Cirrus ==> Pilot incapacitation?

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Cirrus ==> Pilot incapacitation?

Postby 3WE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 pm

CO?
Medical?
Loss of O2 seems a tad unlikely.

But the real question is if the plane will ever be found and if we'll ever know.

Not sure there'd be much hope for the ELT- pure speculation, but I don't know that they design them super waterproof for the sake of light planes.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/faa-pl ... ocid=ientp
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Re: Cirrus ==> Pilot incapacitation?

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 am

Or does it?
The aircraft, flying at 19,000 feet. The North American Air Defense Command scrambled F-16s from Ellington Field near Houston last night to evaluate the situation while the Cirrus was still airborne. The NORAD pilots reported the only person on board the Cirrus was unresponsive likely due to hypoxia.
https://www.flyingmag.com/no-definitive ... UxNTk2NwS2

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Or does it?
The aircraft, flying at 19,000 feet....
Ok, our brill-yunt popular press said something about 15K which, I THINK, on average means generally functional, but with impaired judgement...

More questions which I imagine may not be answered.

PS: No comments on the streamer YouTubes? You've seen all that years ago and never shared? I've seen a plenty of smoke-trail ones, but the smoke streams really mix up and go away just past the leading edges, unlike the streamers.

AND, I found the secondary stall and spin, from a MEASURED, but G-loaded pull up was impressive and educational...
Last edited by 3WE on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:14 pm

quotie instead of pencilie...

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Ok, our brill-yunt popular press said something about 15K which, I THINK, on average means generally functional, but with impaired judgement...
If you mean Flying mag, it HAD it as 15K, then ammended it to 19K,
Plus, F-16s intercepted the plane and reported that "the only person on board the Cirrus was unresponsive likely due to hypoxia."
https://www.flyingmag.com/no-definitive ... UxNTk2NwS2

It would be very interesting (but unlikely) if they find the plane to see if there was some issue with the built-in O2 system that this plane has.
PS: No comments on the streamer YouTubes? You've seen all that years ago and never shared? I've seen a plenty of smoke-trail ones, but the smoke streams really mix up and go away just past the leading edges, unlike the streamers.

AND, I found the secondary stall and spin, from a MEASURED, but G-loaded pull up was impressive and educational...
That was a nice video. I had seen not those but OTHER videos of streamers put in wings of planes, some of them of "official" test flight (including airliners and small GA planes), and some (very interesting) of simple pilots that did it for their own leaning and sharing. And of course, I had seen that stuff myself in wind tunnels in the University.

The one of the F-70 was very interesting. According to some comments in YouTube from people that understand the language being spoken in the plane, they had to activate some sort of stall-recovery rockets that they installed in the tail for the test flights. I would really like to know the full story behind that one. Remember the Fokker is a T-tail and the title of the video says "deep stall". Did they manage to put the plane in a situation that would be unrecoverable without the rockets? Did they pull the CB (or overrode) the stick-pusher?

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

If you mean Flying mag, it HAD it as 15K, then ammended it to 19K,
Not thoroughly reading original posts and their links? Not that I don't routinely skip links myself.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 am

Not thoroughly reading original posts and their links? Not that I don't routinely skip links myself.
It seems that not carefully enough,

In any event, Flying also had it as 15K and then made it 19K,

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”