A very good landing

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: A very good landing

Postby 3WE » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:06 am

What is it doing now?

*it = a student pilot in a solo flight in a Cessna
Great find!

Arm-chair ass-hat speculation:

1. For the majority of his life, turning the steering wheel right = turn right. (It works marvelously in flight, too.)

OR

2. He has been listening to Evan’s disdain for the use of rudder: “I want to be an airline pilot, so I won’t use rudder...stall warning, full power, high performance climb attitude...don’t touch any CBs...”
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:00 am

There is a video that I can't find now of a Cessna porpoising during landing and the pilot deciding to go around. The plane yaws violently to the left and starts to climb with a huge sideslip while the persons on the ground yell "right rudder, right rudder!!!" (as if the pilot could hear them).
It is a little out of context now, but I just happened to find it by chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eopl5QLQ5zs

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:11 am

There is a video that I can't find now of a Cessna porpoising during landing and the pilot deciding to go around. The plane yaws violently to the left and starts to climb with a huge sideslip while the persons on the ground yell "right rudder, right rudder!!!" (as if the pilot could hear them).
It is a little out of context now, but I just happened to find it by chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eopl5QLQ5zs
Ok, that is not_a demonstration of genius airmanship , but neither is there a relentless pull up nor injured lights nor grass blades, and no observers nor jet photographers hitting the ditch...only a loss of style points...

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am

Yes, as I said it is out of context now. It was not intended to criticize this pilot in any way (which could be fairly done, by the way), but just to show the intensity of left yaw tendency in a 182 at full power and low speed.

Back then (when I wanted to post the video but could not find it) this conversation took place between elaw and me:

Me: Side note. After some 180 hours TT, I finally learned the hard way what the rudder pedals are really for when I did my first touch-and-go in a 182.
elaw: C'mon, man, you gotta give us more than that! :) So you're saying using the rudder was more important in the 182? I wonder why?

So I was answering to elaw, and the video was intended to be part of that answer.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Gabieee:

Yes...

So I was...
Yes...

So I was just hijacking the video for some worthless outsider pontification and Devil’s advocating.

If I did a 172 go around right now, I bet there will be a left “turn”, a delay and then some of those awful rudder reversals as my airmanship sucks.

182- I suspect I would be well educated (‘educated’ in the active tense, NOT the past tense).

I also appreciate the earlier context.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:58 pm

182- I suspect I would be well educated (‘educated’ in the active tense, NOT the past tense).
Hahah. I almost spilled my coffee when I read the part in parenthesis. (Literally: I was drinking coffee and started to laugh)

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”