Saha B707 crash in Iran: landed at wrong airport and overran short runway

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Saha B707 crash in Iran: landed at wrong airport and overran short runway

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 am

https://avherald.com/h?article=4c2d9613&opt=0
A Saha Airlines Boeing 707-300 freighter, registration EP-CPP (...) was on approach to Karaj's Payam Airport's runway 30 (length 3660 meters/12,000 feet) when the crew descended towards and landed on Fath's airport 31L (length 1000 meters/3300 feet), overran the runway (...) and burst into flames (...). So far one survivor (the flight engineer) and 16 bodies have been recovered.
(...)
Another aircraft had confused the same airports but gone around in time, see Incident: Taban MD88 at Karaj on Nov 16th 2018, went around from very low height at wrong airport.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

flyboy2548m

Re: Saha B707 crash in Iran: landed at wrong airport and overran short runway

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 am

A crew of 16 on a freighter...awrighty then.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm

This was bound to happen. The short rwy is same heading, almost on the extended centerline, and some 4 NM short of the long rwy, and there was this recent incident where an MD-8-0 full of pax went around from 3 feet after approaching the wrong, short runway.

All that said, there are some isolated rumors (that I find hard to believe, in principle) that this was intentional, not the accident but the landing in the short runway. Rumor has it that it was the last flight of the captain and that he wanted to demonstrate how he could land in the short runway. Being fired or having his license suspended was not a threat for him since he was retiring after this flight anyway. Now, in Iran, I guess the government can kill you for much less than this "trick". Heck, they can kill you for any or no reason.

I hope that the thing had a working CVR and that (more unlikely) we ever learn of its content.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 am

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c2d9613&opt=2048
On Jan 17th 2019 the flight engineer, only survivor of the crash, gave a TV interview from his hospital bed. The flight engineer stated, that the landing was entirely normal, however, at the wrong airport. He stated (translation from Persion to English by a native Persian reader of AVH): "We followed normal procedure, and landed normally. Then all of the sudden we found ourselves at the end of the runway. It all happened so fast that there was no time for any kind of reaction, not even a shout or comment. No one said or did anything as we were all shocked by the suddenness of what was happening. I didn't feel anything after that. I regained consciousness a while later and found myself sandwiched between two bodies with fire approaching from behind. I couldn't move as my clothes were entangled in metal scraps. I saw a youngster trying to help outside the aircraft and shouted. He heard me and helped me out".

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”