It's all down hill from here....

Aviators sit in the shade of their weatherbeaten, fabric-covered biplanes, exchange hangar talk and tell stories of their barnstorming days before they take to the air again and fly toward the setting sun ....

Moderators: Dummy Pilot, IntheShade

Dummy Pilot

It's all down hill from here....

Postby Dummy Pilot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:15 am

This title is doubly apt....

First I check in to find that I've been appointed a Moderator....I don't recall signing up for that job, but I'll endeavor to do my best. The least they coulda' done was given me top billing over ITS! ;). In any event, I'll be flying most of the next week so ITS is in charge of the entertainment.

If we open up enough Forum Topics, we can make every member a Moderator.

Second, and more apropriate for Hangar Talk, I went for my six month First Class Medical certificate today. For all these years, in the 'Limitations' section it said NONE. I was proud of that NONE. It doesn't say that anymore. It now says "Must have glasses available for near vision". The FAA doesn't even require me to wear them....just have them available. And truth be told, I've had them available in my Nav bag for some time now. It's gotten awful hard to read the newspaper...particularly in low light. I've had a bugger of a time reading those little taxiway letters on the Jepp charts after night landings, so I keep my little Dollar Store 'cheater' reading glasses handy. I've got two in my Nav bag and a half dozen in various rooms of the house.

Still, I've been able to pass the vision tests....until today. Funny thing is, my normal FAA doctor was on summer vacation and I had to go to a new one and I had a bad feeling. Both Far and Intermediate tests went great, but Near vision wasnt really close...and this Doc was practically helping me cheat. He kept prompting me to try the line again, and he almost seemed as sad as I was when I pulled the glasses out of my pocket and sudennly it was crystal clear. Doc says they 've got a name for it...Presbyopia. Says for anyone after 40, it's simply a matter of time. Everything else was great, although my runner's heart always makes the EKG test issue a warning with a rate of 44 beats per minute. Still, I'm going to miss having that NONE written on the certificate. Makes me feel like a lesser pilot for some reason.

On the upside, the FAA has apparently joined the computer age. You can now fill out the Med Cert application form 8500 online before you ever show up at the Doc's office. They then print your new certificate out when they're done. You have to register on their site to do it, but I thought it was better than spending the first 15 minutes in the office filling out forms.

Here's the linky https://medxpress.faa.gov/

Ancient Mariner

Re: It's all down hill from here....

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:23 am

Approaching Advanced Age is rough, DP. Based on your description of your eye sight, or lack thereof, I'd say you are about....................my age. Having a heart barely able to rev to 44 bpm at idle can't be a good thing, sounds like a big ship diesel engine. You might want to consider a tune-up.
And congratulation on the promotion. :mrgreen:
Per

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:09 pm

Good thing DP can't read this. What a pussy he is. Total loser. Thinks he's God's gift to aviation when he's just another middle-aged bus driver in the sky.

Oh, and I love you, man.
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

J

Postby J » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Good thing DP can't read this. What a pussy he is. Total loser. Thinks he's God's gift to aviation when he's just another middle-aged bus driver in the sky
Oh, and I love you, man.
One can only conclude that the above is an overt challenge to our newest moderator to demonstrate his banning reflex.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Still, I've been able to pass the vision tests....until today. Funny thing is, my normal FAA doctor was on summer vacation and I had to go to a new one and I had a bad feeling. Both Far and Intermediate tests went great, but Near vision wasnt really close...and this Doc was practically helping me cheat. He kept prompting me to try the line again, and he almost seemed as sad as I was when I pulled the glasses out of my pocket and sudennly it was crystal clear. Doc says they 've got a name for it...Presbyopia. Says for anyone after 40, it's simply a matter of time.
I can relate. I just got my new medical last month and definitely had to strain for the distance vision part. Squeaked by, but not by much. Went to PearleVision the next day to get checked out. The Doc there said my left eye could use about a +0.50 lens' worth of help. I had no idea how expensive prescription eyewear is. They quoted me nearly $300 and that's after my insurance discount.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

J

Postby J » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:45 pm

They quoted me nearly $300 and that's after my insurance discount.
I've been "priviledged" to wear glasses since 4th grade and can say that is very steep for glasses that don't have any special lenses. There seems to be a pretty heavy markup on fancy frames but I've seen decent looking ones with lenses in the $100 range.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I've been "priviledged" to wear glasses since 4th grade and can say that is very steep for glasses that don't have any special lenses. There seems to be a pretty heavy markup on fancy frames but I've seen decent looking ones with lenses in the $100 range.
That's what I thought, too. The lenses were supposedly polarized and "shatter-proof" or some such, and the frame was nothing special.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:33 am

That's what I thought, too. The lenses were supposedly polarized and "shatter-proof" or some such, and the frame was nothing special.
I thought polarized was a no-no for digital cockpit displays...

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:53 am

Yeah, well, you thought a lot of things, Bradley.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 am

Concur.

(I have terrible eyes.)

I like titanium frames, for a number of reasons; they're a bit spendy but very durable.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 am

While I know (and have re-checked that it is indeed a fact) that polarized sunglasses are prohibited for use in cockpits according to Danish regulations, I am not (yet) sure what the regulation is for the US. I have, however, come across this article (pdf) at the FAA website.

Polarizing lenses are great for many situations, but there may be undesirable side effects.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 am

While I used to wear polarized sunglasses for many years, I have begun disliking them.
They're a pain in the neck when it comes to reading flatscreen displays. And these things are everywhere - from the nav system in the car to the notebook screen if you want to do some work on your terrace.
"Pain in the neck" is meant literally - I have to tilt my head to get a crisp reading on these displays.
space intentionally left blank

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Second, and more apropriate for Hangar Talk, I went for my six month First Class Medical certificate today. /
Do they check your prostate?

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 am

Well at least I think.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Well at least I think.
More like waste brain cells (especially lately), but, hey, they're your brain cells.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Do they check your prostate?
They did. Yes, he has a prostate.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Return to “The Waldo Pepper Lounge”