Boeing Bobby Storm Penetration Thread

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Boeing Bobby Storm Penetration Thread

Postby 3WE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Ok, this is a complicated post, but there has always seemed to be a lot of dichotomies and inconsistencies in storm avoidance.

In this youtube, we see a SW 737 fly essentially next to a tornado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsACwJkp0CI I am pretty sure this was a 'warned storm' when the tornado formed.

Bobby proclaims he gives thunderstorms (all kinds) a wide safety berth. I have often argued with him that 'the industry' very often gives storms relatively little berth.

That's a broad brush and it ignores that guys will use their real-time on-board radar to find holes- but this incident sort of supports the, 'hey, it's not raining, who cares if the clouds are ugly, and who cares what shade of purple is in the core of the storm...I'll just fly right at this genuinely nasty looking wall cloud and associated other dark, ominous clouds...'

As a former resident of Useless, TX, I also have repeatedly mentioned that I remember the afternoon of the Delta 191 crash. It was a good old fashioned afternoon towering cumulus...NOT a squall line/rotating/supercell mega storm- at least not a few minutes before they encountered it.

Finally- what is the problem with the tornado-warning department being able to talk to control towers? At DFW, the NWS was issuing stuff for the general public, but the tower was disseminating that he visually saw a shower on final. What the hell happened here in Flyover...Southwest, fly runway heading, cleared for takeoff, never mind the rotating wall cloud 6 miles off the departure end of runway 30L. (I'm embellishing, but...)

Of course, there's gentle thunderstorms (don't tell Bobby that) and the heard mentality if everyone else is getting through with mundane turbulence...AND I know there are diversions and holds...just saying it's not hard to find someone getting close and personal to nasty Cb's.

I still argue: Yeah, we checked the weather, BUT, it's time to depart (or we're on approach)...we got a big, strong, powerful plane...all ahead full...

PS: I may put this there, later for humour/crap-stirring purposes, but if any of the surviving cool folks wish to comment first...
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Boeing Bobby Storm Penetration Thread

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Did they died?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Boeing Bobby Storm Penetration Thread

Postby 3WE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Did they died?
No!

Their cowboy, improvisational airmanship was rewardedded as it usually is and they did liveded to cheat dieding again, with increaseded confidence.

Evan will make eye rolls and call for better screening, training and automation. :roll:
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”