Ballistic chute shenanigans

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

ocelot

Ballistic chute shenanigans

Postby ocelot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:24 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-30992219

Although I wonder: if you're going in the drink anyway, perhaps doing it via the chute is more likely to let you use the aircraft again.

elaw

Re: Ballistic chute shenanigans

Postby elaw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Am I missing something? The published range of the SR-22 is about 1,000 SM, the shortest distance from California to Hawaii is about 2,000 SM. Based on those numbers, it was approximately 100% likely from the outset that the plane was going to turn into a boat.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:32 pm

...approximately 100% likely...
Just thinking out loud here...after landing, could one employ the chute and the trade winds and sail on in to Hawaii following the magenta line on the GPS?

I also suppose that cheap composites hold up better in salt water as contrasted with traditional metallic materials.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Am I missing something? The published range of the SR-22 is about 1,000 SM, the shortest distance from California to Hawaii is about 2,000 SM. Based on those numbers, it was approximately 100% likely from the outset that the plane was going to turn into a boat.
This was a ferry flight. Usually involves removing seats and installing temporary tanks in the cabin or baggage area, along with appropriate valves / tubing.

Only a small proportion of CAPS-deployed Cirri have been repaired even when they touch down on land, btw.

3WE

News: 11/7/2019

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Citrus drops onto house, with chute somewhat deployed, where it crashes, burns and the pilot does did dieded.

Fortunately, no one injured on ground.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Some days ago a small plane crashed in Brazil. Three people died (one in the plane, two on the ground), three passengers survived, parachute clearly visible in the pictures. "It's a Cirrus", said Not_Karlie. "it must have been used by one of the survivors", said the media.
https://www.clarin.com/mundo/cayo-avion ... hjKIm.html
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”