New Low in Journalism

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

New Low in Journalism

Postby 3WE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/20 ... 100717932/

One set of verbiage says, 'undiscovered'...another says 'unreported'. There's a video with subtitles and lots of human-interest quotes.

So many gaping holes in the story: Was it 'undiscovered' or 'unreported' and what does 'unreported' mean. Tell us about the airport. If it's a really private strip with minimal aircraft and activity, then there's no surprise. AND, I always enjoy how 'flight plans' or the lack of them is covered along with enhanced shock factor! (Add to this that there was probably no control tower... :shock: )

Of course, on last nights Flyover news- we had two employees of the gas company shot and killed out on the job, digging a trench for new gas service. The live, on-the-scene reporter was at the company headquarters..."Workers could be seen consoling each other, but they were too distraught to talk to us...we did however interview this homeowner who lives across the street from the corporate HQ"[/quote].

Yes, the urge for the human angle has reached the point that it doesn't register with the info-babe that there's zero factual connection to some dude who lives across the street from HQ.

Nevertheless, we know that the homeowner felt bad for the murdered employees and their families... :roll:
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Re: New Low in Journalism

Postby 3WE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Further research on http://www.internet.com finds somewhat more traditional reporting with a few more facts.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/2017041 ... on-airport

1) STILL, I must flame Yahoo and People Magazine for putting up such fact-starved crap.

2) The case is looking more interesting...It states that there were several takeoffs and landings after the crash, and finally, about 21 hours after the crash, a pilot calls in.

The article also makes some interesting comments about the ELT & antenna.

AND the article says there was a fly-in BBQ at the airport that ended at 3:00 PM with the plane crashing at approximately 3:10 PM (with no word on how they know that was the approximate time...

...and no witnesses...stragglers after the BBQ. (Not that much better journalism)

Questions for the final report- Who gassed the plane...was the departure time estimated by transactions on a self-serve gas pump, or was there a rampie? Was the plane in a genuinely-hard-to-see area?

3WE

Re: New Low in Journalism

Postby 3WE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm

The comments below the article are interesting too!

The wording of one suggests that he actually took off past the crash and didn't see it.

Also, there was much discussion of who monitors the emergency frequency.

It was my parlour ass-hat assumption that fancy airliner radios had automatic HAL systems that did indeed monitor 121.5...I guess not. FWIW, I always figured it was just as well to 'broadcast' mayday calls on whatever frequency you were on (and where someone might actually be actively listening...(as opposed to ELT's where false activations happen).

My experience with NON DIGITAL 70's era light AC, single NAV-COM radios was that there was NOT a provision to monitor 121.5 (short of deliberately tuning it).

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”