US Air Plane down in the Hudson River in NYC

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: US Air Plane down in the Hudson River in NYC

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 am

...several days earlier, the same aircraft experienced a compressor stall in flight...
Stupid question: How in the hell do you get a compressor to stall in normal, everyday airline flight in a modern airplane?

(Emphasis on "flight" initial takeoff power-up or reverse thrust on the landing roll on the #2 engine of a 727 doesn't count!).
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:35 am

...several days earlier, the same aircraft experienced a compressor stall in flight...
Stupid question: How in the hell do you get a compressor to stall in normal, everyday airline flight in a modern airplane?

(Emphasis on "flight" initial takeoff power-up or reverse thrust on the landing roll on the #2 engine of a 727 doesn't count!).
Poor engine management
Dirty compressor
Wind shear across the intake

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Poor engine management
Dirty compressor
Ok, thanks Robert, but I'd love to hear a little more.

RH: Poor engine management

3WE: I can't say I've ever read of modern jet engines stalling in flight - especially with all the modern FADEC stuff that supposedly controls fuel flow to address jet engines quirks with this sort of thing. How do you trick the FADEC and cause a compressor stall?

RH: Dirty compressor

3WE: Never read about routine compressor washings or problems of dirty compressors. How do you get a compressor dirty? It's hard to belive that compressor blades would accumulate anything from normal levels of atmospheric dust. And modern engines seem to smoke so little, I can't imagine some sort of freak, smoky backwards flow from the combustion chambers with the engine shut down.......

RH: Wind shear across the intake

3WE: Again, you are zooming along at 200 kts, how do you get a goofy, crooked airflow that goes Y2K and stalls the compressor? Old engines and slow speeds and reverse thrust were a formula, but to just stall out when you are fat dumb and happy with a 200 kt wind blowing right up the intake- even if it gets ever-so-slightly off center????? Does this really happen from time to time with modern jet aircraft in normal flight???...or even in a 160 kt "full climb?"

Not trying to pick at your comments, but am asking that if this should be pretty incredibly rare, and what and how often would something like this happen.

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Volcanic ash = dirty compressor?

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Volcanic ash = dirty compressor?
Saw Cpt. Moody interviewed several times last week
space intentionally left blank

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

Postby Dmmoore » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:24 pm

Poor engine management
Dirty compressor
Ok, thanks Robert, but I'd love to hear a little more.

RH: Poor engine management

3WE: I can't say I've ever read of modern jet engines stalling in flight - especially with all the modern FADEC stuff that supposedly controls fuel flow to address jet engines quirks with this sort of thing. How do you trick the FADEC and cause a compressor stall?
A faulty speed or pressure sensor will do it. So will a leak in a sense line.
RH: Dirty compressor

3WE: Never read about routine compressor washings or problems of dirty compressors. How do you get a compressor dirty? It's hard to belive that compressor blades would accumulate anything from normal levels of atmospheric dust. And modern engines seem to smoke so little, I can't imagine some sort of freak, smoky backwards flow from the combustion chambers with the engine shut down.......
The blades are airfoils. The air contains dust. Dust collects on the concave side of the compressor blade. Collect enough dust, you get dirt. The engines on the 727 (JT8's) were washed on a calendar schedule (18 months) the GE CF6 the P&W JT9 and 4000 are washed when engine performance dictates.
RH: Wind shear across the intake

3WE: Again, you are zooming along at 200 kts, how do you get a goofy, crooked airflow that goes Y2K and stalls the compressor? Old engines and slow speeds and reverse thrust were a formula, but to just stall out when you are fat dumb and happy with a 200 kt wind blowing right up the intake- even if it gets ever-so-slightly off center????? Does this really happen from time to time with modern jet aircraft in normal flight???...or even in a 160 kt "full climb?"

Not trying to pick at your comments, but am asking that if this should be pretty incredibly rare, and what and how often would something like this happen.
RH simply gave you a cause for a stall, you didn't supply a condition.

Modern engines do not stall as often as was the case of the first and second generation engines but compressor stalls though less prevalent still are events we deal with. Older P&W engines (JT3/J57 through JT9) were built to be stall tolerant. GE engines were not. A stall tolerant engine is heavier and less fuel efficient than a similar engine with a better stall margin.

