SIA 777 on fire...

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Gabriel

SIA 777 on fire...

Postby Gabriel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:39 am

... and an evacuation was not initated...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 07544.html

Ancient Mariner

Re: SIA 777 on fire...

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:18 am

Patient people those Asians. Or cattle. :roll:
Per

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:55 am

I would be trailing Per to the nearest exit (on the left side)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90QTNgkeIg#t=14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jC-2NhU10Q

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Very impressive fire and photos and glad that everyone seems to be OK.

...and to arm-chair it a bit, should we be doing a better job at getting the water/foam on the fire sooner???...One truck seemed to sit far back, with no water and then very painfully slowly approach the fire once it started spraying.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:27 pm

THAT's going to be paperwork...
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Good idea, I'm wide bodied and would leave a vacuum in my wake. You'll be sucked out of the plane. :mrgreen:
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Heat damage to the wing box may mean the whole wing gets scrapped. Airplane likely to be written off.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Heat damage to the wing box may mean the whole wing gets scrapped. Airplane likely to be written off.
Awfully speculative there...

...NOT

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:53 pm

A LOT (like... 3 or 4) of TOTAL BOEING FIRE DISASTERS in the last months... Who should we blame? :twisted:

Good idea, I'm wide bodied and would leave a vacuum in my wake. You'll be sucked out of the plane. :mrgreen:
Per
Count me -and my hand luggage- in.
"every passenger was reasonably safe while the fire services dealt with the emergency until some idiot took it on his own decision to ignore the cabin crews instructions and opened an exit door on the other side of the aircraft. He escaped but the resulting ingress of smoke and flame killed 150 passengers while the fire crews fought the now increasing conflagration"

How would you live with that ?
I would feel like a hero, of course.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:03 am

I guess I should check in over there...

How many posts has Evanie made pontificating about potential mechanisms to cause such a fire, and procedures to address it?

Have we spouted any good $20 jargon terms, or made derogatory comments about the pilots actions or the aircraft maintenance?

Of course, Evan is my friend as (like me) he might just think about grabbing his carry-on (if the fire is not too awful bad) :mrgreen:

I hope Brianie is feeling ok, I don't see him calling for physical punishment in the quote you have posted. :?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm

You really should. You'll learn that this is just like TWA800.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:29 pm

No missile this time, the fire was caused by the passengers's clapping:
While passengers broke into clapping and cheering and the aircraft turned off the runway, a spark was seen at the right hand side causing the right hand engine and wing to catch fire
http://avherald.com/h?article=49a58209&opt=0

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Like I always said: In- flight structural break up in eighteen months.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Whenever I see this, I am very impressed with the jetphotography...the lighting (especially that glow and in the engine inlet and the flames in the slats and back at the flaps is sooo artistic...and accented with the black smoke.)

I suppose the 'illuminati' at the other place would find the fire behind the engine over exposed the window frame visible on the right and yes, ideally it would be "cropped" to show more ahead and below of the engine and closer to the 1/3/-2/3 composition rule, but hell, it's just a cell phone camera!

I even like the soft fuzzy focus of the background signs and aircraft.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Ahh yes, the old debate as to whether "we amateurs" or "you aviation and fire officials" know better as to what the action should be when flames erupt.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 pm

I suppose the 'illuminati' at the other place would find the fire behind the engine over exposed the window frame visible on the right and yes, ideally it would be "cropped" to show more ahead and below of the engine and closer to the 1/3/-2/3 composition rule, but hell, it's just a cell phone camera!

I even like the soft fuzzy focus of the background signs and aircraft.
Indeed. I fear the following reasons for rejection:
-Cropping/Bad motive/Part of aircraft cut-off.
-Foreground clutter (reflections)
-Underexposed (background)/Overexposed (fire)
-Soft/blurry.
-Noise.
-Horizon unlevel.
-Possibly others.

J

Postby J » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Cracked component, crew lapses cited in SIA 777 fire report

A cracked component in the General Electric GE90 engine was behind a wing fire sustained aboard a Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER on 27 June 2016.

