MD 83 down in Nigeria

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Rabbi O'Genius

MD 83 down in Nigeria

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Came down in Lagos, 150+ passengers, no survivors reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18316130
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Gabriel

Re: MD 83 down in Nigeria

Postby Gabriel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:15 am

There are unconfirmed reports of several ground fatalities.
There are also rumors of a dual engine failure. The accident happened shortly after take-off.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:57 pm

LN1783, originally delivered to Alaska Airlines on 13 Nov 1990. It was showing about 57k hours and 30k flights. There's a possibility I flew on that airplane back in the day.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Ed

Postby Ed » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 pm

LN1783, originally delivered to Alaska Airlines on 13 Nov 1990. It was showing about 57k hours and 30k flights. There's a possibility I flew on that airplane back in the day.
Would not a quick check of your log book, where you wrote down tail numbers, livery colours and glued pictures of the meals served, give you a more accurate answer?

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I think it flew over my house back in the day.
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Would not a quick check of your log book, where you wrote down tail numbers, livery colours and glued pictures of the meals served, give you a more accurate answer?
The reviled Mrs. Verbal threw all that shit in recycle.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:39 am

A plane crashes and AD.info is discussing liveries, and flight reports?

What's wrong with this picture?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Fortunately, the lawyers are all over this one.
Lawsuit filed in US over Nigerian plane crash
Associated Press 06/07/2012
Copyright 2012. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

The husband of a Nigerian woman who died in the crash of a Nigerian airliner that killed 153 people has filed a lawsuit in the U.S. blaming those who designed and manufactured the plane for the accident.

Attorney Gary Robb filed the lawsuit Thursday in federal court in Chicago for David Chukwunonso Allison. The lawsuit says Allison's wife, Joy Chiedozie Allison, was on the Dana Air MD-83 that crashed in Nigeria on Sunday.

The suit names Chicago-based Boeing Co., which bought the McDonnell-Douglas manufacturer of the plane. It also names Connecticut-based engine-maker Pratt & Whitney.

Robb says reports of engine failure point the finger of blame at the companies.

Pratt & Whitney planned to release a statement later Thursday. Messages left for a Boeing spokesman weren't immediately returned.

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:39 am

Robb is an idiot!
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 am

Aircraft and aircraft components are man made.
God(s) (take your pick of preferred deity) made man.
Religious establishments on Earth are the representatives of god(s).
Some churches have loads of cash, why no sue them, as obviously god(s) are ultimately responsible for any and everything.
At least it makes the same amount of sense.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Ed

Postby Ed » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:01 pm

The husband of a Nigerian woman who died in the crash of a Nigerian airliner that killed 153 people has filed a lawsuit in the U.S. blaming those who designed and manufactured the plane for the accident.

Attorney Gary Robb filed the lawsuit Thursday in federal court in Chicago for David Chukwunonso Allison. The lawsuit says Allison's wife, Joy Chiedozie Allison, was on the Dana Air MD-83 that crashed in Nigeria on Sunday.

The suit names Chicago-based Boeing Co., which bought the McDonnell-Douglas manufacturer of the plane. It also names Connecticut-based engine-maker Pratt & Whitney.

Pratt & Whitney planned to release a statement later Thursday. Messages left for a Boeing spokesman weren't immediately returned.
Dear Beloved,

How are you?

My name is Dr. Prof. Chunkawanka, a wealthy gold merchant and husband for Mrs. Chunkawanka from Nigeria, who die in suspicious plane crash by evil US aircraft manufacturer. I check with doctor and found I have only 6 month to live due to cancer of lever. I consult bible and it instructs me to assist with poor. I find your name on internet and would like to transfer you the sum of fifty two million US dollars only ($54,000,000 US) into you back account to do God's work in Nigeria and abroad. You also become probate for large (multi-billion dollar) settlement from aircraft manufacturer. I expect for you to keep 10% as administration fee and use rest to make orphanages and to donate to Jet Pedo's dot net so that web owner may continue to lead glorious Godly lifestyle with girlfriend Lafawnda.

Please contact me with bank account information and name of nearest church.

Bless you!
Dr. Prof. Chunkawanka

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Ne*d #ew Ke;bo[rd no%, th+nks E? :evil:
P<r

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Dear Beloved,

How are you?

My name is Dr. Prof. Chunkawanka, a wealthy gold merchant and husband for Mrs. Chunkawanka from Nigeria, who die in suspicious plane crash by evil US aircraft manufacturer. I check with doctor and found I have only 6 month to live due to cancer of lever. I consult bible and it instructs me to assist with poor. I find your name on internet and would like to transfer you the sum of fifty two million US dollars only ($54,000,000 US) into you back account to do God's work in Nigeria and abroad. You also become probate for large (multi-billion dollar) settlement from aircraft manufacturer. I expect for you to keep 10% as administration fee and use rest to make orphanages and to donate to Jet Pedo's dot net so that web owner may continue to lead glorious Godly lifestyle with girlfriend Lafawnda.

Bless you!
Dr. Prof. Chunkawanka

Wasn't this the same guy who tried the Calutron scam?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Dear Beloved,

How are you?

Bless you!
Dr. Prof. Chunkawanka

Brill-yunt!

How can anybody not love Ed?
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:44 pm

How can anybody not love Ed?
Totally. I have the man love for Ed.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:50 pm

The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) retained about 31 minutes of the flight and starts about 1515 [the plane was already at cruise] at which time the captain and first officer were in a discussion of a nonnormal condition regarding the correlation between the engine throttle setting and an engine power indication3.
However, they did not voice concerns then that the condition would affect the continuation of the flight. The flight crew continued to monitor the condition and became increasingly concerned as the flight transition through the initial descent from cruise altitude at 1522 and the subsequent approach phase.
DAN 992 reported passing through 18,100 and 7,700 ft, respectively, at 1530 and 1540 hours. After receiving a series of heading and altitude assignments from the controller, DAN 992 was issued the final heading to intercept the final approach course for runway 18R.
During the period of 1537 and 15:41 the flight crew engaged in pre-landing tasks including deployment of the slats, and extension of the flaps and landing gear. At 15:41:16 the first officer (FO) inquired, "both engines coming up?" and the captain (Capt) replied “negative.” The
flight crew subsequently discussed and agreed to declare an emergency. At 1542:10, DANA 992 radioed an emergency distress call indicating "dual engine failure . . . negative response from throttle."
At 1542:35, the flight crew lowered the flaps further and continued with the approach and discussed landing alternatively on runway 18L. At 1542:45, the Capt
reported the runway in sight and instructed the FO to raise the flaps up and 4 seconds later to raise the landing gear.
At 1543:27 hours, the Capt informed the FO "we just lost everything, we lost an engine. I lost both engines". During the next 25 seconds until the end of the CVR recording, the flight crew was attempting to restart the engines.
Read the full preliminary report at
http://www.aib.gov.ng/reports/Interim%2 ... prelim.pdf

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”