Near wing strike, near wing strike, go around

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Gabriel

Near wing strike, near wing strike, go around

Postby Gabriel » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trrUkKUyhl4

Suggestion, watch in HD and slow motion from 0:35.
It is noticeable that there is an increase in engine thrust shortly after plane start to bank right and shortly before it starts to sink at increased rate. Likely the pilots initiated the go-around at that point but could not avoid the violent touchdown a couple of seconds later.
The right bank happens without any significant aileron or rudder movement, and it is accompanied by a left yaw, which makes me thing of a strong gust from the left *which would cause both the right bank and the left yaw).

Nice recovery by the pilots!!! (although there was a very natural and understandable over-control first).
Also called my attention that, as far as the go around is captured in the video (surely after a stable positive rate of climb), the gear remained down. I wonder if they did that on purpose fearing that there could be any damage to the landing gear retraction/extension system.

Finally, the second landing wasn't precisely greased either. But hey, what they say about any landing that you walk away from...

flyboy2548m

Re: Near wing strike, near wing strike, go around

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Your thoughts on this incident are hereby noted.

As is the fact is that you're once again cross-posting your stuff lest someone miss it, St Joaquin forbid!
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Hmmm...

I didn't like the livery NOR the maneuvering. :shock:

The "opening credits" said 13 knot winds? Ok that's possible, but I'm not sure that represented "the weather".

My largely amateur opinion from a keyboard at zero knots and 500 ft MSL is that the controls seemed to respond late, but that I have no idea of what the wind was really doing or what it really "felt like" up there.

Think that happened with only one autopilot operating?

Thank one of flyboy's Hawaiian volcano saints that the airmanship and aircraft were adequate.

Per Flyboy's comment, I feel a more personal touch when the posts here and there are not_identical.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:41 am

As is the fact is that you're once again cross-posting your stuff lest someone miss it, St Joaquin forbid!
Evanie will probably not reply here, and Not_Karlie will probably not reply there. So it is a very good thing that it is posted in both forums :) .
Finally, the second landing wasn't precisely greased either. But hey, what they say about any landing that you walk away from...
Even more, it looks like the airplane could be reused!
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:58 am

But did you enjoy the video?
If you want to name "cross-posting" the sharing the same video and thoughts on the 2 aviation forums where I am active...

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:04 am

But did you enjoy the video?
No.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”