787 inflight structural breakup in 3....2....1....

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Dummy Pilot

787 inflight structural breakup in 3....2....1....

Postby Dummy Pilot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Who built the electrical system on this thing?
BOSTON —

Heavy smoke was reported in the cargo area of a plane that had just arrived from Japan at Logan Airport on Monday morning.

The smoke was spotted by a mechanic coming from the cargo area of a Japan Airlines Boeing 787, which arrived at Logan just after 10 a.m. on Monday, according to Boston fire.

The fire, which happened while the aircraft was parked at a Terminal E gate, is believed to be electrical, according to Boston fire.

The area where the smoke was spotted is where batteries used to power auxiliary avionics are housed. That system is activated after the aircraft's main power is shut down.

No passengers were on board at the time.

One Massport firefighter was injured during the incident, but the extent of the injuries was not immediately known, according to Richard Walsh of Massport.

The aircraft had arrived from Japan at 10:06 a.m. with 184 passengers and crew on board, and was scheduled to return to Tokyo at noon. That flight, Japan Air flight 7, has been canceled.

The 787 has had three reported problems with the plane’s electrical system since it went into service last year, according to KING.com.

The failure of electrical generators was reported on planes belong to Qatar Airways and United Airlines

WCVB TV Boston....some useless video/photos

flyboy2548m

Re: 787 inflight structural breakup in 3....2....1....

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Now that I've been doing some United flying as well, I've been seeing the 787 regularly at ORD and DEN. After one pulled into a gate at DEN, I saw the crew come off. Between the two of them, the pilots looked over 300 years old.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 pm

...the pilots looked over 300 years old.
The same age as the average American Airlines flight attendant.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Found this at http://www.theseinternets.com:
Mr. Walsh added that the auxiliary power unit battery, which is housed in a small compartment underneath the floor of the Dreamliner cabin known as the aft electrical equipment bay, exploded after crews believed the fire was extinguished. One firefighter suffered minor injuries after the use of a fire suppressant, he added.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

A fake doctor on psychotropics, maybe?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Mr. Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, emigrated to the USoA late 70'ies when UK car manufacturing went down the drain.
Per

ZilogMan

Postby ZilogMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Not me!
Don, Say Hi to Amelia Earhart for us...

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:05 am

Now that I've been doing some United flying as well, I've been seeing the 787 regularly at ORD and DEN. After one pulled into a gate at DEN, I saw the crew come off. Between the two of them, the pilots looked over 300 years old.
If you are lucky you will have that kind of senority, somewhere, someday!!!
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 am

Not Airbus!!!
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 am

When will 787's give up smoking?
Its bad for Boeing's health

2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

reubee

Postby reubee » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 am

WCVB TV Boston....some useless video/photos
The supplier with the lowest priced tender

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm

If you are lucky you will have that kind of seniority, somewhere, someday!!!
I doubt it, Glenn. For one thing, I'm already 37, and my "sell-by" date is fast approaching, while I'm still swinging gear at a regional. Unless I get hired by a major in the next three years (a very big if), I don't see a major happening for me at all, they don't like to hire guys over 40, and I don't blame them. If my previous airline taught me anything, it's to plan only for the absolute worst, which is what I'm doing now. Priority number one now is to pay off my house before I'm 50, so I can exit the industry gracefully by 55 and not be around only to be an obstacle in somebody else's way.

Between age 65 and the recession of 2008-2010, the career prospects of people in my age/seniority group took a very major hit. It's always funny to hear the dinosaurs says "well, you got five more years at the top, too". They don't understand that's not the case. THEY got five more years at the top, we got five more years of stagnation and furloughs, which means many of us won't get anywhere near the top at all. The VERY best I see happening in my case is either a regional left seat which will last until the regional in question gets decimated like my last one or, by some God's miracle, mainline narrowbody right seat. I'm not blaming anyone, I started flight school late, it is what it is.

Oh well, still better than working for a living.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:33 pm

If you are lucky you will have that kind of seniority, somewhere, someday!!!
I doubt it, Glenn. For one thing, I'm already 37, and my "sell-by" date is fast approaching, while I'm still swinging gear at a regional. Unless I get hired by a major in the next three years (a very big if), I don't see a major happening for me at all, they don't like to hire guys over 40, and I don't blame them. If my previous airline taught me anything, it's to plan only for the absolute worst, which is what I'm doing now. Priority number one now is to pay off my house before I'm 50, so I can exit the industry gracefully by 55 and not be around only to be an obstacle in somebody else's way.

