Thank you for your selfless time and patience and your good will. If a man's personality can be projected so successfully into a void like the internet with the passion you did it, then there is hope for us all. You were a man to aspire to.

Ben

London, UK.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:28 am

Like so many around here I never had the pleasure to meet Don, but I have enjoyed Don's postings and will miss him dearly.
I hope Don's family and friends will take some comfort in the knowledge that Don left a deep, positive mark on the World.

Rest in peace, Don.

Henrik Jordahn
Roskilde, Denmark
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Frankie
Site Admin

Postby Frankie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Don,

although we never met, I will surely miss your presence on the forum and your valuable input. Rest in peace. My thoughts go out to the family.

Frank Thürigen
Berlin / Germany

J

Postby J » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 pm

I too was sorry to hear of Don's sudden passing. If you examine information posted by others from Don's blogs you can see he had in interesting and varied career and had the pleasure piloting a list of notable aircraft.
Earned my Private Pilots License on 4 July 1965. Earned my A&P license Spring 1966. Hired in with Flying Tiger Line as a Hangar Mechanic October 1966. Filled assignments in Cold Bay, Seattle, Anchorage and Los Angeles As Line Mechanic, Lead Mechanic and Supervisor of Maintenance Control (LAX Headquarters). Tigers was absorbed by FedEx in August of 1989. Worked in the Engineering department (LAX satellite office) supporting 747, 727, DC-8, DC-10, A300-600, A310 and MD-11 Aircraft. Assigned to Singapore in 2003 supporting our MD-11 heavy maintenance vendor (SASCO). January Retired 2008.

Over the years logged a little over 3,000 hours of flying general aviation aircraft of all sizes. Most of the Piper line from the J-3 Cub through Aztec. Most of the Beech line From the D-17 Stagger Wing through the King Air. Cessna's From the C-120 through C-500. Pilot in command (PIC) stopped in 2006 due medical reasons.

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:11 pm

As many know, I don't take a laptop with me on trips as getting away from the forums for a few days is not a bad thing. I returned from a 4 day late last night and in catching up, I was greeted with this shocking news.

Don always struck me as the essence of Dignity. Well versed in his profession, self deprecating, and he never let himself be dragged into the Forum wrestling matches. While I didn't agree with all his postings, his passing is a great loss and I'm sure I would have enjoyed sharing a beer with him. Instead, I'll raise one tonight in his honor.

May the final flight west be smooth while chasing the sunset...

aardvark2zz

Postby aardvark2zz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 am

It's incredible how one can hope to meet some people sometime into the future and then suddenly find they have passed away. :o

I hope you, your family, and friends may find comfort in knowing that your loved one touched the lives of so many others and gave them the gift of many happy memories.

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

I will always remember Don.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Capt. Clarence Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 am

When I joined the predecessor of AD.info in 2004, I was motivated to do so by the quality of the postings of three contributors in particular. One of the three was Don Moore. While I was in KL, he was only a few hundred kilometers away in Singapore, but I never found the time to visit (as is so often the case with local monuments....). Don, on the other hand, was someone who always found the time for others, to answer their questions, to share his knowledge and put up with their behaviour, all with his characteristic equanimity; and that is how I shall remember Don......a Gentleman, in the very best sense of the word.
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Billy

Postby Billy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 am

Don was a class act who inspired.

For me to attempt to add anymore to what has already been said would be patronizing at best.

To Don's family--In your time of grieving, I hope you can muster a small smile to know that there is a sadness the world over regarding the loss of Don. A smile only to recognize the impact this wonderful gentleman had on the world around him, both in person and virtually. A pearl in a sea of oysters, his life is one to be celebrated.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all of you during this sad time.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:38 am

I did not know him particularly well, but Don was always patient, informative, and very helpful. When I first joined this forum, I was a teenager trying to learn everything there was to know about airplanes. Don would always offer me excellent explanations on anything from the simplest electrical circuit to the most complex turbine engine, and I think he played a significant role in my choice of education and career path. He made a profound impact on this community and touched many lives. He will be missed greatly.

Brad Gilmer
Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana

Sumisid

Postby Sumisid » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 am

These sad news reached me on my way from the Philippines to Switzerland during my stop in Singapore, exactly where I met Don together with Per a few years ago. Don, rest in peace! We all miss you!
Monika
Geht nicht gibt's nicht!

Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Don was always a rock on the forum; someone who had vast knowledge, endless patience, was never arrogant or condescending, and one who would avoid the forum wars. Don was also one of the pros in the industry who helped me, simply through his postings, get over my fear of flying I originally had when I first joined some years ago. Don you will be missed.

Joey Unangst
Lawrenceville, GA

supersean

Postby supersean » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:01 am

Don,

Many here have shared the same emotions I feel now hearing of your passing. You have shared your wisdom in the art and science of aviation and for this we all thank you. May you rest in peace.

To the family of Don, our heartfelt condolences and prayers are with you in these tough times

Sean Warren & family
Ft. Lauderdale FL

Edit: I just did a quick search and it appears that your birthday wish to me was your last post here on AD.info... thank you brother for the warm wishes.
proudly serving WTF comments since 2003

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:31 am

To Don's family,

I'm sure you loved Don very much, and that he loved you very much too.
I'm not so sure whether you are fully aware of the feelings he produced in others.
His integrity, knowledge, generosity, patience, and passion flowed free of vanity over the Internet to hundreds of people around the world who, without having ever seen his face even in pictures or heard his voice even over Skype, considered him a friend and an excellent person, and are now shocked down to tears with his loss and already missing him. I am one of them.

If he was just half the man he demonstrated to be around here, even when deeply sad for his loss, you must fell very proud and grateful for having had him with you.

To Don,
By all means, thank you.

Gabriel B.
Buenos Aires - Argentina

RadarContactLost

Postby RadarContactLost » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:25 am

I never had the chance to talk to Don but I figured from his postings he was from Flying Tigers so in a small way we had shared something in the past. His postings on Air Disaster were always insightful. He will be missed by people from all over the world.

Robert Grimm
Fort Worth, Texas

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:11 am

Don was one of the best, we all turned to him for his knowledge and a laugh, we are all poorer since his passing, may he rest in peace and condolences to his family at this difficult time.

Martin Hanley

Melbourne, Australia.
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:53 am

Today I have compiled all of the above messages into one single email which I have sent to Don's regular email address, hoping that somebody of his family will check the account soon.
space intentionally left blank

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:11 am

Today I received this email from Don's wife Carol:
Thank you Michael. I appreciate you sending the news of Don's passing on to those he was in contact with. The responses are precious to me and my family.
Regards,
Carol Moore
space intentionally left blank

Return to “Remembering Don Moore”