AVIATION SAFETY DRAMA IN FLYOVER USA!!!!!

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

AVIATION SAFETY DRAMA IN FLYOVER USA!!!!!

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Whoops! And the runway as about 1/2 the length of the one they thought they were landing on :shock: There are some photos of a nosewheel deep in the departure end piano keys.

Do we have bad safety trends at SWA/WN?

I blame Atrude777
Southwest Airlines flight lands at wrong Mo. airport

Published January 13, 2014Associated Press

BRANSON, Mo. – A Southwest Airlines flight that was scheduled to arrive Sunday night at Branson Airport in southwest Missouri instead landed at an airport 7 miles north -- with a runway half the size of the intended destination.

Southwest Airlines Flight 4013, carrying 124 passengers and five crew members, was scheduled to go from Chicago's Midway International Airport to Branson Airport, airline spokesman Brad Hawkins said in a statement late Sunday. But the Boeing 737-700 landed about 7 miles northeast at Taney County Airport, which is also known as M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport.
Hawkins did not have information on why the plane went to the wrong airport. Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Tony Molinaro says the agency is investigating the incident.
"The landing was uneventful, and all customers and crew are safe," Hawkins said.
It's the second time in less than two months that a large jet has landed at the wrong airport. In November, a Boeing 747 that was supposed to deliver parts to McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kan., landed 9 miles north at Col. James Jabara Airport. That plane was flown by a two-person crew and had no passengers.
The website for M. Graham Clark Airport says its longest runway is 3,738 feet. Branson Airport's website says its runway is 7,140 feet long.
Flight tracking website Flightaware.com said the Southwest flight landed at 6:11 p.m. Sunday. It was partly cloudy and in the high 50s in Branson at that time.
"Our ground crew from the Branson airport arrived at the airport to take care of our customers and their baggage," Hawkins said.
Flight 4013 had been scheduled to go from Branson to Dallas' Love Field. Hawkins said a plane was flown in specifically to Branson Airport around 10 p.m. to take the passengers and crew to Dallas, which flightaware.com showed landed at 11:42 p.m.
Hawkins said the aircraft at M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport is able to take off on the smaller runway, and Southwest expects to fly it out "as early as tomorrow morning."
The Taney County Sheriff's Office referred all calls to M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport. Messages left for comment from M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport were not immediately returned.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Re: AVIATION SAFETY DRAMA IN FLYOVER USA!!!!!

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:48 pm

After doing a little research, this gets more interesting...

The runway they landed on has about 3000 feet avaialable when you take out the displaced thresholds. Not saying you can't land a 737 on that but 1) it is a bit spectacular and 2) I'm thinking there's a small miracle that they must have somehow landed short and figured out really early on that they were in the wrong place since they were able to do 'extreme' braking and not run off the end.

I'm thinking this really is a NEAR TOTAL DISASTER!!!

On the humorous side, this airport is much more intimate to the town of Branson, MO...for all we know, someone on board had a tight appointment to see a biblical-based music show, so the crew decided to do everyone a favor and land at a much more conveinient location!

What can you say, but I LUV that Southwest Spirit!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Update: All of these airports are in very hilly terrain and according to reports the plane stopped ~40 feet short of a pretty significant "cliff" or "dropoff". :shock:
Yeah, a little pathetic to be talking to myself with three consecutive posts, but the facts are relevant, and the forum traffic is just as pathetic as my posting :D I expect someone to chime in by weeks end.

capslock

Postby capslock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 pm

, someone on board had a tight appointment to see a biblical-based music show, so the crew decided to do everyone a favor and land at a much more conveinient location!

What can you say, but I LUV that Southwest Spirit!
They nearly dispatched him to his maker...

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:35 pm

As I continue to discuss this with caps, there's a comment with some interesting semantics:

In some ways, they flew past the right airport to land at the wrong one.

It would appear that the wind favored the NW runways with the correct airport being located SSE of the wrong one.

Coming from Chicago- and assuming the arrival isn't overly exotic, you'd be turning from a "base leg" towards final for the wrong airport, with the right airport dead ahead.

I have a personal light plane experience of how at night, in a sea of darkness, you have white and green beacons all over and choosing the right one is a challenge.

Of course, with a nice big moving map/mageta line, and SOP's where you dial up an ILS/LOC in the vast majority of cases- you shouldn't get too far "off course".

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:02 pm

They probably lined up on Dolly Parton's twin beacons.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Is that the new system they call "synthetic vision"?

3WE

FINAL REPORT HAS BEEN ISSUED!

Postby 3WE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Why has no one figured this out yet?!?!?!

Southwest does not use ORD, it uses Midway.
Southwest does not use DFW, it uses Love.
Southwest does not use IAH, it uses Hobby.

So obviously the pilots were thinking, no, we do not use the new mega airport, we use the smaller, older airport closer to downtown!

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 pm

I blame Sir Richard.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”