In its final report into the accident, in which none of the aircraft’s 241 passengers were injured, Singapore’s Transport Safety Investigation Bureau has listed a series of safety actions and provided several safety recommendations.

Two hours into a flights from Singapore to Milan, the crew observed a low oil indication for the right engine of the aircraft (registered 9V-SWB), which was shortly followed by vibrations in the control column and the cockpit floor. The crew decided to return to Singapore, descended to 17,000ft and reduced the right-side engine to idle.

Upon landing, the right wing burst into flames. At the request of fire services, which took several minutes to fully extinguish the blaze, the crew did not order an evacuation using the emergency slides. Eventually the fire was put out, and all aboard exited via air stairs.

Upon examination of the engine, which was severely damaged by the fire, it was determined that main fuel oil heat exchanger (MFOHE) had caused the accident. The MFOHE contains a series of tubes, with carry either oil or fuel. Examination showed that an internal leak had occurred between the two paths, owing to a “cracked and displaced” fuel flow tube.

This MFOHE issue had previously been observed in the GE90-115B, and manufacturing changes implemented. In addition, a service bulletin called for heat exchangers produced under the previous process to be removed for inspection during the next engine shop visit.

As of June 2016, however, actions called for in the service bulletin had not been undertaken on 9V-SWB's engines].

“The cracking of a tube in the MFOHE allowed fuel in the fuel flow path of the MFOHE to flow into the oil flow path in the MFOHE,” says the report. “The investigation has not revealed other sources of fuel leak.”

During the flight, the crew had noticed a discrepancy in fuel levels, but did not perform the fuel leak checklist, because this can only be performed when both engines are at the same power setting.

The leaking fuel quickly filled a sump, which is intended to collect engine oil, and subsequently leaked into the booster spool cavity, from which it travelled to the high pressure compressor and the fan duct. This is possible when the engine’s variable bleed valves are open during idle power.

“The gearboxes and the engine bearings, which are usually coated in oil, were found to be dry. These observations suggest that engine oil was displaced from the engine and fuel, in place of oil, was distributed throughout the engine oil system.”

High velocity airflow prevented a fire occurring while the 777 was airborne, but upon landing the fire ignited upon deployment of the thrust reversers.

After the plane came to a stop on the runway, investigators found that the flight crew, who it acknowledges were dealing with a stressful crisis, relied solely on the perspective of a fire commander outside they jet for the status of the fire. The report adds that they received no “fire” indications from cockpit instruments.

Investigators suggest that they could have observed the fire directly through a camera located on the leading edge of the right-side horizontal stabiliser.

“According to the flight crew, they would usually switch on this camera system when they are taxiing the aircraft, as required by the operating procedures,” says the report. “However, in this occurrence, they did not switch on the system because they had not reached the taxiing phase as they had been instructed by ATC to stop at the intersection between the runway and rapid exit taxiway E7.”

Neither did the crew think to open the cockpit escape window, which would have afforded a view of the right wing, or check with the cabin crew.

On the decision not to command an emergency exit, the report says that such a decision is not straightforward. While it does generally make sense to command an evacuation when there is persistent smoke and fire, an evacuation could also expose escaping passengers to a rapidly spreading fire.

Following the event, GE took several actions, such as accelerating the incorporation of the relevant service bulletin and introducing an enhanced engine monitoring algorithm.

One recommendation following the incident includes having SIA update training “to develop its pilots’ ability to always consider alternatives and other resources when they encounter a situation that is not dealt with by any checklist.”

Others include maintenance procedures for GE90-115B engines on the ground, and a suggestion that a periodic internal inspection of MFOHE units be conducted.

Flight Fleets Analyzer shows that 9V-SWB returned to service on 12 November, 2016.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... re-435134/

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Flight Fleets Analyzer shows that 9V-SWB returned to service on 12 November, 2016.

really?!?!
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”