Pilots, they know how to live the dream!

Aviators sit in the shade of their weatherbeaten, fabric-covered biplanes, exchange hangar talk and tell stories of their barnstorming days before they take to the air again and fly toward the setting sun ....

Moderators: Dummy Pilot, IntheShade

VectorForFood

Pilots, they know how to live the dream!

Postby VectorForFood » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:21 am

A story like this makes me regret not following a pilots career this day and age....
For several years, clusters of RVs were scattered around the airport's parking lots until LAX officials decided to consolidate them in Lot B. Now operating as an organized camp overseen by the airport, it has an unofficial mayor, a code of conduct and residency requirements, including background checks, regular vehicle inspections and proof of employment at an air carrier.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9617.story

A pilots shanty town, what a life.

Dummy Pilot

Re: Pilots, they know how to live the dream!

Postby Dummy Pilot » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:24 am

Apparently you aren't familiar with the term "Crash Pad". From what I can see, theses RVs beat the hell out of any crashpad I've ever slept in....and I'll be sleeping in my pad in Queens NY tomorrow night to start my trip on Wednesday.

For kicks, go to Craigslist in any major airline hub (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, etc...) and type in the keyword Crashpad

Ed

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:14 pm

A story like this makes me regret not following a pilot's career this day and age....
For several years, clusters of RVs were scattered around the airport's parking lots until LAX officials decided to consolidate them in Lot B. Now operating as an organized camp overseen by the airport, it has an unofficial mayor, a code of conduct and residency requirements, including background checks, regular vehicle inspections and proof of employment at an air carrier.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9617.story

A pilots' shanty town; what a life.
You sound kinda bitter Wonzos. We all make choices in life - someone who truly loves their job to the core will do whatever it takes.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 pm

Hello Flyboy? are you there?

This aggie lived in a camper for 6 weeks when he changed jobs.

It wasn't all that bad.

The thing that sucks for you guys isn't where you sleep- it's being away from home.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Hello Flyboy? are you there?
Can I help you?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

J

Postby J » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 pm

BBC chimes in with another story on the issue with a different slant.

"We end up with a lot of engine noise... there's the dirt factor... and of course the ever-present smell of burning rubber as they land."
"I was sitting with a friend of mine in his really nice RV [motor-home] over there last year and we were sitting there just talking and he says: 'Wow we're living the life! Two airline captains living in a parking lot!'"

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8186690.stm

Return to “The Waldo Pepper Lounge”