Laser DC-3 in Colombia

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Laser DC-3 in Colombia

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

AvHerald:
A Laser Aereo Colombia Douglas DC-3, registration HK-2494 (...) with 14 people on board, was on approach to Villavicencio when the crew declared emergency at 10:40L (15:40Z), the aircraft subsequently lost height and impacted ground at La Bendicion and burst into flames. All occupants perished in the accident.
First flight: 1945
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Laser DC-3 in Colombia

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:43 am

Airplane too old and death toll too few and too far away to garner media attention- Sad truth.

Let us know when the final report is issued- there are probably some swiss cheese layer aspects to this- or poorly-trained pilots + poorly-maintained aeroplanie in a poorly-regulated environment.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 am

"engine failure, propeller could not be feathered" (AVHerald).

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:42 am

From the avherald summary of the preliminary report today, it kinda sounds like they shut down the wrong engine :cry:

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm

From the avherald summary of the preliminary report today, it kinda sounds like they shut down the wrong engine :cry:
It sounded to me that they could not feather the failed engine and hence they didn't have performance to maintain level flight and were forced to descend.

It also sounds like instead of performing an emergency landing under control they finally lost control of the plane. The DC-3 has a quite low stall speed and I would expect a crash landing under control to be more survivable and to leave a longer track on the ground. It almost looks like the plane was dropped from a crane.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 am

It also sounds like instead of performing an emergency landing under control they finally lost control of the plane. The DC-3 has a quite low stall speed and I would expect a crash landing under control to be more survivable and to leave a longer track on the ground. It almost looks like the plane was dropped from a crane.
Doesn't the graphic on AvHerald (overimposed on a picture of the crash) show a flat spin? There's also mention of high rate of descent, but low speed (honest parlour talking asshat question).

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:13 am

Doesn't the graphic on AvHerald (overimposed on a picture of the crash) show a flat spin? There's also mention of high rate of descent, but low speed (honest parlour talking asshat question).
The picture says impact path so I supposed is what the plane did after contacting the ground, not before. Like it hit with the left wing and sort of cartwheeled.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 am

The picture says impact path so I supposed is what the plane did after contacting the ground, not before. Like it hit with the left wing and sort of cartwheeled.
Oh, I see. ¡Gracias! :D

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:27 am

It sounded to me that they could not feather the failed engine and hence they didn't have performance to maintain level flight and were forced to descend.
That would be sufficient, yes, but note (a) the reports that it was the left engine failed, and (b) that the a/c was found with the right engine shut down. Could be that reports (a) were wrong, though. Simon commented on it later on Sunday. (in the comments, not the main article)

If that's what happened it wouldn't be the first time...

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:20 am

That would be sufficient, yes, but note (a) the reports that it was the left engine failed, and (b) that the a/c was found with the right engine shut down. Could be that reports (a) were wrong, though. Simon commented on it later on Sunday. (in the comments, not the main article)

If that's what happened it wouldn't be the first time...
I haven't seen the reports regarding the left engine being the one that failed. But anyway, even if they shut down the wrong engine, even if both engines failed, whatever... My point was that they did not crash under control. In any of these cases a crash landing under control should have been possible and a much better outcome than what happened.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 am

Granted.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”