Southwest Convertible.....

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: Southwest Convertible.....

Postby 3WE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:41 pm

See, Putt4Par, that's why I don't answer stuff anymore. I end up arguing with two-bit bagchuckers who failed as a moderator about what's deep and what's not so deep. Not worth it, man, just not worth it, even for someone who makes as little as I do.
Similar, but different...the unwinnable argument...although, I'm sort of leaning in your direction this time...

This parlor talker would guess that the -300 procedure calls for a good prompt descent to more breathable air, but not in such a way to cause undue stress on the aircraft whereas the NG calls for a good prompt descent to more breathable air, but not in such a way to cause undue stress on the aircraft.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:08 pm

This parlor talker would guess that the -300 procedure calls for a good prompt descent to more breathable air, but not in such a way to cause undue stress on the aircraft whereas the NG calls for a good prompt descent to more breathable air, but not in such a way to cause undue stress on the aircraft.
Good guess, 3BS. Oddly enough, the procedure is surprisingly similar for quite a few other aircraft.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 am

Good guess, 3BS. Oddly enough, the procedure is surprisingly similar for quite a few other aircraft.
Amazing
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:42 am

I'd also guess that all emergency descents due to loss of cabin pressure would be similar regardless oft he type and would be more or less like:
First and most critical: put masks, set O2 to 100%, cockpit communication establish.
Second: Initiate a minimum-time descent to a breathable altitude, if that altitude is unsafely low (ex: mountains), the lowest safe altitude.
Third: Advise ATC.
Fourth: Level off at the target altitude, remove O2 if low enough.

After reading the link that FB offered, I've found that what's described there pretty much matches the above, but I have one doubt.
Where is the instruction to put masks and let O2 flow???? (in fact, the whole "first and most critical" above is missing)
Maybe it's in a separate "loss of cabin pressure" procedure, that would end with "emergency descent: initiate", thus being the emergency descent procedure a continuation of the loss of cabin pressure procedure?
It called my attention that, however, the instructions to remove the masks and turn off the O2 are there.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 am

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Marty - you have acheived something that I never thought I would ever see. 3BS and Gabriel finding an FB post so obviously correct and dismissing the minutae thrown in by a trolling parlour talker. Truly astounding.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:18 am

Marty - you have acheived something that I never thought I would ever see. 3BS and Gabriel finding an FB post so obviously correct and dismissing the minutae thrown in by a trolling parlour talker. Truly astounding.
Im amazed myself.
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:16 am

I'm not sure what the hell to do now either. Recently Hilditch agreed with me as well.

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm not sure what the hell to do now either. Recently Hilditch agreed with me as well.
All it needs now is for me to tell you that the BA LHR lawnmower was out of gas... ;)

but we'll keep that on ice for now :twisted:

J

Postby J » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Cheap Aluminium Assembly?
Manufacturing Issues Suspected in Southwest Jet Rupture
Excerpt:
Federal Aviation Administration chief Randy Babbitt previously suggested that production issues were under heightened scrutiny. He told an industry conference in Miami earlier this month that the agency, among other things, was looking into "manufacturing techniques" along with Boeing. Mr. Babbitt said agency experts were examining existing aging-aircraft inspection rules and seeking to determine "are we looking at the right things?"
Boeing officials have said that the particular fuselage design on the affected airplanes was changed when a new version of the model was introduced in 1993. The so-called 737 "Next Generation" is the type still being built today and Boeing has delivered more than 3,500 of those, according to company data.
The planes under scrutiny feature a certain type of "lap joint" -- the area where Boeing and government investigators have said the structural cracks originated -- and surrounding strengtheners designed to prevent cracks from growing.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:54 pm

See, Putt4Par, that's why I don't answer stuff anymore. I end up arguing with two-bit bagchuckers who failed as a moderator about what's deep and what's not so deep. Not worth it, man, just not worth it, even for someone who makes as little as I do.
All I wanted to know what the general procedure for these type of emergencies. Your first post and link answered my question, thank you.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:24 pm

All I wanted to know what the general procedure for these type of emergencies. Your first post and link answered my question, thank you.
Glad to help.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”