Not_Luxair Dash 8 belly scraping, 09/30/2015

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Not_Luxair Dash 8 belly scraping, 09/30/2015

Postby 3WE » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 am

But some interesting similarities and differences.

https://www.facebook.com/SilviaSaintOff ... 643130333/

Some bad decisions, but it would appear the dreaded relentless pull up was avoided, with what seems like some slow, wallowing, higher-AOA flight taking place...

Interesting stuff can happen without a FBW computer: Gear up landings, seemingly stupid decisions to go around, yet no 30,000 ft stall.

I guess it's Cowboy Airmanship at it's finest.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Not_Luxair Dash 8 belly scraping, 09/30/2015

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:34 am

That's a creative way to save hours of sanding.

Reminds me of Malév's Tu-154...
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:07 pm

What do you expect from a Captain named Trenky?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:01 pm

What do you expect from a Captain named Trenky?
Trenky is THE HERO of the story!!

Or the other hero... Malév's crew are also HEROES for avoiding the total air disaster they themselves initiated.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Interesting: Dual wingtip strike on landing:
the aircraft went around after runway contact advising tower that no assistance was needed and they just wanted to remain in the traffic pattern for another approach. The aircraft was cleared for a left hand pattern to runway 30L and landed safely on runway 30L.

The FAA reported the aircraft received minor damage when it struck the wing tips (plural!) onto the runway surface.
AVH linky.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Interesting: Dual wingtip strike on landing:
the aircraft went around after runway contact advising tower that no assistance was needed and they just wanted to remain in the traffic pattern for another approach. The aircraft was cleared for a left hand pattern to runway 30L and landed safely on runway 30L.

The FAA reported the aircraft received minor damage when it struck the wing tips (plural!) onto the runway surface.
AVH linky.
Wait a sec...this is in 3BS's back yard.

And guess what- I have parlour talk to contribute: Most importantly: my back yard (and the neighbor's back yard) includes a several BIG downed limbs. It has been very windy in Flyover! We're talking 4" and 8" diameter stuff- stimulated by wet snow and they were unhealthy limbs.

In the Av-Herald parlour talk section- I note discussion of the crosswind and the fact that we have a single alternate "crosswind" runway (6-24) that might have aligned better with the winds.

Further research would be needed into why they did not use this runway. They avoid using this runway (since they have 3 parallel (12-30) runways that work better for heavy traffic*) But, they do indeed use "the crosswind runway" on occasion. In the past two years, I rode a plane that used the runway on a day when there was a strong crosswind- and if there's a squall line approaching from the NW, this runway keeps planes out of the storms.

*As to the comment of heavy traffic, that is a pretty big joke for STL...I'm sure the parallel runways help traffic flow occasionally, but most of the time, the airport could probably operate very well off of one runway.

Finally- several years ago, I stumbed onto a random link at http://www.internet.gov that was a short paragraph that spelled out in evanesque black and white procedure how when the winds were this and that they'd use these runways but if the winds were that and this, they'd use those runways. While I forget the details, it seems like this might have been one of those times (based on winds, not that we scraped wing tips). I tried to find that link but was unable.

Odds are I won't do this, but it might be fun to run out there and see if I could find the aircraft.

Yes, I am a failure, I should have been at the fence, with a camera with a big cylindrical lens on it...but that's no fun because I know Brian would reject whatever I'd try to submit because I'm just a parlour-talking ass hat with respect to photography too.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:54 pm

...3BS's back yard....several BIG downed limbs...very windy...the Av-Herald parlour talk section- I note discussion of the crosswind and the fact that we have a single alternate "crosswind" runway (6-24) that might have aligned better with the winds...

Further research would be needed into why they did not use this runway... http://www.internet.gov...spelled out in evanesque black and white procedure how when the winds were this and that they'd use these runways but if the winds were that and this, they'd use those runways...
Upon further research, I see that the winds were not that remarkable...15 gusting to 25...I'm sure Brian and I could handle that in 172's and Cherokees (along with First Aid too).

Still, I cannot reconcile that with the fact that there was very wide spread tree damage and power outage and some impressive wind gusts in past days...one errant gust at the wrong time that misses the anemometer, but hit's the RJ...

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Nice insight.
I should have been at the fence, with a camera with a big cylindrical lens on it...
Concur, but do not fear rejections: They can always shine in your personal collection.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:40 pm

And now, we have ruined the finish underneath the nose of a 727!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... /80975646/

(The video is relatively underwhelming).

I hope the aircraft didn't died in total economic write off disaster!

I think Evan needs to do something about all this belly scraping...maybe an FAR against it.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:50 pm

I think Evan needs to do something about all this belly scraping...maybe an FAR against it.
There should be an FAR and severe economical, legal and physical punishment against vertical filming :x :x :x :x .

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:30 am

There should be an FAR and severe economical, legal and physical punishment against vertical filming :x :x :x :x .
I take it that you reject this photography? I hope you don't get nasty PMs from the photographer.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”