Why build a stall tolerant engine vs one with a better stall margin? $$$$$$$$$.
Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:01 pm

3WE, I see that Don has answered all your questions perfectly and as he rightly pointed out, you asked how it could happen without specifying the conditions. Seeing as I have no idea what he was up to at the time of the comp stalling I could only give the general reasons.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:14 pm

3WE, I see that Don has answered all your questions perfectly and as he rightly pointed out, you asked how it could happen without specifying the conditions. Seeing as I have no idea what he was up to at the time of the comp stalling I could only give the general reasons.
Thanks to both.

It's a tough subject- given that jet engines beat the heck out of piston engines in reliability, dirty blades, and don't amount to "very often".

Now, I DID specify the conditions- normal flight as opposed to slow speed operations with unusual airflow.....something which probably causes a very significant reduction in how often a stall occurs.

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Now, I DID specify the conditions- normal flight as opposed to slow speed operations with unusual airflow.....something which probably causes a very significant reduction in how often a stall occurs.
Which is where poor engine management comes in. By that I mean leaks, wear, electrical or software problems, not the guy on the other end of the throttle.

andrasz

Postby andrasz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:24 am

Would not comment on the causes, those who are more knowledgable have answered above. However did have first hand access to stats at an airline I've been with, with 2 million+ hours of CFM 56 operations (including the on-wing record holder with 40000+ hours). In the past 14 years since the CFM was introduced in the fleet, we NEVER had a compressor stall incident on this engine type. The commonest engine related incidents (maybe 1-2 per year) were commanded reduction to idle due to various sensor failures. As far as I recall, no more than 2 in-flight shutdowns on the whole fleet in the full period.

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm not so sure whether I should find this one amusing or not:

http://www.addictinggames.com/heroonthehudson.html
space intentionally left blank

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Very nice....... I crashed a couple of times before being the hero........ hey, even ITS could be a hero now!!!! :clap:
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

ZilogMan

Postby ZilogMan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:17 pm

Ha, got it at the first try - I know nothing 'bout flying = Pure Beginner's Luck
Don, Say Hi to Amelia Earhart for us...

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 pm

I got it on the second attempt, but that is a luxury that Sulley didn't have.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 am

Enough is enough. Lets stop ignoring the elephant in the room in this incident.
We all know who the real hero of the Hudson is...

:clap:
Airbus
:clap:

Like Capt Sullen Hamburger said "I just did my job and what ever the aircraft told me..'
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 am

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009 ... t_cra.html

Any idea where the fuselage was being taken???
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:25 am

To a ticker-Tape parade down 5th Avenue?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:43 am

I understand Harrison, New Jersey, which is close to Newark (the city, not the airport).

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Nice to see the crew honored before the Superbowl. I was in a crowded bar and the patrons even applauded when they came on the screen. It was good to see that the American attention span is more than a few seconds. And BTW - is Faith Hill hot or what?

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Not quite sure what to make of this. Part of me wants to go with the headline: "US Airways Thinks Cheap, Misses Golden Opportunity". The other part wants to go with, "Whining Survivors: America at its Finest".

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01302009/ne ... 152720.htm
We crash-landed in the Hudson River - but all we got were these lousy upgrades!

US Airways sent a raft of "frigid" letters to the 150 passengers of miracle Flight 1549 (above) saying their death-defying ordeal has earned them top customer status - but for just one year, The Post has learned. Some who were on the plane - brought down by a flock of geese after takeoff from La Guardia Airport on Jan. 15 - said the temporary tease of first-class perks is for the birds.

"I think if you survive a plane crash, being upgraded permanently is a good gesture too," said Fred Berretta, 41, of Charlotte, NC, where the Airbus A320 was headed.

Manhattanite Tess Sosa, who escaped the sinking plane with her husband and two small children, thought the airline was too focused on self-congratulations - and "they want to exonerate themselves as much as they can."

"They are happy they had such amazing results, and they applaud themselves, and then give us a small token?" she said. "That's how I take it."
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

aardvark2zz

Postby aardvark2zz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:13 pm

Yes. Does that answer your question ? :D Or c below.
Submarine museum, or besides submarine at Intrepid museum.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Capt. Clarence Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:19 pm

I understand Harrison, New Jersey, which is close to Newark (the city, not the airport).
For further investigation or to be scrapped???
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:45 pm

maybe , and then maybe.
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:38 am

For the investigation, which I would think would last many months or longer. Scrapped eventually ? Maybe, but maybe the NTSB will keep it for their training academy near Dulles. It also wouldn't totally surprise me now to see such a famous airframe turn up at some museum.

Giles

Postby Giles » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 pm

The crew will be on Larry King Feb 9th. 9pm EST

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”