Mosquitos on a plane

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Verbal

Mosquitos on a plane

Postby Verbal » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Mosquitoes attack, delay Malaysian Airlines flight at Dhaka airport
UNI (United News of India) 02/23/2018

Dhaka, Feb. 23 -- A Malaysian Airlines flight was delayed by more than two hours due to a disturbing situation caused by mosquitoes at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka.

The incident took place in the early hours of Thursday as the plane was forced to stop from taking off even after approaching the runway, sources at the airport said.

It all started as some 150 passengers on board could not settle down on their seats comfortably because of a sudden mosquito attack.

The flight, MH197, destined for Malaysia, was scheduled for 12:30 am on Thursday.

According to the sources, the Boeing 737 aircraft was heading towards the runway from the airport's Alpha-2 Bay area, but mosquitoes swarmed the plane when passengers boarded it. Greatly irritated by the mosquitoes, the passengers complained to the crew members; at one point, the pilot was forced to return to the Alpha-2 Bay area.

It took a while to bring the situation under control - the crew sprayed aerosol mosquito repellent to kill the mosquitoes, putting the airline staff in an embarrassing position.

By the time the menace was properly dealt with, the flight had been delayed by two hours and 16 minutes.

Some other airlines, too, were troubled in the wake of the situation.

Mohammad Aziz, station manager of Malaysian Airlines at Dhaka airport, said they had suffered a flight schedule collapse due to the mosquito menace.

"A swarm of mosquitoes entered the aircraft when passengers were getting into it from the bay area. The passengers were highly irritated by the mosquitoes," he said.

However, the flight managed to take off after the mosquitoes were killed using repellent spray, Aziz further said.

"We [during the incident] informed the on-duty officials of the airport of the flight being delayed. High-ups from our airlines were not present at the time," he added.

Aziz said the Malaysian Airlines would convey the message to the airport authorities as well.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

3WE

Re: Mosquitos on a plane

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 am

Given my dislike for mosquitoes, my thoughts are not_about Wesley Snipes...instead:

Fire up the engines and suck up mass quantities of the little suckers, squeeze them, fry them and blow them out the back!...or do they mostly just go through those newer, higher-bypass engines? (Still, there ought to be quite a few that hit the actual combustion pathway!)

(Was the problem with the use of by-pass air for cabin climate control?)

What's the effect on flight...will flaps goober up? Reduced performance?

How good did you design the windshield wipers, Verbal?

Why not go up to 30K feet and open a window or something...suck all the little bastards out...and freeze them at those typically cold, high-altitude temperatures.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Given my dislike for mosquitoes, my thoughts are not_about Wesley Snipes...instead:
The actor from "Snakes on a Plane" is Samuel L. Jackson, not Wesley Snipes. But thank you for playing.
Fire up the engines and suck up mass quantities of the little suckers, squeeze them, fry them and blow them out the back!...or do they mostly just go through those newer, higher-bypass engines? (Still, there ought to be quite a few that hit the actual combustion pathway!)
No.
(Was the problem with the use of by-pass air for cabin climate control?)
No.
What's the effect on flight...will flaps goober up? Reduced performance?
No.
How good did you design the windshield wipers, Verbal?
No.
Why not go up to 30K feet and open a window or something...suck all the little bastards out...and freeze them at those typically cold, high-altitude temperatures.
No.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 pm

This post is full of splendid win.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”