Between age 65 and the recession of 2008-2010, the career prospects of people in my age/seniority group took a very major hit. It's always funny to hear the dinosaurs says "well, you got five more years at the top, too". They don't understand that's not the case. THEY got five more years at the top, we got five more years of stagnation and furloughs, which means many of us won't get anywhere near the top at all. The VERY best I see happening in my case is either a regional left seat which will last until the regional in question gets decimated like my last one or, by some God's miracle, mainline narrowbody right seat. I'm not blaming anyone, I started flight school late, it is what it is.

Oh well, still better than working for a living.
Just curious, Ike and with no knowledge of the industry. Have you considered jobs abroad, Asia, ME or wherever they require pilots. I understand that you are still single? What's holding you back, ratings?
Per

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 pm

What's holding you back, ratings?

Interpol?

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Between age 65 and the recession of 2008-2010, the career prospects of people in my age/seniority group took a very major hit. It's always funny to hear the dinosaurs says "well, you got five more years at the top, too". They don't understand that's not the case. THEY got five more years at the top, we got five more years of stagnation and furloughs, which means many of us won't get anywhere near the top at all. The VERY best I see happening in my case is either a regional left seat which will last until the regional in question gets decimated like my last one or, by some God's miracle, mainline narrowbody right seat.
As I understand (just from reading aviation newsletters), the pilots that benefited from the age 65 measure are starting to retire right now, so all those who didn't retire in the last 5 years will have to retire in the next 5 years. There is also a much lower flow of military pilots and new civil pilots, and the new ATP and flight hours requirements (Colgan aftermath), but I believe that these 3 factors will impact more at the bottom of the line (inability to find newhires) than in the middle of it. It is expected a great shortage of pilots in the next years (especially at the bottom). But yes, a great shortage of pilots was expected many times before and it never was as great as advertised. Those in the know say that this time it's for real.

By the way, if the miracle happens and you get a left seat in a small-end mainline narrowbody in a major, don't you think that there is a chance that eventually you'll get to either a left seat on that type or a right seat in a bigger plane?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Just curious, Ike and with no knowledge of the industry. Have you considered jobs abroad, Asia, ME or wherever they require pilots. I understand that you are still single? What's holding you back, ratings?
Per
I have considered the Middle East. The guy that got me my Qatar interview (to which I didn't go) was about to upgrade to Captain on the A330 this year. He got so fed up with the ragheads that he decided to join my current airline behind me. Did I mention he is Pakistani and Muslim and still he couldn't stand it anymore?

Hope that answers your question.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 pm

By the way, if the miracle happens and you get a left seat in a small-end mainline narrowbody in a major, don't you think that there is a chance that eventually you'll get to either a left seat on that type or a right seat in a bigger plane?
That would be one huge miracle. A small one would be me getting into a major at all.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

Per
I have considered the Middle East. The guy that got me my Qatar interview (to which I didn't go) was about to upgrade to Captain on the A330 this year. He got so fed up with the ragheads that he decided to join my current airline behind me. Did I mention he is Pakistani and Muslim and still he couldn't stand it anymore?

I should not laugh- but I can visualize this...

A non-pilot with his spreadsheet and black and white, heirarchical-process mindset telling the pilot way too much on how to fly the plane...and being very rigid, and not listening at all to what the pilot had to say...

It's been recently that I understood how the American Top 40 radio program worked- Now, at position 23 this week up from position 37 last week, the third, all female disco act to have reached the top 30...this is Kasey....
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:39 am

Per

I see your point, it's not all about the money.
Per

J

Postby J » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Per
Per
Maybe he didn't like Airbus.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Per
Per
Maybe he didn't like Airbus.
He likes flying.
"Oh well, still better than working for a living."
Per

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 pm

At last some in the States has manned up and finally recognised the danger the 787 is before it kills people.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0e0a35c0-5be9 ... z2HhCqIhzS

US regulators have ordered a wide-ranging review of Boeing’s flagship 787 Dreamliner after a spate of incidents including a battery fire that have prompted questions about the passenger jet’s safety.
The review will be carried out by the Federal Aviation Administration
This aircraft is a psychopath.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Cracks appeared Friday in the cockpit window of a 787 Dreamliner heading from Tokyo to Matsuyama, in southern Japan.... ...this was the third time that cracks had appeared in the windshield of one of the 17 787s operated by A.N.A.; the other two incidents happened last year.

In-flight structural break-up within eighteen months.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:13 am

In-flight structural break-up within eighteen months.
Counting from now or from the first time that you've said it... some eighteen months back.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 am

Counting from now or from the first time that you've said it... some eighteen months back.
Yes.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”