What am I missing? A big IL 76

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Peminu

What am I missing? A big IL 76

Postby Peminu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:41 am

Ilooked in this forum and in the military one and couldn't find a thread about the IL 76 that crashed in Algeria on April 11th.
257 casualties.
What am I missing?
Just another cast away from AD.com that reached AD.info island.

Ancient Mariner

Re: What am I missing? A big IL 76

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 am

Ilooked in this forum and in the military one and couldn't find a thread about the IL 76 that crashed in Algeria on April 11th.
257 casualties.
What am I missing?
Interest? Compassion? Ability to read?
Who knows.
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:30 pm

The recent crash in Katmandu has changed my interest in far away crashes.

It would appear there's lots of information, but we are only seeing SOME of the information and SOME of the information is inaccurate or not useful, while OTHER information that would be insightful and YOU WOULD THINK be available, is NOT AVAILABLE....

...AND IT'S BEEN SEVERAL WEEKS!

So- regarding these crashes that are not_in first world, we probably REALLY DO have to wait for the final report.

So yeah, a big plane crashed...sad deal, but what about it...where's some information as to possible causes...could just as well be a meteor (and I say that with some seriousness).

And thanks to Peminu for adding a thread that should be here- even if we are unenthused about the information flow.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 am

257 casualties.
What am I missing?
Ok Peminu, I'll give it a shot.

247 pax and 10 crew in a plane designed to carry 125-140 troops and 5 crew - I think we could be on to something.... :roll:

The cargo bay is 20 m long x 3.4 m high x 3.4 m wide. Can you realistically have two decks, each 1.5 m high? I don't think so.
So 247 people in 68 m2 is 0.275 m2 each - ie a piece of floor space 21 inches x 21 inches (less if you want an aisle) :shock:
But I expect they had no baggage, so it must have been OK.
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:08 am

International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Peminu

Postby Peminu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 am

Ok Peminu, I'll give it a shot.

247 pax and 10 crew in a plane designed to carry 125-140 troops and 5 crew - I think we could be on to something.... :roll:
I'll give it a shot too: Cargo movement shifting the gravity center.

How can you control all those people to move backwards during takeoff like dominoes or to a side like dancing the Macarena?

Also, I don't know if the aircraft is designed to have an even cargo through all the cabin or if you have, for instance, to put more weight in the front or in the back. As you mention, I don't know if they were packed like sardines.
Just another cast away from AD.com that reached AD.info island.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

So I see in Wiki, that a wing caught on fire before it went down...reasonably accurate?

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

So I see in Wiki, that a wing caught on fire before it went down...reasonably accurate?
Well, if a witness recalls seeing it, it must be true. :roll:

I have no Idea what the multiple contributing factors to this accident were.
However, it seems to me that the degree of improvisation involved in squeezing 257 people into a cargo plane intended for half that number, strongly suggests that the adjacent slices of cheese are also likely to be similarly flawed, facilitating the fatal alignment.
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 am

Regarding the shift CG theory, the history channel deal on the 747 where the armored Hummer came lose, they said the plane was aerodynamically ok (based on arithmetic) but that the hydraulics AND a jackscrew got boogered.

Gabieee once also implied that people loads aren’t that heavy compared to fuel loads. (Not_that some math might not_be appropriate here.)

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”