Another Toilet-Related Hazard

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

J

Another Toilet-Related Hazard

Postby J » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:42 pm

A Delta Airlines flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas made an emergency landing in Vegas Thursday, when the pilot was locked out of the cockpit after taking a bathroom break.

The pilot addressed the passengers, saying, “I have some bad news,” passenger Jonathan Thalacker told ABC News. “I had to go to the bathroom, and when I came back out, I got locked out of the cockpit, the door is jammed.”
The first officer took over the controls and landed the plane. The MD-90 aircraft [Note, apparently not Dummy Pilot] was not damaged, and none of the 168 passengers onboard were injured. The plane landed at 12:23 p.m., just 13 minutes after the emergency was declared, reports the Associated Press.

The plane had to be towed from the runway to the gate, because the co-pilot did not have access to the taxiing controls from his seat, passenger Jesse Dougherty told ABC News. But the plane still pulled into its regular gate at McCarran International Airport on time, at about 12:30 p.m.

Once on the ground, everyone on the aircraft started applauding, hollering, and calling out, “Thank God,” said Thalacker.

Airport spokeswoman Christine Crews told ABC that a door malfunctioned, it was an “unusual landing,” and the whole incident was taken very seriously.

Delta spokeswoman Lindsay McDuff said Delta crews are trained for these situations, and a commercial aircraft can be landed safefly with just one pilot. She said the doors are being studied by maintenance technicians.

A passenger told ABC that the maintenance crew found a piece of string that kept the door from opening, but that information has not been confirmed by officials.

http://www.boston.com/travel/2015/01/30 ... story.html

3WE

Re: Another Toilet-Related Hazard

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:29 am

Good Lord, the danger here is that the poor FO may still be trapped in the cockpit?!?!?!?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:43 pm

I think it's time to ban bathroom breaks for the pilots and force them to wear diapers.
I'm sure Dummy will agree :ugeek: .
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:09 pm

I've actually had a few troubles with the -90 doors (no problems with the -88s). This includes one where after arriving at the gate we spent a good 5 minutes trying to get ourselves out.....thank god it wasn't on the last leg of a 4 day or I would have evacuated out the window.

They have very quickly sent out a bulletin saying that they have identified the issue and there will be an update on the VOL 1 preflight procedure and VOL 2 systems description.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:03 am

Delta spokeswoman Lindsay McDuff said Delta crews are trained for these situations
Potty training?
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:37 pm

I've been trying to think of bad jokes regarding FCOM and QRH and procedures and fundamental basics and the specific procedural differences between an MD-88 and and MD-90, and what to check for before you pull up relentlessly on your zipper, or with regard to the operation of the TP roller, and modern facilities with auto-flush, vs. less fancy manual flush, and specifics regarding round vs. flat interfaces and whether it should be left up or down...

...I would have to say that my limited experience with the C-172M and on-board restrooms limits my ability to comment, and also say that MSFS does not really simulate things well enough for me to operate Dummy's equipment in case of emergency.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:10 am

3WE:
well enough for me to operate Dummy's equipment
I bet that makes DP happy.
Per

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:25 pm

3WE:
well enough for me to operate Dummy's equipment